Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Twisted Tale of the Great American Truck Racing Series

Re: The Twisted Tale of the Great American Truck Racing Series

Hmm......bet noone figured I'd be checking this out, right?

:D

Shame about the demise of the GATR series(I saw a couple of the races on TV with my dad).....tire technology has come quite a ways from the late 1980's.

I think it could still be done, but would have to have the right promoters behind it....and with NASCAR being as "omnipotent" as they are today, good luck finding a paved oval that would hold one.

Imagine these behemoths on a road course.....Road Atlanta, Sears Point.......

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

Imagine these behemoths on a road course.....Road Atlanta, Sears Point.......
      Ya mean like this?

FIA Truck Racing in Europe. These things haul ass on the road courses.

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Awesome write up Brian. I didn't think about them tearing the track's up, but I guess looking the roads in Fontana, CA would tell me that would happen. Did you see the inertia in those wheels? That first video when the truck hits the wall the front tire is still kicking up dirt :o
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It's pretty amazing. I'm working on a lead to actually interview one of the guys who raced these things. There must be some wild freaking stories to be told. Check out the photo gallery link in the story to see the modifications guys made to the front axles. They cut them, "wedged them" and bolted the ends back on. :o

The truck you saw wreck, EJ Utley's Mack, was actually on the grid to start the race the next day! It did not finishe because of other issues, but they actually thrashed on that thing enough to have it ready to go.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Bruab, if you keep posting all this Big Rig content on here, your going to have to rename this DOWNshift.com ;D ;D ;D.

I'm happy to have sparked the fire. Thats what makes this the greatest site in the world for a gearhead, collectivilly, look at the topics we un-earth of interest.

GREAT job on the blog post.
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

If you go to this facebook page http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=1212707406&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/group.php?gid=120728709491

you will see more of the trucks. My family owned the #27 truck. I also have hours and hours or races on vhs tape which i am getting converted to dvd. Once that happens should post some on you tube...

Comment

Working...
              X