1966 Buick Funny Car Returns Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest word is...

...the funny car may be sharing transporter space with a Don Garlits Swamp Rat fueler. ;D
    They are both presently at the Gilmore museum,the digger is on loan by the NHRA museum in Pomona where it's headed back to.

You think these two old racecars will have anything to talk about on the trip out west,lol?

Comment

Re: 1966 Buick Funny Car Returns Home

Somehow, I managed to miss this blog entry.........until now.

First, musclecarjohn, WELCOME to "gearhead central", AKA BangShift.com!

I don't know which is cooler...the idea of an original Buick-powered Buick-bodied flopper from back in the day, or the fact that the original owner's son has "brought it home".

What was/is it's best MPH/ET?

With the relative "explosion"of Buick go-fast parts(as compared to the past), this thing could be a holy terror(wonder what it'd do with a slight hint of "pop"?)...any way it goes, SUPREME CONGRATS on bringing a piece of family history home where it belongs.

Hope to see it in person someday.

Comment

Re: Latest word is...

Originally posted by musclecarjohn
        ...the funny car may be sharing transporter space with a Don Garlits Swamp Rat fueler. ;D
        They are both presently at the Gilmore museum,the digger is on loan by the NHRA museum in Pomona where it's headed back to.

You think these two old racecars will have anything to talk about on the trip out west,lol?
        I think they will be cackleing away!!!

I wonder how a 430 would do with some *POP* in the tank since buick always built a strong high nickle content block and heavy duty rotating assembly. The nailheads were more known for their robust bottom ends but, the 67 and up BBB would be an absolute killer if oiling was not an issue and a set of stage 2 heads were employed.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
          Somehow, I managed to miss this blog entry.........until now.

First, musclecarjohn, WELCOME to "gearhead central", AKA BangShift.com!

I don't know which is cooler...the idea of an original Buick-powered Buick-bodied flopper from back in the day, or the fact that the original owner's son has "brought it home".

What was/is it's best MPH/ET?

With the relative "explosion"of Buick go-fast parts(as compared to the past), this thing could be a holy terror(wonder what it'd do with a slight hint of "pop"?)...any way it goes, SUPREME CONGRATS on bringing a piece of family history home where it belongs.

Hope to see it in person someday.
          Thanks man,car ran a best of 7.79 @ 191mph.

Comment

When I worked for the Buick dealer we had a first year 430 warranty engine on the floor for years. I forgot why it was warranted but Buick let us keep it. Anyhow, we picked parts off that thing for YEARS - a valve cover here, water pump there - that sort of thing. It was still on the floor the last time I was there but that was MANY years ago. The dealership moved a few years back and closed a couple of years ago so I know it's long gone.

Dan

Comment

Not much new to report today guys,still awaiting the transporter to pick up Ingenue and bring her out west,will update this thread as soon as I know more. ;D

Comment

Ingenue was loaded up on Saturday morning and is now headed west.
                I could hear the tone in the sellers voice that reality had finally set in and the car was really leaving his hands...we've all been there before.
                Driver told me if everything goes well,he should be at my house next Sunday which is the day before we leave for vacation so I truly do hope his trip here goes smoothly...keep your fingers & toes crossed guys...arrival pictures to follow. ;)

Comment

In route and heading home...

Ingenue being loaded up last Sat in MI and heading west...if all goes well I should see her on Sunday:

Comment

The condition of that car is friggin' amazing!

I'm not jealous, I'm just totally happy for you that you've gotten it back. Wild stuff.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Great car, better story
                      I'm just sitting here in awe of that car, thanks for letting us all in on your experience.

Comment

Driver just called...

...car will be here Monday morning @ 8am...pics to follow!

GETTING PLENTY EXCITED NOW...! ;D

Comment

Re: Driver just called...

Originally posted by musclecarjohn
                          ...car will be here Monday morning @ 8am...pics to follow!

GETTING PLENTY EXCITED NOW...! ;D
                          Great Car ! Congrats !

Comment

And here she is...!

Wifey was the only one who'd fit,lol:

Seems pretty happy considering she's married to a crazy man...

Dad on the right,gentleman on the left picked up the body originally in the dead of winter in Chicago in 1967:

Comment

Amazing and awesome man. Congrats!!!!!!!

How happy was pop to see it?

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                                Amazing and awesome man. Congrats!!!!!!!

How happy was pop to see it?

Brian
                                X2 COOL !

Comment

Working...
                                X