X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China May Impose Import Tariffs On American Made Cars

Re: China May Impose Import Tariffs On American Made Cars

Think beyond the car aspect of it.

The Chinese government is just trying to protect their "recovery" from recession, and fight off inflation. As their middle class grows it has begun to demand more bang for their buck (yuan?). We should feel flattered that that more bang is our product. Perhaps a direction US marketing companies should explore more vigoriously?

Same thing we should be doing (or have already done) to protect our interests? Maybe, maybe not.... my crystal ball isn't working at the moment.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

In response to our idiot government and their 35% tariff on import tires. The tires that no American mfg makes, that is. Maxxis sends theirs through Taiwan and gets around the tariff. Results of some real good self-centered lobbying effort.

China + Japan hold 30% of the US debt. Best to not piss 'em off. It a global thing and we have to try and compete where we can. Tariffs are not it.

I just bought a safety switch from a guy in Hong Kong. $10 for the switch and it cost him 18 Y to mail it - about .19 cents - to Texas. I sent $16 worth of fittings to Canada and it costs me $1.46 plus a second set of $16 fitting because the first set didn't make it. I have a customer in England - it's about $11 at USPS to buy a reasonable chance at getting them delivered. We have to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon67
        In response to our idiot government and their 35% tariff on import tires. The tires that no American mfg makes, that is. Maxxis sends theirs through Taiwan and gets around the tariff. Results of some real good self-centered lobbying effort.

China + Japan hold 30% of the US debt. Best to not piss 'em off. It a global thing and we have to try and compete where we can. Tariffs are not it.

I just bought a safety switch from a guy in Hong Kong. $10 for the switch and it cost him 18 Y to mail it - about .19 cents - to Texas. I sent $16 worth of fittings to Canada and it costs me $1.46 plus a second set of $16 fitting because the first set didn't make it. I have a customer in England - it's about $11 at USPS to buy a reasonable chance at getting them delivered. We have to do better.
        sorry,, if they don't play fair, we should tariff everything imported in..
        and I don't care if they get pissed..
        they'll sit at the un and request, wait demand we lower your carbon emissions and greenhouse gases..
        all the while they polute the air/the land and the water..
        sorry, it's high time america, cares for #1 first and all others with any change left over..

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre

sorry,, if they don't play fair, we should tariff everything imported in..
          and I don't care if they get pissed..
          they'll sit at the un and request, wait demand we lower your carbon emissions and greenhouse gases..
          all the while they polute the air/the land and the water..
          sorry, it's high time america, cares for #1 first and all others with any change left over..
          probably best if you understood the background before jumping in with your 2 cents. All's fair in love and trade and we've been milking it for decades.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

You need to keep in mind that this is the lawsuit no one wanted. The Unions that represent American tire workers is the driving force behind the court case. I do think, however, that this is a line in the sand moment. The last time we did it (to Japan) suddenly the Japanese were all over buying American products and building plants in the US. I really doubt that the same 'solution' will occur with China. However, while China and Japan hold huge amounts of American dollars - exactly how would they collect if they 'called' our 'debt'?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I know it was a union deal because we know folks in the tire business. It's just bad business.

As for the debt - I'm not an economist, but I'd assume they'd just dump it on the market. Which would probably knock the bottom out of the dollar and our ability to buy anything anywhere. They'd lose in that deal too and I'm sure have no interest in seeing us fail since we pump a lot of $ into their economy. I'm just basically saying that trade sanctions don't work and the way the world is tied together, taking a strong protectionist attitude is close to putting your head in a plastic bag.

Comment

I know it was a union deal because we know folks in the tire business. It's just bad business.

As for the debt - I'm not an economist, but I'd assume they'd just dump it on the market. Which would probably knock the bottom out of the dollar and our ability to buy anything anywhere. They'd lose in that deal too and I'm sure have no interest in seeing us fail since we pump a lot of $ into their economy. I'm just basically saying that trade sanctions don't work and the way the world is tied together, taking a strong protectionist attitude is close to putting your head in a plastic bag.
                Really???????? The world is not tied together, it's all tied to us. China is sucking us dry...their economy has a parasitic relationship with the US economy now and we need to make that symbiotic. Let me explain something to mister import export expert....Tariff is all the power that seems to exist at this point. With companies that sacrifice purchasing from the American public for the sake of cost (WALMART). The union is the checks and balances within the employment, manufacturing and shipping system inside the economy of the United States. In a global market this does not apply since all gvt's and economies do not talk the same language.
                China being a communist GVT has an enormous workforce that works for "NOTHING". It's communist....you do it or we run you or your family over in Tiananmen square. The costs of manufacturing anything there are always going to be cheaper no matter how we reorganize, cost cut, or downsize. The tariff is the only thing keeping the tire market in the US and I'm sure it did not take much to get this imposed because this is the sole problem with the economy right now. It's mouth breathing idiots like you that need a little insight into how this whole thing works, while slenderizing our GVT. DO you really want to fix this, quit buying from CHINA. If it says...Made in China, put it down and buy another similar product made elsewhere. I flew all the way back to the US while on leave just to buy American made shoes.

If you do not like the GVT, change it....VOTE or if that does not seem to work, RUN FOR OFFICE. I'm tired of the armchair quarterback telling me they would do better....get your overweight potato chip eating ass out there and prove it.

BTW, China sent NOTHING through Taiwan to save cost or go around tariffs....read some history.

Comment

Working...
                X