Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Closer Look at Goliath: Bangshift.com's New Project 1965 C50 Truck

Re: A Closer Look at Goliath: Bangshift.com's New Project 1965 C50 Truck

There are a bunch of guys SERIOUSLY DEDICATED to resurrecting original paint on VW buses over on TheSamba.com. Do a search there and prepare to be impressed by the results.

Lots of good pointers on how to remove many "aftermarket" layers without doing too much damage to what may lie beneath.

Taking their pointers, I've had good success with Graffitti Remover, and for serious spots/types of paint, EasyOff oven cleaner. Seriously.

Do small areas! And be ready to start scraping with a label remover or other plastic dodad with an edge to it. Spray on, wait 5-10 seconds and get moving or you'll go all the way to metal!

Budget about 30 minutes for every square foot, more on body lines and such.

Oh, and have fun!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

time to test that restolum pant job.. thats all over the net..

brain get some 1500 sand paper and some scafolding and wet sand it..

Comment

Stiney, awesome! Thanks for the tip on that.

Mark, scaffolding....that rules!

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That looks like a standard Armstrong steering design :P

I thought you dug the Deere theme, I'm kinda sad to hear the wheels are going white, and back to duals.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Here's a link or two to save some time searching.

Makes sense the VW bus community would be the authorities on this subject, what with all the hippie bus paint jobs on classic german metal.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...=paint+removal

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...=paint+removal

I can't wait to see the phone logo'd truck reappear. Coincidentally, this truck does have the aerodynamics of a phone booth, so its a natural!
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I"m thinking throw some 14gage diamond plate over the holes inthe floor, get the brakes working, and drive it. Save the resto crap for the show car crowd, this is a bad old truck, not a fairy princess.

I like the 235 water neck. The oil bottle is hilarious....that hose normally goes to the air filter, it's the other end of the close pcv system, and it looks like it's blowing a lot of blowby, so someone figured out how to fix it--catch the oil, dump it back in the crank case

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                ...so someone figured out how to fix it--catch the oil, dump it back in the crank case
                HAHA, I didn't think about pouring it back into the engine.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice. Looks like I need to score some graffiti remover!

Home Depot/Lowes ya think?

Originally posted by squirrel
                  I"m thinking throw some 14gage diamond plate over the holes inthe floor, get the brakes working, and drive it.
                  That's the plan Captain Stubin!

The oil bottle is hilarious....that hose normally goes to the air filter, it's the other end of the close pcv system, and it looks like it's blowing a lot of blowby
                  A lot is the understatement of the decade.

Comment

Awesome Brian, I'm jealous since my new 1ton Ford dump looks pretty inferior compared to that beast. Can't wait for more updates. Glad to see that you are putting the duals back on and retaining the 292. Pure driving bliss will surely follow!

I LOVE the fact that you are taking it to the local pulls! Can't wait to see that! Not sure what class you will fit in, though, might have to pull exhibition.
                    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

As long as they let me in the place, I don't care where they put me.

It will be a great example of how gearing works! Plus if I can get it to dig in and climb the ring gear it would make for a killer photo. :D

Brian

Comment

Congrats on the new project! Around here our local truck pulls have a class that they just throw all the oddball stuff in after the "competition" classes have pulled. They'll for sure let you at least hook up and have some fun
                        www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

Brian,the truck is really cool! You can tow the Jav with it too!

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                            Brian,the truck is really cool! You can tow the Jav with it too!
                            tow it,ha, drive it unto the bed

Comment

I know this would be a little farther down the road, but instead of fixing the original seat, why not put a seat from a 2000-2006 Silverado in your beast? Not only would it save you time fixing the old one, but you'll also gain seat belts.

Comment

Working...
                              X