Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEMA 2009: Notes From the Floor

Re: SEMA 2009: Notes From the Floor

Good question about the next big thing. The newer Detroit V8s do seem to be getting some attention, but I can't name a particular fad about what they're being put in or a big new styling trend. Does "big turbos and coil on plug ignition on everything" count as a trend?

Rat rodders are not an easy crowd to market to. They tend to build their cars with a lot of used, period correct parts. I'm not sure Dynacorn could get away with selling new rat rod bodies even if they dipped them in the ocean for a couple months.

Comment

Ah, we found them! It has been a recurring story over the last few months: Camaros have been outselling Mustangs. Now we know why?they were all bought to be modified for the 2009 SEMA show. If there aren't more than 100 new Camaros here (some posing as Firebirds), we'd be shocked. You can't swing a dead cat inside this zillion-square-foot convention center without hitting one.
      Mustangs were like that last year. And the one ugly Camaro :D

Shiny things!
      Oh, hell yea. Come home with 20+ business ideas that you JUST KNOW will fly but you can't afford. Oy - You'll get ASO - Automotive Sensory Overload.

Comment

One other note I'd seen on drifters. A couple years ago, Paul van Valkenburgh predicted that if drifting caught on in the US, it was only a matter of time before someone modified a dirt track solid axle front suspension for drift use and turned the whole sport on its ear. Any sign someone's trying that yet?

Comment

Slipped something into your drink?!?!? I don't recall Chad pouring any drinks........ Too busy working!!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

coil on plug ignition , the 22 year old fad
            quad four it !!!!oldsmobile - ahead of their time

Comment

"Shiny things! Chad is a grizzled SEMA veteran, but I'm a newbie. This is my first time here, and while Chad was giving me a pep talk about our coverage, he kept telling me that I'd really need to pay attention and stay on task because it's super easy to get distracted and burn up hours wandering around like a lost child. Boy, was he right! There's a lot of mud-flappy-type stuff here, but there are also hundreds of booths of stuff we could spend hours gawking at, touching, or dreaming about owning. (I think he slipped some ADHD meds into my drink.)"

My god is'nt that the truth...I had a hell of a time focusing on anything...there is so much to do and so much to see that i think a seizure could easily be induced
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

guys missed the greatest SEMA moments ever
                Smokey Yunick breakfast seminars , man those were great , guys like bobby unser , earl gaerte , kenny bernstein , dick berrgren , french grimes
                my brother , who is about as far away from engine building and just goes to races with us for the party , said the other day , " I really miss getting up early for those smokey yunick breakfast meetings , those were the most fun I had at the sema show " RIP Henry .. you are missed

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X