• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: Twin Stick Transmission Action

Re: The Parting Shift: Twin Stick Transmission Action

That is pretty cool!
    Never seen anything like that before
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

So, one is the trans and the other is a splitter, right? Do you use the sticks alternately? What is the sequence? Nuts and bolts man. I gotta know HOW it works.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

It depends on the make of truck. All Macks use their own brand of transmission, they're all triple main shaft and use the same primary case for the 5 main speeds, then depending on which auxiliary used, which is bolted to the main affectivelly making it one big trans, will turn it into a Duplex or a Triplex. A Duplex uses the 5 spd. main with Lo-split and Direct in the auxiliary, the Triplex uses Lo-split, Hi-split, Direct. Direct being 1 to 1 straight throw. Adding either of these to a 5 spd. makes them a 10 and 15. Now to make the waters more muddy, Mack also had a three stick called a Quadraplex, this third lever was a double reduction that made the lowest gear in a Triplex, which would be 1 Lo-split, twice as low ratio wise. Think house moving. Mack is the most common brand of truck to use more then one stick as a standard.

Now take a standard trans. in a big rig, and add an in line auxiliary, which would have a driveshaft between them, you pretty much have the same set-up as a Mack. These are most common as 2,3,and 4 speed, added to whatever trans. that was used as the primary. A 13spd. main with a 4spd. aux., gives you 54 forward gears. The Diamond Reo wrecker in my post of the Big Rig Racing from the 80's used this set-up. Most of these were lever shifted but, some where air shifted.

Now, don't confuse the air shift divorced auxiliary with the air shifted splitter auxiliary used in the Eaton Roadranger type of trans. A Roadranger is one whole trans. with one stick but, the rear have is the auxiliary, which is air shifted with the knob on top of the shifter. The split pattern is Low,High, Direct, Overdrive. In the low side you simply shift through the pattern, at the last gear you split to High and start over in the pattern however, you now can split each gear in High between Direct and Overdrive. These were common in 9,10,13 and 15 spd, models.

Hope this helps clear up any questions anyone might have.

Roadrangers can be 9,10,13,15 and I think a 15 spd. if I remember right. These are the most common OTR trans. in the US.
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

That's keep'in busy :o
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I drove 2 different trucks back in the 60s...the International had a 10-speed Road Ranger, and it was like an automatic compared to the Pete, which had a 4 X 4. Shifted a normal 'H' on both boxes. You'd start out in first/first, then first/second, and so on. The rub came when it was time to go from first/fourth to second/first or second/fourth to third/first, etc. Took both hands if you didn't want to lose momentum. Always used RPM sync to shift, but had to clutch sometimes when shifting both boxes. Downshifting was the real test. Crap, couldn't even pour a cup of coffee unless there was a long, long, flat stretch of road........
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Jeremy, wasn't there an 18-speed Roadranger?
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Right you are sir. Forgot that one. The 4x4 that Ed is talking about sounds like an old Spicer trans. that morphed in to what became Spicer SST I think. I'll call the old man in the morning and get a tune-up on that( if he's not too grumpy). He was a Spicer dealer for 30 years but, hated their trannys, all about the money, I guess.

He was the master of two stick, always said you needed a beer gut to hold the wheel so you could use to hands. In a B-model Mack that wasn't a problem, Pee Wee Hermans gut would hit the wheel.

He had a wrecker driver that worked for him that was left handed, couldn't drive anything with two sticks to save his life.

Best sounding trucks with two stick set-ups are a local fleet of old Brockway Concrete trucks, 238 Detriot's, 10spd. Fullers with 2 spd. auxiliary. People that don't know poop about trucks in my area can tell those trucks by the sound and amount of shifts when they're coming.

Comment

That first one may not be a pickup. They used the same cab all the way up to the C70, those could be had with a Detroit (Ive only seen 4-53 or 4-71's in them) and tandem axles. They for sure had 13 speeds, and may have had a two stick also.

Comment

When i first started working for the street dept. in 1989 they still had gallion graders from the 1940's that had twin stick shifts that we had to use to plow snow on city streets.Very challenging to drive to say the least.

Comment

Here's a neat site with a lot of two stick Bulldog stuff

I have never had the oppertunity to drive a twin stick mack transmission and I was wondering how they are setup. For example I have herd that the basic setup is a 5 or 6 speed main and a hi-lo-reverse secondary. Is the hi-lo ment to split the gears? Also is there any online info on the different ...

Comment

Cool!

Comment

My great uncle Richard drove twin sticks back in the day and Pop said he always had a black stripe across the front of his tshirt from holding the wheel with his belly. Very few around with those kind of skills today.

Comment

2-stick truckin' is a whole different beast....I've piddled around with a couple of trucks with'em, but 99% of my driving career has been a single-stick.

EatonFullers are good transmissions, wouldn't give a plug nickel for any modern Spicers or*bleck*Meritors....I do miss the distinctive "whine" of an old Fuller RoadRanger transmission in the "big hole"....it's MUSIC, man!

BTW, WELCOME kenworth jon! Fine looking A-model you have there!

Smoke

Comment

thanks tiresmoke and just remember it dont matter if it two sticks or one all you have to do is remember what gear you in. because sometimes the little switches and levers can be a bitch to shift also on a bad day. sometimes technology is not always better but it can be easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X