• Name that Motor

Re: Name that Motor

That thang's got a Hemi . . . valve cover . . . on a late-model Buick V8

Comment

Or...it's a Hemi in buick.

Comment

Nope. The distributor on the 2G Hemi points the other way (toward the passenger side).

See http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehi.../photo_03.html (there ARE Mopar Hemi photos at that link, notwithstanding Car Craft's misleading title for it)

And you can see a Buick-style aluminum water pump on the nose.

The photo could be from a better angle, but I'm sticking with the theory that it's simply an elaborate hoax based on some creative valve cover adaptors.

Comment

500 cadillac w/creative cover adapters.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
            500 cadillac w/creative cover adapters.....

X2
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Okay, It could be a Cadillac 500. And those valve covers look like Gen I Hemi valve covers.

Comment

I do believe that the badillac guys have it.

The whole fit of the motor is strange with it being so far up from the firewall. Did the Buick motor sit that must farther back? Maybe CTX can tell us as he is a Riv dude.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Now I'm backing off the Cadillac and going with the Buick because:

1. The distributor looks like it stabs into a separate front cover (Buick-style).

2. The center exhaust ports look to be closer together than on a 472-500 Cadillac.

Compare http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl.../photo_12.html and http://reviews.ebay.com/GM-Big-Block...00000002053785

As for the engine location, it looks like it's sitting forward as it does in the Riv's corporate stablemate, the Toronado.

Comment

It's a Buick Big Block with some valve cover/plug wires on it. The heads are Buick, the distributor is in the right spot for a Buick and at the right angle, There is the line for the PCV valve in the back of the manifold running out, and *chuckle* the PS bracket is a Buick unit. The aircleaner looks familure but I'm not sure off of what.
                    As for the engine location, it's an X-frame 64-70, you have to keep the tailshaft out of the tunnel. The smaller aftermarket brake setup makes it look farther away from the firewall.
                    That is a 67-69 that has been customized. It's either 68-69 doors on a 67 body or someone has shaved the marker lights front and back off of a 68-69.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Okay, I have to change mine too. Dipstick is in wrong location for a Cadillac, unless someone put it into the side of the oil pan.

Have to vote Buick. I'll go with Wildcat Series.....ummm... how about a 401?
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        It's a Buick Big Block with some valve cover/plug wires on it. The heads are Buick, the distributor is in the right spot for a Buick and at the right angle, There is the line for the PCV valve in the back of the manifold running out, and *chuckle* the PS bracket is a Buick unit. The aircleaner looks familure but I'm not sure off of what.
                        As for the engine location, it's an X-frame 64-70, you have to keep the tailshaft out of the tunnel. The smaller aftermarket brake setup makes it look farther away from the firewall.
                        That is a 67-69 that has been customized. It's either 68-69 doors on a 67 body or someone has shaved the marker lights front and back off of a 68-69.
                        Personally, I dig the car. I'm interested in your opinion on it as well(Hemi fake valve covers nonwithstanding).

Brian

Comment

On a similar note, I saw that Hot Rod Deluxe had to print a double correction to a photo caption.
                          The engine in the HRD photo looked similar to this one from the Bangshift galleries:

I'd hate to think that Editor Freiburger got tripped up by his own pet peeve ;)

Comment

I suppose I can photo later, but that's not a caddy motor as the intake manifold (even the CMS or edelbrock) don't sit that high.
                            It's probably a garden variety 400/430/455 buick.
                            Isn't that a "Star Wars" buick aircleaner?

The motors on all of the Buicks (especially the Rivs) sit quite a bit off the firewall.
                            It has the Buick waterpump.
                            Distributor is in the right spot.
                            It does cause me to pause a bit because I don't remember that PS bracket on my 455.

I do like the idea behind the valve covers and it fits with another website - V8 buick, who has a forum especially for Buick owner's stories about blowing the doors off the Hemi powered stuff.....
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The Buick/Hemi feud is cool and I thought this was a fun nod to that.

Sadly, no one else seemed to be noticing this potential oddity. :'(

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X