Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Driven Big Rig For Sale at Hemmings

Re: Belt Driven Big Rig For Sale at Hemmings

I'd love to have a truck like that...for no particular explainable reason.

It was noted that the belt drives were to the wheel sets on a rear "tag", to be used in low-traction winter conditions and not meant for the full hit of driveline torque. They might be disconnected in Summer. I'm not sure that would work in hill country where all eight rears should share that load evenly as to minimize driven tires heating up. Interesting stuff which I'd never seen before...I wish the owner had posted more photos.

I understand the problem of differential action being needed between tandem drive axles led to the development of the Detroit Locker device.

Comment

According to my old man, this was a ploy to sell an idea, that didn't really work. Most tractors back then were single axle, and if a tamden, most commonly used a tag instead of a drive axle. In his history lesson, when you needed the extra traction, mud, snow, rain, etc., the belts would slip or burn. It worked the best in the conditions you needed it the least. Belt drives are best left to the Harley boys ;D

Notice that the cab on it is the same that IH used on the R-series, Hendrikson also used it on their trucks of the time.
      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

diomand T...reo?
        diamind reo..
        what in heck is a diamond T
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Ford used the "rubber band drive" into the 60's.

Comment

Working...
            X