• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IHRA Considers Revising Red-Light Foul Rule for 2010

Re: IHRA Considers Revising Red-Light Foul Rule for 2010

Cool, brake light racers unite.......

Or we could go back to flag man starters. ;D
    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Not a bracket racer, but since I have a keyboard, I have an opinion....

It has been discussed for years and I like the fact they are at least talking about revising it.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

As a major bracket racer - I'll have to stew on that one a bit. This typically only "applies" when your dials are close. If there is .5 or so between the cars, you may see that red in the other lane and if it registers you will most likely fall off a bit and not go red. Maybe - depends on your concentration level for sure. You are "not" supposed to see if if you are on game. ;D But it's pretty bright and if you have to wait about 1 second, you will see it. If is rule gets changed, you'll damn sure sit there like a lump and hit an RT of maybe 1.000 :D

As a track guy - you'll have a bunch of tracks that may say "no, we'll leave it" because they can't afford to pay for a software update to their computers. I'll have to see if Accutime has this built in.

I commend IHRA for trying new stuff. I also heckle them for at least one new stupid rule (fire ext rule for bracket cars) - so maybe we're even.

Comment

Put blinders on the tree, including the top bulb, get rid of cross talk and enforce the worst redlight. This will keep every knucklehead with a big block Chevy on a stick from trying to run 190 mph on the big end and then complaining because it is too windy for him to drive his car.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

New here, long time bracket racer.

I say go for it. This is the way our Final Round IV practice tree works. Would defelintly need to blind the tree. Probably don't need to get rid of crosstakl or blind the top bulb, but I have never driven an electronic car either. Footbrakers forever.

Comment

Crosstalk is for the box guys. Set the computer software up so no red displays on the tree until after both cars are out of the gate. However, it is kinda entertaining to watch people pound the dash going down track after lighting up Big Red.

Comment

This would be the best rule change in the history of bracket racing. In heads up racing the first is the worst and I see no reason why it can't be the same for bracket racing. The worst red light should be the loser. Change the code in the software and if that is too hard just unscrew the red light bulbs. If I leave first, I don't want to know I went red if the other drive still has a chance to have a worst red light.
                While we are on the subject of rule changes, change the breakout rule also. As a spectator I hate to see a driver dialed 10.0 and run 9.999 and lose to a drive that is dialed 9.0 and shakes the tires on the starting line, then coasts to a 19.05 win. In the old days the stagered start was done with car length difference in the start. Both cars left at the same time, and the first to drive across the finish line won. Not the first to slam on the brakes in front of the finish line. Dial a number and the car that runs the closest to that number (over or under) wins.

Comment

I like it.. but the other car can't see that you've red lighted, otherwise he'll just sit and wait and leave late..
                  the racer know'n he redlighted wouldn't matter as they'll know they still have a chance if the other car redlights worse..
                  this is great about time..

Comment

The lights can be programmed not to show until both cars have left. Plus if the tree has top to bottom blinders he'd never know.
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I have always been into heads up racing. Not this, go has fast as you can, but not to fast. Why spend that kind of time and money on a car if all you are doing is running against the clock, not the other car. This is something that can be done with any car or truck on the road. OK, now that I got that out of the way, I do like the idea of not showing the other guy if you red lighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        The lights can be programmed not to show until both cars have left. Plus if the tree has top to bottom blinders he'd never know.
                        it be nice if the NHRA would follow suit..
                        but I'll bet they will not..

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
                          I have always been into heads up racing. Not this, go has fast as you can, but not to fast. Why spend that kind of time and money on a car if all you are doing is running against the clock, not the other car. This is something that can be done with any car or truck on the road. OK, now that I got that out of the way, I do like the idea of not showing the other guy if you red lighted.
                          maybe because racers without cubic money want to run more than one round..
                          and heads up is all about money..
                          most would run heads up if they could afford to, but 95% of racers can't drop 90k into a car

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                            most would run heads up if they could afford to, but 95% of racers can't drop 90k into a car
                            That's my point. You don't need big money or a high dollar car to bracket race. Just the desire to go out and do it. I know, nobody wants to watch plain jane cars go down the track.

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                              That's my point. You don't need big money or a high dollar car to bracket race. Just the desire to go out and do it. I know, nobody wants to watch plain jane cars go down the track.
                              I don't like the hit the brakes at the line either, but without a break out rule, you'll have a 10 sec car with a 11 sec dial in on the window, knowing he's got the other car covered..
                              I think they should change that rule to..
                              if you break out, but it's under a tenth, and you got the other car covered by twice that.. you win, BUT your next dial in MUST be what you just ran or faster.. as the price to pay for breaking out..
                              this will stop the brake'n at the line.. but still keep the dial in honest..

Comment

Working...
                              X