• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Killed By Man Test Driving New Challenger

Re: Two Killed By Man Test Driving New Challenger

I just hate bad news on a Monday !!

Comment

That is one hell of an impact :o Good ol' black boxes.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Welcome to the age of "big brother" black box motoring.

I don't think readers should jump to the conclusion that the deadly Challenger duo are lying about their speed, though. Nearly every Bangshifter has "punched it" before and then been shocked at the velocity which sometimes results.

The real losers (other than the dead people, of course) are the dealer and other Challenger owners. The dealer will most likely get sued by the estates of the deceased because the dealer's agent hatched the ill-advised plan to test the Challenger in traffic in furtherance of obtaining a sale (the "master's business" in the antique "servant/master lingo of the law). The insurance rates of other Challenger owners will go up because of another fatality accident.

Stupid people and crooks are what led to insurance surcharges and contributed to the death of the muscle car during the days of the original Challenger. The car-haters use incidents such as this to attack high performance motoring (notwithstanding the fact that nearly every vehicle currently built will hit 100 m.p.h. and could produce similar carnage)

The salesman and the hapless wheelman customer are probably "judgment proof" (i.e. no exempt assets).

If we had safe and legal places to "wring out" cars (e.g. Autobahn; test tracks), fewer accidents of this nature would happen.

Comment

Brian I know what you mean about this thing pissing you off. I cannot believe (or maybe I just don't want to believe) somebody would actually do something like this. You know it really does mess up two families the family whose members were senselessly killed, but also the family of the driver of the Challenger. That guy just has to serve time, especially with a prior, and thus his family will be torn apart. Of course the salesman's life will be no bed of roses either and if he did encourage the driver to go that fast it shouldn't be. What a tragedy and didn't have to be that way. If you want to have your customers really test your fast cars put one on the drag strip and let them try it out there.

By-the-way, I think they said a head on collision. That Sable almost looks like it was hit in the side. Any ideas about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
            Welcome to the age of "big brother" black box motoring.

I don't think readers should jump to the conclusion that the deadly Challenger duo are lying about their speed, though. Nearly every Bangshifter has "punched it" before and then been shocked at the velocity which sometimes results.

The real losers (other than the dead people, of course) are the dealer and other Challenger owners. The dealer will most likely get sued by the estates of the deceased because the dealer's agent hatched the ill-advised plan to test the Challenger in traffic in furtherance of obtaining a sale (the "master's business" in the antique "servant/master lingo of the law). The insurance rates of other Challenger owners will go up because of another fatality accident.

Stupid people and crooks are what led to insurance surcharges and contributed to the death of the muscle car during the days of the original Challenger. The car-haters use incidents such as this to attack high performance motoring (notwithstanding the fact that nearly every vehicle currently built will hit 100 m.p.h. and could produce similar carnage)

The salesman and the hapless wheelman customer are probably "judgment proof" (i.e. no exempt assets).

If we had safe and legal places to "wring out" cars (e.g. Autobahn; test tracks), fewer accidents of this nature would happen.
            Insurance rates for every Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, Vette, etc. is liable to up if very many more such incidents happen.

Comment

I thought the photo was doctored at first as it appears the Sable was nearly sawed in two. Horrible stuff.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

when I actually read the comments over on CarDomain, I was a little suprised at some of the "spirited" discussion.

I think what most will agree with is that this was a stupid thing for the test driver to do...however test driving a car over 100 is something that most of us have done in our lifetime...and probably still admit that we were stupid for doing it. This guy was caught doing the wrong thing at the wrong and disaster struck. I can't but help to think that I could have been easily in this guy's shoes at one time or another. From the families perspective, they've needlessly lost 2 loved ones too soon, and from the driver's perspective, he'll have to live with guilt over what he's done for the rest of his life.

Comment

Jesus...that's half a Merc.

I agree...that looks at best a severe broadside, at worst that is literally half a Merc.

I'm all for spirited test-drives myself (I paid for new tires on a '06 GTO 6.0) but come on...that's a 3-lane major artery.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Anyone else notice that the road they were on looks like all three lanes are one way? Something doesn't look right. The passenger side looks pretty well intact, maybe the girl was behind the father?

Not that anyone should be driving at that speed on public roads.

Comment

That is horrible. The driver and passengers of the Challenger are complete idiots. In this case, at least the data log from the Challenger will help convict the driver. Clearly, there is a difference between spirited driving and recklessness - or is there? In my opinion, you assume all responsibility once you are the one behind the wheel. My condolences go out to the family of the victims.

I like the suggestions made by JRoberts and Speedzzter of conducting performance test drives on local tracks. That would be a neat campaign by dealerships, but I don't know if that's likely to happen under the present economic circumstances or even under the normal legal BS. Bitchin' nonetheless.

Comment

Here is a side shot of the Sable showing why neither of the people in it stood a chance:
                        http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...8230812&Ref=PH

And here is a shot of the Challenger showing that not only were they doing over 100mph, but they were doing it with their vision obscured by the price written on the windshield:
                        http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...rams=Itemnr=16

Comment

Ummm, remote engine kill button, anyone? If I were selling new cars I would insist on having one on every test drive. If the car was so equipped and the salesman didn't use it for whatever reason, he's culpable. My .02

Comment

best car on the lot ........
                            good luck trying to get to drive a Z06 or something like it at my place
                            you have to buy the car first

Comment

I'm concerned by even the suggestion that the Challenger is the cause. As for the victoms' car, DAMN!! That's scary to look at. I'll be praying for their family. As for the driver, I hope justice is served.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X