X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dart Adds EFI Bungs to Its Bitchin' Tunnel Ram

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

But I'm naive enough to believe that a controller wouldn't be all that tough . . . especially for those Bangshifters who've messed with Megasquirt-style hacks.
    hacks?? hmph.

Since you already will have an EFI computer available, might as well skip the vacuum pump - with EFI you can idle in vacuum where few carburetors dare trying
    I wasn't saying the people were "hacks." They're clearly not. It's just from the "sealed hood, no tampering" OEM/EPA/NHTSA perspective, anybody building their own EFI for the street is "hacking."

As to the vacuum pump, I'm worried that something as wild as the F-Bomb (or a cheap homemade substitute) wouldn't have enough stored vacuum (even with a vaccum tank) to reliably operate the vacuum motor opening the bypass of the upper intake section. Perhaps it's not necessary.

Comment

yes . some multec injectors with a 345 degree cam can magically get you 20 inches
      efi makes blowby from low tension completly disappear , like my money to the taxman

Comment

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a Stealth Ram or tunnel ram setup is the wrong starting point for a dual length intake. It seems you'd run into some pretty big hood clearance issues trying to extend the runners, even if they make a 90 degree turn above the lower section. I'd rather try a setup that has two plenums, one over each valve cover, like on a Viper motor. Then feed each cylinder with one long tube that goes to the far head and one short tube that makes a 180 and curls back to the near cylinder head. Or take a TPI manifold and add a second set of shorter runners that go under the plenum.

Comment

You 're right, but I was looking for some way to reduce the amount of fab work and improve durability.

A tunnel ram seems to be the best cheap, off-the-shelf base available. Real mechanical fuel injection or Weber-style manifolds are pricey, but would yield more elegant results. Building the whole thing from sheet metal (no cast parts) introduces a huge set of issues and requires much more skill.

Besides, a hydra-head of pipes on top of the mill will really make 'em wonder when you pop the hood down at White Castle. Running some sort of scoop to cover the pipes seems a small price to pay.

Certainly the number of twists and turns the air has to go through reduces efficiency.

Multiple plenums, connected with balance/resonance tubes are probably necessary, even for the tunnel ram-based set-up.

Comment

I think it might be easier to start with a TPI base, runners are a similar length but have horizontal exits.

Comment

No TPI base available for a BBF . . .

Speedzzter (Watching the Japanese Grand Prix)

Comment

hogans has a nice one right on the shelf

Comment

Hogan has a variable length intake for a BBF?

Comment

Working...
                  X