Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEAT! Ford to display 400hp Eco-Boost powered '34 Ford at SEMA

Re: NEAT! Ford to display 400hp Eco-Boost powered '34 Ford at SEMA

Somebody please post some pics of that when you get there. Sounds like it was a fun project for all concerned.

I'd love to stick the 4.0 and 4 speed trans in our 2006 Ranger in a hot rod - that motor kicks butt.

Comment

I know these two guys who are going to be there....
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've got mixed emotions about this one.

On one hand, it's good to see Ford seriously getting back into the turbo game after mostly taking the last twenty years off. And it's good to see that Ford may be conscious of potential RWD and aftermarket applications for its EcoBoost technology.

On the other hand, Plymouth Prowler proved that a "buzzin' half-dozen" is just "wrong" for a street rod. Moreover, the whole gist of the EcoBoost ad campaign is based on a fundamental misconception that six cylinders are inherently more economical than eight.

Swept displacement and compression ratio are more important to part-throttle efficiency than the number of cylinders. Ford could easily make a "right sounding" small-displacement EcoBoost V8 of equivalent size to the 3.5 EcoBoost 6 and the m.p.g. performance would be nearly identical (certainly there might be some ring tension, frictional, and port size/velocity issues that could minimally effect a direct efficiency comparision).

But Ford's silly "6=8" ad campaign is a triumph of consumer ignorance over the truth. "Appliance motorists" believe the myth that cylinder count is relevant to fuel economy. It's an unreliable oversimplification that Ford's marketers are attempting to exploit, rather than bothering to actually educate the public.

A hand-grenade-sized EcoBoost V8 (even one with as few cubes as the old V8-60 (136 c.i.d.)) would be more of interest to hot rodders than any six.

And if an EcoBoost V8 were combined with "electric nitrous" (series hybrid electric motor), ethanol boosting systems' direct, on-demand octane enhancement, driver-controlled manual cylinder deactivation, and other proven efficiency technologies, such an engine could combine spectacular fuel economy, sweet V8 sounds (when desired) and sledgehammer full-throttle performance.

Finally, as I've written before, the EcoBoost 6 has some design limitations in stock form as a hot rod powerplant. http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2009/08/ecoboost-or-ecobust-inside-fords-new.html All of these could be fixed. But a paltry 400 h.p. is small potatoes for a hot rod, even in these energy-starved times.

In short, this is a marketing stunt that is not very predictive of the future of street rodding.

Comment

Neither was the ecotech 4 banger in the 1931 (?) Chevy that GM Performance built a few years back (and actually I think that one made more power!) but it does not detract from the coolness of the car in my opinion.

New motor in old car is always a good formula and I think this '34 is just a pretty engine stand for the ecoboost motor to be showcased.

Brian

Comment

The people building this (EMI) are friends of mine. I have been invited out to see it, but have not had time. I am sure it will be a first class car. It is based on EMI's all steel 34 Ford body. I have seen these bodies as they were building them, and they are a really nice piece.

The 34 Chevy we built, the Flex Fuel Coupe, was powered by a 2.0 liter Ecotech. With a piston, cam, an intake change, and a small turbo it made 535 h.p. @ 6800 rpm. There is a lot more potential, but with a 2000 pound coupe, it was already a lot of power. At 50 mph, on a 5 to 3 downshift, the car would smoke the tires.

Speedzzter, IMO you overthink these vehicles. Every build is not trying to establish a trend. Most are to show what is possible. It doesn't matter if it is a Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or a GM. If it is cool, it is worth doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

New motor in old car is always a good formula and I think this '34 is just a pretty engine stand for the ecoboost motor to be showcased.

Brian
              It's a cool car, which is why I have mixed emotions about it. And you're right on the "pretty engine stand" point.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 ZR2
                It doesn't matter if it is a Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or a GM. If it is cool, it is worth doing.
                somebody send this guy a t-shirt!!!! because that was perfect.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Speedzzter, IMO you overthink these vehicles. Every build is not trying to establish a trend. Most are to show what is possible. It doesn't matter if it is a Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or a GM. If it is cool, it is worth doing.
                  Overthinking everything is an occupational hazard, ;D

And as a long-suffering Ford partisan, I'm tired of the Glass House Gang blowing so many opportunities.

I think this car is a worthy build. I guess my "beef" is with the marketing of the EcoBoost program and Ford's retrenchment from its storied V8 heritage. It's almost as if Harley-Davidson decided to concentrate its highest-profile marketing efforts on something other than V-twins (Oh, no . . . here' comes the Harley bashers)

Ford invented the market for the popularly-priced V8 and its a shame that nobody in Dearborn can seem to figure out how to capitalize on that.

Ford teased us with DOHC Indy V8s, 427 Cammers, and the legendary Cosworth DFV during the "Total Performance" era, but has failed to fully transfer those expectations into dominating street V8s.

Ford invented the pony car . . . and had a SEVEN YEAR NEAR-EXCLUSIVE MARKET for it in the 2000s, but failed to deliver any "knock-out" punches. (See http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-mustangs.html)

Ford and contractor Holman-Moody did more to invent the conventions of stock car racing than just about anyone . . . and now they almost cannot buy a win in the non-production, common-template mess that NASCAR's become . . . .

I could go on and on . . .

So when I see more "wasted bandwidth:" by Ford on worthy but mostly irrelevant stuff like this '34 Ford, I suppose I get a little more frustrated.

OH NO! I'm OVERTHINKING AGAIN!

Comment

I'll be curious to see the final installation of the engine, specifically the intake and exhaust plumbing ... will they do their best to make it attractive, or simply cover it up? Engine appearance is a big part of the hot rod look.

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                      Ford invented the pony car . . . and had a SEVEN YEAR NEAR-EXCLUSIVE MARKET for it in the 2000s, but failed to deliver any "knock-out" punches. (See http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-mustangs.html)
                      Therein lies the problem. The success of the Mustang during it's seven years of exclusive reign made a business case for the Camaro. Had the Mustang faltered, no Camaro would have ever come to market in my opinion. It would have shown the segmet to be dead.

As far as delivering "knock out punches", how can you do that while shadow boxing?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        It doesn't matter if it is a Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, or a GM. If it is cool, it is worth doing.
                        somebody send this guy a t-shirt!!!! because that was perfect.
                        x2!! I would also agree that there is a little over analyzing going on here. SEMA is really the last place we still get to see OE's put effort behind good ol fashion nonsensical hot rodding and we should let it rest at "if it's cool, it is worth doing".

I also don't agree that Ford failed to deliver and knockouts in the past 7 years with the Mustang. You finally had a base model V8 that was worth owning being the 3 valve over the severely under powered and unmodable 2 valve. You had unanimously agreed upon higher levels of fit and finish and refined suspension. THEN they released the GT500 which is a very formidable pony car to say the least at 500 factory horsepower. To top it off Ford brings back the Cobra Jet....in this day in age to see an auto manufacturer release a drag pack/ strip only car is simply awesome and something I thought we would never see again. Ford has been working towards bringing the muscle car days back IMO and to say they haven't done anything in the past 7 years with the Mustang worth mentioning is borderline uneducated. Without the success and continued push of the Mustang there would be no Camaro or Challenger on the road today.

But ultimately Lohnes hit the nail on the head.
                        www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

ford can build all the street rods they want , they have trying oh so hard to get some crate motor program going
                          at nsra lawn chair snooze nats - chevy powered 99.97% of all the thirty two fords
                          that ain't gonna change

Comment

fords - we're #3 - we're #3 !!!

Comment

Originally posted by NITMARE
                              I would also agree that there is a little over analyzing going on here. SEMA is really the last place we still get to see OE's put effort behind good ol fashion nonsensical hot rodding and we should let it rest at "if it's cool, it is worth doing".
                              Perhaps I picked the wrong thread to lament Ford's failure to do EcoBoost V8s. Sorry. We all agree the car's worthy of SEMA (remember, I had MIXED emotions about it).

I also don't agree that Ford failed to deliver and knockouts in the past 7 years with the Mustang. You finally had a base model V8 that was worth owning being the 3 valve over the severely under powered and unmodable 2 valve.
                              Which the F-body people will point out ad nauseam still has less power than a 2002 Camaro Z/28! At a minimum, an up-rated Mach I or Terminator mill should have been available in the Mustang GT from 2005 on.

In the perfect world, Ford would have responded to the LS threat way before 2005 with something along the lines of a DOHC Boss or Coyote (e.g. a wide-bore modular). . . .

You had unanimously agreed upon higher levels of fit and finish and refined suspension. THEN they released the GT500 which is a very formidable pony car to say the least at 500 factory horsepower. To top it off Ford brings back the Cobra Jet....in this day in age to see an auto manufacturer release a drag pack/ strip only car is simply awesome and something I thought we would never see again. Ford has been working towards bringing the muscle car days back IMO and to say they haven't done anything in the past 7 years with the Mustang worth mentioning is borderline uneducated. Without the success and continued push of the Mustang there would be no Camaro or Challenger on the road today.
                              I didn't say the glass was totally empty (I'll leave such uninformed rants for those who are apparently thinking with Dale Earnhardt's brain (post February 18, 2001 model) . . . not mentioning any names :D . . . . )

While I'm perhaps not as excited as I should be over the limited production dealer gouge-fest known as the Shelby GT500 and its various uber-pricey iterations (see http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2008/...be-partly.html) I realize it is a glorious engineering achievement for the lucky few who can afford them.

Likewise, the revival of the Cobra Jet and Ford's renewed emphasis on sportsman drag racing is a very positive development.

And even ordinary Mustang owners can enjoy the superior style, fit and finish of the original pony car (which is a good thing to take one's mind off of the disappearing Camaro SS taillights in the windshield . . . while simultaneously hoping that something doesn't fly off of the Government Motors street racer . . . .)

It doesn't make me "borderline uneducated" to lobby for Ford to do better and refuse to uncritically drink the Dearborn Kool-aide.

Sure, it could have been worse. We could be back in 1975 with a cartoonish, low performance Cobra II and no racing program. Ford could be owned by the Government or the Chinese or even Kirk Kerkorian. Iacocca could still be smoozing aroung the Glass House. Shelby could still be suing Ford and playing with FWD Dodges . . . .

But to just ignore Ford's fumbling during most of the Modular era requires a sycophantic loyalty that I cannot in good conscience accede.

But ultimately Lohnes hit the nail on the head.
                              That's why he's on of the bosses aroung Bangshift land . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X