Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dodge Caliber SRT-4 is Dead

Re: The Dodge Caliber SRT-4 is Dead

Might be because it's an incredibly ugly car with zero curb appeal.

Comment

"Fiat does not want to be competing against itself when it inevitably rolls out a US spec version of the Fiat 500 [Abarth]"

BINGO!

The Caliber SRT-4 was never really a worthy successor to the original SRT-4.

Moreover, the domestic side of the FWD "sport compact" segment is about as healthy at the moment as "a cat that's been pressed by a steamroller."

Comment

the only car at chrypar I would buy

FIAT - fix it again tony

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan

FIAT - fix it again tony
          Drive an SRT-8 . . . they're great!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

FIAT - fix it again tony

So long as you have no designs of doing anything to them other than an exhaust system or air intake. Not exactly a "hot rodder friendly" motor.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

In my mind the Caliber was a "what were they thinking" replacement for the Neon. It won't be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                In my mind the Caliber was a "what were they thinking" replacement for the Neon. It won't be missed.
                I thought it was the replacement for the Aztek? ;D
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

FIAT - fix it again tony

So long as you have no designs of doing anything to them other than an exhaust system or air intake. Not exactly a "hot rodder friendly" motor.

Brian
                  Brian, you left out the part about the glass-jawed IRS that tends to blow up at the mention of slicks or drag radials . . . . ;D

Sure, SRT-8s are challenging to rod (but not impossible (see http://www.300cforums.com/forums/tra...turbo-vid.html).

But they're plenty quick out of the box.

And they represent a type of vehicle most probably won't be able to buy new in another five years.

Comment

"Fiat does not want to be competing against itself when it inevitably rolls out a US spec version of the Fiat 500 [Abarth]"

BINGO!

The Caliber SRT-4 was never really a worthy successor to the original SRT-4.

Moreover, the domestic side of the FWD "sport compact" segment is about as healthy at the moment as "a cat that's been pressed by a steamroller."
                    All I can say is, bring on the Abarth! ;D

Comment

Hmmmmm.....

Will Fiatsler keep the "Abarth" name or go with the generic GT/Sport/etc name for the car?

The masses have no clue what the Abarth significance is and to boot, the word is kinda "un-sexy" sounding.

Abarth sounds like a gastro-intestinal condition for those unknowing souls not in the automotive cult.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The new "Neon SRT-4"

Good question but, barf. What a travesty that would be.

Comment

But like Carroll Shelby famously said, "If the car is good, the name won't matter, and if it's no good, the name won't matter." http://www.fordmustangsite.com/shelbymustang.htm

They probably ought to cut a deal with Matt Groening for the use of Bart Simpson to market it . . . Maybe Bart could team up with Luigi (the old Fiat 500 from Pixar's "Cars") . . . . (Or maybe Bart, Luigi, and . . . the ROAD RUNNER . . . BEEP! BEEP!)

The more troubling problem is that the tiny Abarth only pumps out about 132 h.p. stock.

That's sure a long way from "That thang got a Hemi?" Yawn. Zzzzz.

Comment

The more troubling problem is that the tiny Abarth only pumps out about 132 h.p. stock.

It's cute how you dismiss the Abarth because it "only" has 132 HP. I should also note that the curb weights of the Nuova 500 range from a little over 1,900 pounds to a little over 2,100 pounds. (I took the curb weights from the car's Wikipedia page, so feel free to throw a "citation needed" at me.)

On top of that, there's a factory SS kit that increases the power to 160 HP and 170 lb-ft of torque. Considering the size and weight of the 500, it doesn't need gobs of power. That's plenty, just add curves.

Since your allegiance is to Ford, I should also note that the next Focus will debut at Detroit. If Ford brings back the hatchback design, and stuffs a 2.0 EcoBoost into one of the trim levels, then it's going to be tough choosing between that or a Mustang...

Comment

But like Carroll Shelby famously said, "If the car is good, the name won't matter, and if it's no good, the name won't matter." http://www.fordmustangsite.com/shelbymustang.htm

They probably ought to cut a deal with Matt Groening for the use of Bart Simpson to market it . . . Maybe Bart could team up with Luigi (the old Fiat 500 from Pixar's "Cars") . . . . (Or maybe Bart, Luigi, and . . . the ROAD RUNNER . . . BEEP! BEEP!)

Speaking of Shelby, the Abarth 500 in some ways seems like a pretty fitting replacement to the original Omni GLH, only a lot better looking. It doesn't have much for brute power, but it's light and tossable - something I'd rather take on a winding road than a Caliber SRT-4.

Comment

Working...
                              X