Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route 66: Star of the Screen

Re: Route 66: Star of the Screen

When ME and I were making our way back from the Grand Canyon last year we drove as much of the Mother Road as we could. It was an amazing experience and WAY more fun than a super slab. I agree - do it if you can, as much of it as you can.

Dan

Comment

The wife and I have driven 66 from end to end in two legs- Oklahoma City to Santa Monica one year and Oklahoma City to Chicago. For the best time, don't make any plans, just go. Super cool. We would like to do it again. I would like to do it in my 65.

Comment

Let me share some photos of Route 66 - I just spent 5 days traveling I40/Route 66 in my attempt to get my Daily Driver to Hot Rod?s DragWeek in Muncie, IN. I left Redlands at 6:00am Wednesday Sept 9th heading West to Ventura for a chassis dyno session at Magnuson?s (the MagnaCharger folks), left their shop at 8:00pm heading for Muncie ? long story short 1,300 miles later on Friday at 8:30am on I40 my new engine lost oil pressure and I limped into Clinton, OK via Route 66. After assessing my options I rented a box van and trailer and reluctantly headed home.

My first stop was at Clinton, Ok own Route 66 Museum

Again this is on Route 66 in Santa Rosa, NM - lots of good Hot Rod's and related items - worth the $5. I like to think of this as Hot Rod on a Stick

Another Route 66 visit this time in Gallup, NM - this is a 40's something Anglia pickup - or better yet a future Street Rod. The owner wants $12k and the buyer pays to take it off the 40Ft pole - this may be a little high but the 40 foot stick is very high...

More Route 66 finds - this time its what I call a Field of Dreams, this is in Kingman, AZ - many 40, 50 & 60's cars that are in very good shape most with way more paint than rust, the owner says he harvests these from New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada

I had to take the scenic route home after the disappointment of not even making it to day 1 of Drag Week.

Hardy Handshakes - Swede
        DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

ima fairly young guy IMO and have traveled just about all of Route 66 in my travels - not all at once but various times over a number of years - AZ and New Mexico hafta be my favorite parts of it. There are still so many hidden treasures along the route in those 2 states and I make it a point when me and the family stop for a bite to eat we stop at one of the old cafes or resturants along the route. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend you stop at Kellys in Albuquerque, its on Route 66 and was once a old ford dealership in the 30s and is now a micro brewery. I took 8 people there and theyall said the burgers were one of the best burgers they have ever tasted

hidden in Gallup NM I found a 2nd owner 66 chevelle that was optioned with some rare componets and was told it was 1 of 47 or somethin like that - its been a few years since I spoke with the owner but she was well aware of what she had
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

thats a bummer you didnt make it to drag week but at least you made the most of the trip. tho you could have saved the jack for the trailer and just put the truck in the truck. yes thats right. its been done many more times than uhaul knows. lol i have had a durango plus funiture in one, and funiture, camaro, plus sport bike in another with another camaro in tow behind. ive been on several bits and peices of 66 over the last few years but not as much as i would have liked or had the time to enjoy it. i would love to do a drive on the south/western half of it and have time to enjoy

Comment

I'm pretty fortunate.........I get to travel a section of the mother road just
              about every week.

I find myself taking interstates less and less........even though I can save
              time.........I enjoy the sights of the secondary two lanes (and you stand a chance of
              finding cars and parts)
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
              X