Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barn Find Wild '70s Custom Road Runner for $3,000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find Wild '70s Custom Road Runner for $3,000!

Re: Barn Find Wild '70s Custom Road Runner for $3,000!

Dayum!! Formula 1 SuperStock tires all around,little chrome guards on the back wheelwells just like my old Swinger had.Neat find and the paint still beads.

Comment

Boy, does that paint job take me back!
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Hopefully, the hose-clamped transmission mount King himself (Mr. Freiburger) scored that time machine . . . considering how much he loves Mopars and keeps saying that the crazy excesses of '70s stylin' are going to come back . . . .

Comment

Hot damn!

So guys, what do you think the chances are of this car staying in its current incarnation and not being restored to factory condition? The paint is way cool, I hope it stays.

If it were mine, I'd change all the fluids, air up the tires and you'd all see my big wide grin as I'm laying rubber down the street!

Comment

WOW!!!... Thats beautiful!!...... Anyone who paints over that should be shot. No one paints like that any more.

Comment

Thats shear awesomeness. That paint job would have cost more than $3,000 at the time it was painted.

My old man's 63 impala was painted in '72(still has the same paint job) with lace and doilies,metalflake and two shades of blue.
              Said it cost him $2,000 backin '72. Car still looks good today but it shows its age, needs floors and the body has the old filler cracking in places. Now how do you restore a car and recreate a paint job like that?

Comment

I just hope that whoever bought it dosnt decides to keep the paint rather than turn it back into another pure resto stocker :-\ and then tell all his buddies at the car show " You shoulda seen the ugly paint job on this car when i bought it........"

Comment

That car is simply uber-cool!!! :o The paint job is the $hit!! What a masterpiece. Anyone even thinking of changing it or painting over it should be executed for war crimes. And in the original thread on the Chevelle site, there are a few who said they'd do exactly that. What a bunch of turds. And especially one guy who is apparently the buyer, who was pissed the seller wouldn't go down to $2500, and that he intends to flip it on ebay, hopefully for $20-30,000. What a scamming loser. But hopefully the car won't be altered; it's magnificent.
                  President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Reading these fawning comments, I've got to conclude Freiburger is right once again about pent-up nostalgia for the tacky parts of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Having lived through that era and been exposed to scores of ISCA-type show cars, "drag rods" and . . . yes . . . vans slathered with "uber-cool" crusts of psychedelia-in-lacquer, I've got to admit that this Beeper doesn't sport the most stomach-turning or tasteless of "mod" hues.

Tasteful? Well . . . not exactly . . . Perhaps only to those sorts who view Elvis-on-Black-Velvet as "art."

Magnificient? Perhaps "magnificent" in capturing the ridiculous excesses of a long lost time.

What this car does evidence is the phenomenon of "more money than taste or good sense" is hardly recent. This antique "art car" is as outrageous in its own way as the tacky $15,000.00 "tribal" paint jobs, carbon fiber body kits, wagon-wheel "dubs" and other "pimpin'" "all show, no go" wastes of money that are currently in fashion.

But,I'm probably more sympathectic to the preservationist side of the hobby than all the folks who wear the cliched "it takes a real man to cut'em up" t-shirts. Thus, I conclude this aesthetic near-abortion probably ought to be preserved in some form.

Condition may be a problem if the vehicle is as cracking and rusty as reports suggest. The materials used back in the day for such self-indulgence are notoriously unstable.

While I don't believe that someone who desires to "turn it back into another pure resto stocker" is a "turd" or a "scamming loser" or "should be shot" (for it is much more challenging to PROPERLY restore and preserve a car than it is to recreate doggerel debauchery of this sort . . . and there is a hardly an over-supply of correctly preserved "stockers") , perhaps if the car is not going to be revived in its current livery, the serviceable panels should be preserved in unaltered form for static display.

As to the business aspects of "flipping," that's simply a reality of supply and demand. I often lament the lazy quick buck artists (self-proclaimed "real men") who indiscriminately hack up restored and restorable original cars into belly-button "catalog/credit card" "street rods" (a rare supercharged "Spirit of Motion" Graham that had survived six decades and then was defaced with a "candy" paint job, a top chop, a Nova "clip" and a boring GMPP crate motor immediately comes to mind) But the reality of market demand is that current fashion often does not favor preservation, "patina" or reversable, period-correct modifications. While I would that everyone value preservation as more important than profit (as do I), it is sadly an unreasonable expectation in a hobby and business as diverse as this one.

Comment

Excellent post, Speedzzter, and I agree with you on virtually all points. From what I read in the original thread, the paint was in fantastic original shape, with no rust or bubbles in the paint, so I was going on that assumption. Of course, if the car was a rust bucket or needed repainting, I don't see how that wonderful paint job could be saved, and so be it. But if the paint is in as excellent shape as it appears to be and as the OP claims, then I think it would be a historical tragedy to destroy it. That's just my opinion, however, and I'm inclined to try to preserve history as much as possible, even this "aesthetic near abortion". Personally, I think this example of this genre is particularly well done, with pleasing colors and patterns.

In reference to the scamming loser, here's what I read on the forum:

"I tried getting it for $2500 but the lowest she would go was $3K.
                      I'm thinking I can flip it on eBay for $20-30k. Hopefully.
                      Man, I wish I could have got it for $2500 though. I almost walked away."

I won't apologize or take back what I said. This guy is a loser and scam artist, and knowing the car is worth perhaps $30,000, he "negotiates" down the price of the car and then has the audacity to lament not shaving another $500 off the unbelievably low purchase price. Some people's greed knows no bounds.
                      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

it is sad that the guy pretty much ripped the lady off, the poor original owner is rolling in his grave.

It goes to show that a good deal can still be found though.
                        That is a sweet car, and i like the scales on the sides of the car. The tires are awesome, they don't even look dry-rotted.
                        when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

Huh... Well, having grown up during this period (Born in 1955), I have strong personal feelings about the cars of that time. While a paint job like that may not be "tasteful" in todays world, it does reflect the tastes and attitudes of the time. Look at the clothing from the late 60's and early 70's, not so tasteful looking back is it? That is what was cool and hip then. The condescending attitude that that paint job would appeal to people who like Velvet Elvises misses the point entirely. Would I paint my car now like that? No, of course not, but to destroy a preserved peice of pop culture like that would be a real shame in my opinion. I suppose some folks see themselves as "above it all" and marvel that the un cultured cretins could possibly enjoy such a tacky display of nostalgia....

Comment

It would reflect the taste and attitudes of SOME from that time, just as a "pure resto stocker" reflects the taste and attitudes of others from that time.

I find this car more of a historical artifact and a curiosity than an item of nostalgia -- perhaps because I am not the least bit nostalgic for such excesses, any more than I will ever be nostalgic for useless excess in any era I've personally witnessed.

Regardless of its nostalgia value (which will mostly shrink from the scene with the passing of those who participated in that era), the preservation value of that bizzare Beeper stems more from the window it gives people who weren't there how things were done (or from my aesthetic perspective, the elaborate and expensive mistakes that some made in the quest to "stand out" or "show off")

As with any excess of fashion, it does not "miss the point" to assess it under standards which transcend momentary fads. The fact that most would not emulate the paint job now probably says more about the prevailing whims of current fashion than any timeless principles of design.

However, the form, function, message, and perhaps even the raison d' etre for that "mod" "groovy" "panel job" certainly do not resonate outside of a narrow subculture and are clearly dated.

Art is, of course, a "way of seeing." Some see Elvis on black velvet, or giant fire-breathing dragons on the sides of vans, or airbrushed pit bulls, scantilly-clad women, and stacks of greenbacks on the trunk lids of lowriders. Beyond the craftsmanship necessary to produce such decorative flourishes, none of these approach high art. Subcultural folk art, perhaps, but not art with any transcendent appeal or value.

While I do believe an automobile can be an object d' art in purified forms, the decorations on this vehicle do not rise above the level of a mere craft. A craft trapped in the excesses of the time that produced it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                              "I tried getting it for $2500 but the lowest she would go was $3K.
                              I'm thinking I can flip it on eBay for $20-30k. Hopefully.
                              Man, I wish I could have got it for $2500 though. I almost walked away."

I won't apologize or take back what I said. This guy is a loser and scam artist, and knowing the car is worth perhaps $30,000, he "negotiates" down the price of the car and then has the audacity to lament not shaving another $500 off the unbelievably low purchase price. Some people's greed knows no bounds.
                              This is certainly an ethical dilemma facing many who unearth "barn finds." The "appliance motorist" heirs who are hawking these dusty deals often are ignorant about what they're selling. And pure capitalism imposes no duty to bid against one's self. Indeed part of the allure of "barn finds" is in the "deal." Paying six figures for a forgotten, motheaten Shelby, Hemicuda or show car is hardly what most of us think of when we hear "barn find." We want a screamin' deal! On the other hand, good conscience ought to caution "barn finders" against taking advantage of clueless sellers.

As to flipping it on eBay, a $30,000 price probably will insure that this car goes to a serious collector who will be committed to preserving it.

Comment

Working...
                              X