Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Racing Online reports that Memphis Motorsports Park Has Closed

Re: Drag Racing Online reports that Memphis Motorsports Park Has Closed

Sounds like this could've a Friday Excuse To Go Home and Drink entry.

Sad news......hopefully someone can purchase it and reopen the facility in the future.

Never a good thing to see a dragstrip closed up.

Comment

Wow....

We just finished up our season at MMP and it looked like they were making some improvements to the facility (aside from fixing the speaker wires in the pits that the NHRA pro teams cut down...). Sad news.... I wonder where NMCA is going to hold their finals now?

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

oh boy , a new shopping mall

Comment

Fans of "Two-Lane Blacktop" will remember Lakeland (http://lakelandraceway.com/) near Memphis. Sad.

Memphis is hard on race tracks.

BTW, I went to my first NHRA national event at MMP (hope that didn't curse it . . . but then the places where I went to my first MLB game, first minor-league game and first NFL game . . . Kablooey . . . . Anyone else seeing a pattern here?)

Comment

bang shift memphis motorsport park.., no?

Comment

Big box 'o money? No.

Comment

Sad day for sure! That has been the "PLACE" for us since the "NHRA Cajun Nationals" left State Capitol years ago. Memphis was always the track with "Bite". Hopefully someone will buy it and make it even better!

Comment

:o Holy S*&T! I've been going to Memphis Motorsports park since 1989 for Super Chevy Shows. In fact MMP's website has the 2010 schedule posted SCS was on the list in April. Damn that sucks, I feel like this is a cruel April fool's joke or something.
                  GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

The future did not appear very bright even a few years ago when they offered me the job to run the place.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

dover downs over did it with expanding dover , building a superspeedway in nashville and gateway
                      with nascar declining
                      are they going to sell ?

Comment

or just let the county auction it

Comment

They have been trying to sell for at least a year, maybe two. The company they were trying to sell to could not get financing to buy the facility. I suspect that's because the place was bleeding money so badly.

Hopefully someone saves it, I suspect they will, but there's lots of drag strips around there and frankly, the other tracks have been more attractive to racers than MMP has been. I say that from the conversations I had with the GM.

Brian

Comment

In memory of Memphis Motorsports Park and the Pump Gas Drags...... happier times :'(

Comment

Originally posted by mopower58
                              In memory of Memphis Motorsports Park and the Pump Gas Drags...... happier times :'(
                              Hey!

Third window in, moving left to right. That's me!

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X