Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Video: 1980s Monster Truck Action

Re: Killer Video: 1980s Monster Truck Action

That was before my time, but it looked pretty cool. My favorite part about it was the mud bogs and sled pulls, I don't see them doing that anymore, or maybe I'm just missing it. The jeep was pretty cool too.

Comment

I've watched just about all of these videos on YouTube, and have just as many VHS tapes at home. I love old-school '80s action.

I wish someone could put together a nostalgia Monster Truck exhibition series or tour. I'd love to see all those old trucks again!

Comment

my old man had one of the Ranger Big Foot editions that ford sold. I believe it was an 82, but I am not sure, hell, I was 6 or 7 at the time.
        It got repo'd after my three year old brother knocked it out of gear and it rolled down a hill, through a barn and ended up in a pond. Fortunately, the truck was lifted just high enough that the only thing that got wet was the floor boards, but that thing was huge for its day. It had 35 inch Firestones on it and the it said big foot on the bed sides, and the big rollbar and KC lights. It was pretty sexy.

They started recalling them cause a few wrecks started happening, so my dad quit paying on it, but it got repossesed before he could turn it in for recall.

You win some, you lose some.
        when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

I remember one summer visiting my grandma in Missouri. She took me to Bob Chandler's shop to see the truck. I got to meet him as well and he gave me a ride around (Hazelwood) St Louis. I think it was #3, and he had smaller wheels n tires on it. I want to say it was '81 or'82.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Some great announcers there as well. Army Armstrong, Bret Kepner and the great Steve Evans can be heard in that video.

I was a loyal Monster truck watcher in the early 90's. I remember when Bigfoot dominated so much they had to penalize the truck to keep the championship interesting.
            GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

As a kid ,Bigfoot was my favorite but, Rollin' Thunder, the orange Dodge van with a 6-71 screamin' Detriot was #2 on the list. Skoal Bandit was up there too, it had a Jag V-12 if I recall. Thats what I liked best about the old school trucks, they all sounded different.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Syracuse Fair Grounds, 1985

Comment

Like Rollin Thunder?

You'll love the story I wrote a few years back for Diesel Power magazine. I interviewed Jim Oldaker and wrote the history of the van!

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That rag has come to my mailbox for years, I remember the write up, didn't know that you did it, thats cool! Thats one of the issues I have with Monster Trucks today, a lot of cookie cutter stuff under the skin. I remember a Ford with a Hercules Diesel and had the stack through the hood, I think it was King Kong. How about the Tank invasion that happened around that time?

Comment

The tank invasion deal was kinda cool.

The Virginia Beach Beast Blazer:

My absolute favorite tank truck was Alan Gaines Orange Blossom Express. This thing was bitchin'

Big Foot Fast Traxx

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                      X