Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barn Find Wild '70s Custom Road Runner for $3,000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barn Find Wild '70s Custom Road Runner for $3,000!

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
    Art is, of course, a "way of seeing." Some see Elvis on black velvet, or giant fire-breathing dragons on the sides of vans, or airbrushed pit bulls, scantilly-clad women, and stacks of greenbacks on the trunk lids of lowriders. Beyond the craftsmanship necessary to produce such decorative flourishes, none of these approach high art. Subcultural folk art, perhaps, but not art with any transcendent appeal or value.

While I do believe an automobile can be an object d' art in purified forms, the decorations on this vehicle do not rise above the level of a mere craft. A craft trapped in the excesses of the time that produced it.
    You and your compelling-ness.

You mention "high art". I agree, this is not "high art" but let's not paint with such braod strokes (Sorry, I had to). Within the realm of painting cars, ESPECIALLY within the time period when it was produced, this was most certainly high art. It's art in the way that the paintings on the walls of the caves in Lascaux are art.

Is it a cultural landmark, heck no, I'm with you there, but why do we have to look "beyond the craftsmanship" at all? Taking that tack, I can look "beyond the craftsmanship" of any art I do not like to downgrade it. Stuff like Jackson Pollock's paintings, Dali's sketch work or other abstract artists (kinda like the wacko that painted this plymouth) can be rendered "subcultural" in an instant.

Even the "subcultural" stuff has had its day in the limelight. Johnson, Roth, Von Dutch, and others have been recognized as bona fide artists, right?

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Yes... It reflects the tastes and attitudes of SOME from that era. I think generally that styles or fads of a paticular era are dictated by and are for the asthetics of the younger crowd. So, it makes sense that it would appeal to me, I was a teenager during that time. I don't pretend that it's high art at all, it's simply a nicely preserved example of an art form that is no longer popular. Yes, it's dated, but all pop culture becomes dated eventually. It's very subjective... I look at that car and it makes me smile, someone else will look at it and think "Why would anyone do that? It's excessive and horrible"......

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Art is, of course, a "way of seeing." Some see Elvis on black velvet, or giant fire-breathing dragons on the sides of vans, or airbrushed pit bulls, scantilly-clad women, and stacks of greenbacks on the trunk lids of lowriders. Beyond the craftsmanship necessary to produce such decorative flourishes, none of these approach high art. Subcultural folk art, perhaps, but not art with any transcendent appeal or value.

While I do believe an automobile can be an object d' art in purified forms, the decorations on this vehicle do not rise above the level of a mere craft. A craft trapped in the excesses of the time that produced it.
        You and your compelling-ness.

You mention "high art". I agree, this is not "high art" but let's not paint with such braod strokes (Sorry, I had to). Within the realm of painting cars, ESPECIALLY within the time period when it was produced, this was most certainly high art. It's art in the way that the paintings on the walls of the caves in Lascaux are art.

Is it a cultural landmark, heck no, I'm with you there, but why do we have to look "beyond the craftsmanship" at all? Taking that tack, I can look "beyond the craftsmanship" of any art I do not like to downgrade it. Stuff like Jackson Pollock's paintings, Dali's sketch work or other abstract artists (kinda like the wacko that painted this plymouth) can be rendered "subcultural" in an instant.

Even the "subcultural" stuff has had its day in the limelight. Johnson, Roth, Von Dutch, and others have been recognized as bona fide artists, right?

Brian

Well said, Brian!

Leaving out the fact that the various gimmicks on this Plymouth are completely derivative (just pick up one of Petersen's old "How to Paint Cars" books), I'll admit that it was certainly "high" priced back in the day it was painted. And most likely most of the folks who laid it out and appreciated it were likely "high" at some point. ;D

But unlike the cave paintings at Lascaux, or Pollock's "Art of the Broken Center," or Salvador Dali's surrealism, there is no apparent meaning, transcendent form, symbolism, or appreciable function (other than rust prevention and garnering attention) to that Beeper's layers of lacquer (except perhaps the profligate narcissism which would lead someone to spend that kind of money and time producing a "circus wagon" out of a muscle car).

It's no more "art" than the decorative tooling on a pair of cowboy boots, or the engraving into the window glass of a lowrider, or the ubiquitous "flames" on the side of a street rod. It may be fun to look at and require significant skill to perform, but it is hardly original and it doesn't seem to mean anything.

Just as some graffiti has apparently transcended the limitations of subculture to be generally appreciated as real art (albeit criminally misplaced in application), subcultural expressions can be art, given sufficient originality, form, function, message, etc.

Thus, the debate over the various works of Roth, Von Dutch, etc. is for another day.

Suffice it to say that we all seem to agree that it's an interesting antique that ought to be preserved as a window into the past. How rosy that window appears remains debatable.

I also find it curious that no one has stepped up much to extol that "Warhol-style" VW in the other thread . . . .

Comment

I also find it curious that no one has stepped up much to extol that "Warhol-style" VW in the other thread . . . .
          That's "Warhall" style according to the seller of the VW. :D
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

As in Warhall the barn painter . . . . :D

BTW, Grandpa once brush-painted a 1950 Chevrolet five-window cab "Advance Design Series" half-ton (and slopped a fair amount of paint on himself in the process).

It kind of looked like that VW's paint job, except it was mostly instantly oxidizing John Deere green . :D

Dad, the former owner of the "rolling canvas" didn't seem to appreciate it much . . . .

Comment

that car is AWESOME!!!!
              Being a 70s guy, I must own it
              Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                And especially one guy who is apparently the buyer, who was pissed the seller wouldn't go down to $2500, and that he intends to flip it on ebay, hopefully for $20-30,000. What a scamming loser. But hopefully the car won't be altered; it's magnificent.
                So do you guys seriously think that poster was the buyer? Didn't you notice the kids laughing smileys when he asked the guy if he had a nice ride back to San Diego? The kid who started the thread was from Ontario Canada and faux buyer was from San Diego. The women didn't advertise it so how would someone that far away find it? Oh, and in his very next post, the guy who said he bought it asked what the buyers said when they picked up the car so ...?

Blogspot, I don't know what to make of your eloquently verbose replies. You strike quite the elitist pose. A bunch of car guys express their appreciation for this automotive time capsule and you criticize it for not being art or even "high art". No one before Brian ever mentioned art. They simply said they like it although I guess this is just your way of saying you don't like it only from the the overly wordy vantage point of an unemployed art critic. The car is not art nor do I think it was ever intended to be so to critique it for not being such seems a tad ... I don't know, curious.

Comment

Good catch, Mike. I had my doubts about that poster being the buyer, but didn't spend more time investigating his posts.
                  President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by msc66

Blogspot, I don't know what to make of your eloquently verbose replies. You strike quite the elitist pose. A bunch of car guys express their appreciation for this automotive time capsule and you criticize it for not being art or even "high art". No one before Brian ever mentioned art. They simply said they like it although I guess this is just your way of saying you don't like it only from the the overly wordy vantage point of an unemployed art critic. The car is not art nor do I think it was ever intended to be so to critique it for not being such seems a tad ... I don't know, curious.
                    Sorry, Dude. Only . . . use . . . words . . . necessary . . . to . . . say . . . what . . . thinking . . . of . . .

It was the "fawning praise" of the "beautiful," "masterpiece" paint job and the one-sided criticism of restoration which triggered my hackneyed "Elvis-on-black-velvet" analogy, and which then led to the "art" discussion. I am hardly an "art critic," unemployed or otherwise.

I was clear from the beginning of the discussion that for decades I've viewed such excessive paintwork as overly expensive, unnecessary, and dubious (hardly an elitist's view . . . minimalist and/or purist, maybe . . . ).

However, it should be preserved as a surviving antique and a historical oddity.

Hope . . . that . . . wasn't . . . too . . . wordy . . . . ;D

Comment

Working...
                    X