Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM Performance Parts Reveals Crate Engines up to 550hp, Smog Legal for Any Car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM Performance Parts Reveals Crate Engines up to 550hp, Smog Legal for Any Car!

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
    I don't think you've dealt with rigorous smog laws?

The package is very important to the government, so that they know that it's emission compliant. If you bought it piecemeal I know that you would for a fact leave off buying the MAF sensor. And most would leave off buying the catalytic converters. Leaving those off void their emission compliancy.

This is similar to getting a CARB certificate/E.O.# for a supercharger to be a smog legal addition to the engine. Only this is the first case I know of where an entire engine package is an emission compliant swap.
    Smog laws where I live are pretty lax - even in metro Atlanta, if you can pass a sniffer test and have a catalytic converter shaped object in the tailpipe somewhere, you can get a '95 or earlier car to pass.

But let's suppose I am happen to be building a '95 Miata with an LS3 swap, to go with one of the later cars that I think this swap would make sense for. And suppose I was moving to California and wanted to make this legal for CARB. If I found a wrecked C6 Corvette and swapped the engine, ECU, and all into the Miata, it would be smog legal; a later passenger car engine in an earlier car pretty much always is. If I went and ordered the same parts from the Chevy parts counter, it's pretty much the same thing as far as the law is concerned, right? So what would the advantage of this crate motor be? Price, ease of installation, or what?

I'd imagine as a production engine, it may not have even needed any extra certification unless some components are different from what was included in production cars.

Comment

Re: GM Performance Parts Reveals Crate Engines up to 550hp, Smog Legal for Any C

As far as legality goes look who owns GM. The unions and the Federal government. They make the rules, and make them work for their advantage not anyone else.

Comment

Re: GM Performance Parts Reveals Crate Engines up to 550hp, Smog Legal for Any Car!

Matt, I don't think Calif allows cross-branding on engine swaps. I may be wrong, but that I think that is correct.

So if that is the case, will these 'crate' engines be legal for ANY make or just GM branded vehicles?
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I've never heard of a thing about cross branding. A car has to have the emissions that go with the newer of the two, the car, or the engine.

I know of plenty of guys who have LS engines in Mazda RX7's.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
            So if that is the case, will these 'crate' engines be legal for ANY make or just GM branded vehicles?
            Yes. This is a really cool deal, that will fully be appreciated when the Feds really start becoming dickheads about national emissions standards.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

within 5 years . all cars will have to pass emissions to be used on public roads..
              this "crate/kit" is the future.. they did this before, with a kit for 3rd gen f bodys..
              they will get around the older cars that didn't have any emiision standards,
              by the rmv idealism, that driving is a privilage, not a right..
              if they offered a f body 427hp ls III, I'd order one for my 86 monty SS..
              they have a gto crate , any I almost ordered one, but I think the f body engine will show up as a crate..
              having a kit, with fed's blessings, is a great resale point..
              having to go to the testing station with a filder of part EO#'S is a royal pain..

Comment

Matt you are exactly right with the swap to a newer power train. You have to look at a few of the details that go with that, that most miss. Namely the purge valve on the carbon canister (or whatever it's call these days..) is operational, getting the check engine light to behave properly and not come on because you are using a different transmission, etc. Some small details. The deal here is that it's a complete package that you know you can get smogged once it's installed because there is a government approved certificate for the package. In CA if you take the route you mentioned it's do-able, but you are talking a bunch of hoops to jump through and hoping the referee smog guy doesn't decide to start splitting hairs with you on things like someone mentioned vehicles emission's limits are set by chassis not engine. Which means there is a chance that even upgrading to the newer engine, you would then have to make sure the tail pipe test is at or lower than the original 4-banger AND at or lower than the LS engine. That's why it's not legal to take an '86 Camaro and cram a '91 Chevy Truck 454 in there, unless you got the factory '91 ECU tuned to pass smog with lower emissions than the '86 (subsitute any valid years, I think you get the drift though). (And folks this is were regulating CO2 comes into play, as that is essentially the only increase in emissions if the two engines are otherwise in perfect running order, it's currently read but not limited or regulated)

The package deal simplifies A LOT. A lot of red tape, a lot of patching two systems together, and not having to worry about your next smog check needing to be shady.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I see what you're saying now. Complying with government rules isn't too hard, it's convincing them you actually did comply that's the hard part. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                    I see what you're saying now. Complying with government rules isn't too hard, it's convincing them you actually did comply that's the hard part. :D
                    Exactly, you can cross every t and dot every i and still be told "Too Bad" because it comes down to the opinion of a smog bureaucrat, some are probably cooler than others, but if they are like dealing with the BLM (like we do in Mining), you can follow every letter of the law and they still say "I don't think it's right so no" and get zero guidance of what you'd have to do to make them happy, also there isn't much for an appeals process in those departments. But in true bureacratic form, if it's already agency approved the sign off is cake.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      This is a really cool deal, that will fully be appreciated when the Feds really start becoming dickheads about national emissions standards.

Brian
                      [/quote] My first thought exactly.

Comment

Working...
                      X