Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drag Week Breaking News: Jeff Lutz's 1957 Chevy is Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Week Breaking News: Jeff Lutz's 1957 Chevy is Out!

Re: Drag Week Breaking News: Jeff Lutz's 1957 Chevy is Out!

A Starter? Tis the Season. First hear about Jeff's, then Jay Brown has concerns about his, and now this one too.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yep it got me lost a whole night and 1/2 a day and only needed 3 hrs more
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Larry Larson is now the only one left in Unlimited

Comment

Is that '57 painted flat black? 8)

Comment

Aw maaaan..... >

*@#!

*@#!

Was hoping to see that beast again come Friday night....and a starter, of all things.

Yes, it is kinda flat-black(kinda more like eggshell...but still).

Comment

Does this sound a little weird to anyone??? How the hell does a STARTER take you outta an event like DW??? Sorry, but if a starter takes you outta the game, you shoulda never played in the first place! I'm sure I am just saying what many are thinking.

Comment

Basically the starter locked up on the flywheel causing the motor to appear seized.... ultimately it had to much trash in the Bottom of the pan.... its it simply wasn't worth the risk

Keith.... ( this dude as Straight up... doing it all to the letter of the law.... Shoot Even Larry was under it trying to make it fly again.... Great to have this quality type of competitors on Drag weeek.... )

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                  Basically the starter locked up on the flywheel causing the motor to appear seized.... ultimately it had to much trash in the Bottom of the pan.... its it simply wasn't worth the risk

Keith.... ( this dude as Straight up... doing it all to the letter of the law.... Shoot Even Larry was under it trying to make it fly again.... Great to have this quality type of competitors on Drag weeek.... )
                  thanks for the update. anyone who has been there, KNOWS that guy wasn't going to give up easily for any reason. Especially running in the lead in Unlimited class!!!!

Keep em honest, Keith!

-Scott
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Now that is awesome!

Comment

Ok, not trying to start shit, just trying to understand...

So, the starter locked up, ok, my buddy who was standing on the line when the 57 did his burnout said he backed up and it stalled, he tried to restart it and it would not turn over, although he said it sounded like the starter was banging the flywheel pretty hard.

Now to the next confusing thing, as someone who has built engines for 30 years, I am trying for the life of me to understand how a failed started destroys an engine.. What pan you talking about it having trash in, the oil pan? If THAT is the case, he had a lot more problems then a starter! Sounds like the ENGINE locked and then killed the starter, not the other way around.

Keith, are you trying to confuse me? :P

And cudos to Larry and crew for trying to lend a hand! We used to do that circle track racing, so then we could wreck the shit outta the guy on the track! lmao

Comment

I'm not really clear on it either, but if you watch the video interview on HotRod.com, Lutz seems to describe more engine problems than starter problems. And Kinnan mentioned something about seized cam bearings? I dunno. But he's out.

I bet Larry is doing a lot of math right now. So is the guy with the white Firebird in Pro Street!

So is Eddie, back home!

Comment

The starter was not the problem

I worked on that car all day. He hurt a lifter on the drive. Put new ones it it. got it running sounded good. Made some tune up changes and drove it to the lanes. Did a burn out when he went to pull it into gear the motor just died. Tried to restart it it would move the motor less than a degree on the balancer. We towed him back to the pits. Thought the battery was the problem put the 12v he drives the car on in and no better. Pulled the plugs and tired in nothing. put a breaker bar on the crank could not turn it. Someone said the converter may have turned on the pump. Took that loose. Nothing
                          Larson cam over as the pan was being pulled. There was a bunch of crap in the pan but nothing real bad. Filter was not horible no bearing material was present. Now the oil pan did have copper that had not made it to the filter yet and was not in the top of the engine.

As the motor temp came down it was possible to turn the motor over a little more.

There was nothing wrong with the starter something happened in the motor.

Jeff and his son were two great guys and Jeff raced NMCA SS with a yellow monti carlo but had a garage fire and lost most of his program a year or so ago. This is what he bulit to repalce it.

He told me he will be in Orlando in a few weeks with the car.

Tim
                          86 Mustang
                          454 LSX FTI ls3 Mast 4500 Holley EFI 8" with C4, FTI Hyd Roller 9.24 143.5 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21

Comment

VERY sorry to hear of their problems, I never like to see that, I would always rather race a guy to a win... or not. Not like I was there to race anyone, but I am just saying, and I feel Larson is the same kinda guy.

Anyone that takes Drag Week lightly, WILL get a big smack in the face! DW is the equivalent to Hell Week in the military, a lot don't make it, but the ones that do, feel like a million bucks, although ready to pass out, matter of fact, I DID last year, right in front of the laptop, and then the Aussie guys let me sit there while they took pictures of me.. :o At least I didn't wake up with anything in my MOUTH!!

I wish EVERYONE good luck in making it through the rest of the week, the last couple days are the toughest!

Comment

At least he broke trying (which is better than scores of people who are sitting at home right now).

Making a ~200 m.p.h. 1320 doorslammer last for over 1000 highway miles interspersed with a half-dozen full quarter mile passes is still one of the hardest challenges in grassroots motorsports.

Comment

Working...
                              X