Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Testing 17-inch Tires

Re: NASCAR Testing 17-inch Tires

Man I'd love them to do this. Circle track racing parts are a lot cheaper than roadracing. I'd probably be able to find much less expensive rims. I wonder how heavy a 17" steel rim would be?

Comment

wider? man that's dumb. If you want to put more driver ability into equation, and control costs, the tires should be narrower.

Comment

If they do this they could finally put bigger brakes on them too.

Comment

Originally posted by kevracer
          wider? man that's dumb. If you want to put more driver ability into equation, and control costs, the tires should be narrower.
          Wow. NASCAR discovers . . . 1990.

I'm not sure I agree with the narrower tire comment, though. NASCAR needs to increase mechanical grip to reduce reliance on aero without totally freaking out their base of media stars who couldn't/wouldn't drive "stock car" with 1960s levels of grip. Moreover, although the problem of "marbles" might not be as bad as in some forms of racing, the tires need to be less reliant on soft compounds.

That being said, it would be better if they were moving in a more production-based direction. Monster-width 17s are not very "production."

Comment

Bigger tires was my comment when we first started talking about Fuel Inj .

Comment

This is the first year I've had a total lack of interest in NASCAR. I don't think next year is going to be any better. I bet if they ran 20" they'd get a lot of new viewers ;)
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

dumb
                hoosier tried this in 92 -they said no then
                bling to match the wing

Comment

Next we will hear that Mayfield was the test driver....

The wider tire will increase the contact area- great for clean dry tracks, but late in the race when the rubber on the track starts to come up forming marbles, should prove who can drive a loose car, for sure.

May make for some more interesting racing.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    dumb
                    hoosier tried this in 92 -they said no then
                    bling to match the wing
                    I believe Smokey Yunick ran 16''Goodyear on a NASCAR Chevelle back in the 60's he had made up for him and smoked everybody ,although not exactly legal it had merit in what it could do.

Comment

that was a 16 in wheel in 1955 , the chevrolets first win in grand nationals , because firestone had a bunch of tires they made for a briggs cunningham trip to lemans , but he went with dunlop instead , maury rose knew the tires were in an akron junkyard , nascar had a rule about tire width , not diameter , it was legal in september of 55 , but the day after 15 inch became the rule , as smokey/herb thomas didn't have to change tires all day

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        that was a 16 in wheel in 1955 , the chevrolets first win in grand nationals , because firestone had a bunch of tires they made for a briggs cunningham trip to lemans , but he went with dunlop instead , maury rose knew the tires were in an akron junkyard , nascar had a rule about tire width , not diameter , it was legal in september of 55 , but the day after 15 inch became the rule , as smokey/herb thomas didn't have to change tires all day
                        The amazing thing was that the "Motoramic" '55 Chevrolet only won a handful of NASCAR events that year. Oldsmobile won the Manufacturers Championship while Chrysler had the most series wins (27). But from the overhyped advertising of the day, Chevy made it sound like they were dominating, blowing its occassional wins all out of proportion.

Chevrolet never won a championship until 1958 (after GM had conned everyone into the infamous 1957 A.M.A. racing ban on factory sponsored motorsports -- a ban that GM cheated on like Bill Clinton at a college sorority house. (BTW, Ford won the 1956 and 1957 Manufacturers Championship. Ford also won seven straight Championships in the 1960s (1963-1969**)).

**Sadly because Ford killed virtually all factory support of motorsports and "Muscle Parts" programs in November 1970, Chevrolet caught up and passed Ford in the number of championships in the 1970s and 1980s. Ford's stupid decision to pull out of racing meant that it would not win another NASCAR Manufacturers Championship until 1992. Ford was basically splitting Manufacturers Championships with GM in the late '90s and early 2000s, but NASCAR's legalization of the "cheater" SB2 and RO7 engines tipped the scales too far in GM's direction.

Comment

yeah, yeah, yeah, then comes fuel injection, then who knows, maybe even airbags ....

leave it alone, there wasn't anything wrong with what it was!!
                          when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

Originally posted by smack
                            yeah, yeah, yeah, then comes fuel injection, then who knows, maybe even airbags ....

leave it alone, there wasn't anything wrong with what it was!!

There's alot wrong, and has been wrong for about 2 decades,
                            So, have you been under a rock?

Comment

Everyone says they want it to stay the same or like the good old days,but as it stands now it sucks, it needs a change,and bad

Comment

Working...
                              X