Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Vehicles Returned So Far in General Motors Buy-Back Program

Re: 15 Vehicles Returned So Far in General Motors Buy-Back Program

With out the indepth cost/return look, it sounds to me like a win. 400 cars bought withOUT rebates and such, only 15 returned. Figuring a probable lowball estimate(?) of ~$2000 in rebates saved per vehicle that's 388x2000=$776,000 saved and on the 15 returned maybe $8,000 in reduced value(?, depending on the vehicle...) 15x8000=$120,000. Using these made up numbers that that's still over half a million saved, which is better than in the hole. Not huge success, but not a failure either. At this point they should be counting pennies too. I think I probably under estimated average rebates and over estimated average de-valuation of a 60 day old used car. Thoughts?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
      With out the indepth cost/return look, it sounds to me like a win. 400 cars bought withOUT rebates and such, only 15 returned. Figuring a probable lowball estimate(?) of ~$2000 in rebates saved per vehicle that's 388x2000=$776,000 saved and on the 15 returned maybe $8,000 in reduced value(?, depending on the vehicle...) 15x8000=$120,000. Using these made up numbers that that's still over half a million saved, which is better than in the hole. Not huge success, but not a failure either. At this point they should be counting pennies too. I think I probably under estimated average rebates and over estimated average de-valuation of a 60 day old used car. Thoughts?
      the returned cars will become "program cars" the resold..

Comment

hell yeah , we resell the lemon law cars to people who aren't whiney crybabies

Comment

A good friend of ours bought a GMC....the buy back deal is an option. They wanted an extra $500, and none of the incentives/rebates could be used if she wanted the option to take it back. In my conspiracy theorist mind I'm calling this a scam.....if the thing is a turd, the General should be kissing my backside to make me happy since I bought a new car in this economy!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I'd say it's a win... this is an offer that you don't want people taking you up on, and having only 15 people do that is a number they can trumpet.

Comment

you have to pay extra for the option to bring back the car??

perhaps I am missing something, but that almost sounds like a commitment from the manufacturer that what you're buying, is likely a piece of crap you might not want to keep
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

perhaps I am missing something, but that almost sounds like a commitment from the manufacturer that what you're buying, is likely a piece of crap you might not want to keep
                I'll say up front that I was not present for the deal. She asked about the bring it back deal, the salesman explained to her that it was an extra $500, and the dealer and manufacturer rebates/incentives could not be applied (maybe like $3000). She then had to sign off that she would not be allowed to "return" the car....still has the manufacturer warranty etc though.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

I'm thinking the motivation for people looking at the return list has more to do with the current economy than product quality. Like the 'If you lose your job you can bring it back' promotions, only it's more broad to say for "Any" reason within 4,000 miles/4months.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

you always have the arbitration lemon law option on ANY CAR
                    gimmick idea , and I love that if they charge the 500 dollar option

Comment

Working...
                    X