X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Man Designs Revolutionary New Engine

Re: Illinois Man Designs Revolutionary New Engine

Unbelievable !!

This guy says he has successfully "designed an engine that will be shut off whenever its power isn?t needed and will run
    at the instant it is needed again, which uses no starter and develops 100 percent torque (from) zero speed?.

Impressive 21:1 compression ratio and it does not pre-ignite or stall, even if started in high gear.

Comment

Ceee-riminy!
      If it sounds too good to be true - yadda, yadda, yadda.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

"?I think we?ve got to prove the engine to someone and get it to somebody who can build it,? Langham said."

Yeah, that would be a start.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

they said "21:1 Air Fuel Compression Ratio" what does that mean???

I can see 21:1 air fuel if it's running on diesel, perhaps 21:1 compression ratio too.

The bottom end sounds pretty interesting. All hydraulic? no rods or crank? I bet THAT will be easy to take from drawing board to reality... :
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's almost like the reporter is a journalist, not an engineer. Nor even a gearhead.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The oil companies should be dispatching their black helicopters to the northern Illinois area shortly...

Comment

You've just got to know where to look . . . .

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wads.js...E=PAMPH&PAGE=1

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2008014399

Comment

Thanks Speedzzter, I can see how the design might be functional, but I don't see how it could accomplish all the features the designer claims, at least not the operating efficiency.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Wow. I've heard of the concept before, but never seen a pic.

How do you keep the hyd fluid from aerating...ya seal it. with moving piston rings.?..that are driven by hydrocarbons at 21:1....blow by could be bad.

Seems that a sealed system would generate ever increasing temps.

Cool idea. Hope they make one work. Good luck though.
                    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Sealing things is always a challenge. And if I am looking at the picture right, there are a lot of hydraulic check valves? That'll be fun to make work.

And he still has to get the power from the hydraulic fluid to the wheels....I wonder how efficient the hydraulic motor will be? and what it's speed/torque characteristics will be? and how much it will cost?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Everyone is raising good points.

Getting a patent doesn't require a working model. It just takes a somewhat novel idea which grabs the fancy of the patent examiners. Some criticize the ease of getting patents nowadays, which the critics claim leads to "patent inflation" (see, e.g. http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html)

I also had concerns regarding heat management, working fluid contamination, packaging and other issues.

Although the design seems to simplify prior "hydraulic hybrid" designs by eliminating most of the ICE reciprocating assembly and integrating the main hydraulic pump with the "combustor," I'm not certain that most of the benefits couldn't be realized through the older idea of retrofitting a hydraulic accumulator "stop-start" system to a conventional driveline.

Of course, the billion dollar question is whether the weight and complexity of hydraulic hybrid systems (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic-hybrid.htm) will win out over the weight and complexity of electric hybrid systems.

It could be that neither will "win out" if the market gravitates toward simpler and possibly cheaper interim solutions, such as turbo-diesels, ultra-small combustion engines and (eventually) total electric propulsion (if it ever becomes cheap, reliable, and practical) . . . .

Personally, I think some sort of "start-stop" and KERS system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_brake) is probably worth it if it means that we get to keep V8-on-demand sound and power. (i.e. running on only four of eight cylinders and using active hybrid assist during the 95% of the driving cycle that we don't need to be "throwing revs" "boiling the hides" or "smoking" anyone)

Comment

Working...
                        X