Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnist: NHRA Rules and NASCAR Sucks

Re: Columnist: NHRA Rules and NASCAR Sucks

Wolf's irrelevant diversity comments and his boostering of a hometown event aside, he's got a couple of good points:

1. There was too much riding instead of racing at Talladega.

2. NASCAR's "Chase" hasn't manufactured the same level of last-minute "drama" as NHRA's "Countdown" this year.

On the other hand, Las Vegas may not really be much of a NASCAR town. For example, I was in the "NASCAR Cafe" at the Sahara for a few minutes during the infamous Talladega line dance (Sadly I didn't have the time or rental transport to make it out to the NHRA event >). The NASCAR CAFE had the race on only one television at each end of the restaurant . . . with the sound off! All of the rest of the televisions were running NFL and the only sound was of an NFL game . . . IN THE NASCAR CAFE!

(Sure, Vegas is a sports book town, so following the NFL has a pecuniary angle. But not featuring the NASCAR race in the NASCAR CAFE is emblematic of: (a) the tough market for NASCAR in Vegas, and (b) how far NASCAR has fallen during the Toyota/Common-template spec racer era.)

That being said, the NHRA's hardly spotless. 1000-ft fuelers . . . cartoonish carbon fiber Pro Stocks that have no real tie-ins to OEM vehicles . . . small fields in the pro classes (most of those 700 cars don't make television and run while many fans aren't in the stands) . . . rules packages that arguably favor the big pro teams over sportsmen struggling to move up . . . out-of-whack ticket prices.

Comment

Diversity in drag racing is something I love to point out to the circle trackers. I don't care much for NHRA, but women and others have long been a part of drag racing and NASCAR can't seem to figure out how to put any in play. Boooring indeed. My wife could (has) talk with Ashley and have something in common as they both race Mustangs LOL. At a NASCAR race, we'd just be there for the Frito Pie and beer.

Comment

I don't dismiss diversity as a laudable goal in the combination talent and beauty contest that occurs at the top levels of virtually all professional motorsports. However, once the drivers are helmeted and strapped in, ethnicity, skin pigmentation and sex are meaningless.

And it's not as if NASCAR's stakeholders haven't tried to increase diversity. For example, way back in 1978, Humpy Wheeler arranged for Willy T. Ribbs, Jr. to drive Will Cronkite's Cardinal Tractor Ford in the 1978 World 600. After Ribbs reportedly skipped two practice sessions and was busted for allegedly driving the wrong way down a one-way street, Cronkite replaced him with . . . Dale Earnhardt. (Ol' Ironhead's four starts in Cronkite's Ford paved the way for his signing to drive Rod Osterlund's Chevy/Oldsmobile for the 1979 season)

NBA star Brad Daugherty is a full-time owner in the Cup Series with JTG Daugherty Racing. (http://jtgdaughertyracing.com/) And NASCAR is likely encouraging Danica Patrick's proposed move to common-template, spec-racer "NASCARS" (I just can't call 'em "stock cars" anymore).

Even in its current state of disrepair, NASCAR racing can be interesting if you've got a scanner and you're knowledgable about race strategy.

Comment

what ever happened to will cronkite ? he owned ricky rudds #22 chevrolets in 77
          painted black and gold

Comment

I used to be a big defender of NASCAR amongst my peers, but now, it's just boring. I'm sorry, but I had enough of Jimmie Johnson dominating Sprint Cup, making a mockery of the Chase format and doing no wrong. tvtropes.org would call him a Boring Invincible Hero.

This lifelong NASCAR fan will be following the Indy Racing League next year unless drastic changes are made at NASCAR. I just hope the IRL adds some CART mainstays like Surfer's Paradise, Laguna Seca and Road America in the future...

Comment

NASCAR is still very popular, Jimmie Johnson is one of the best drivers ever in the sport. Period. Thanks to Ashley Force Hood, NHRA is getting better and the future looks bright. If you enjoy motorsports and still can't see anything good about these two series, maybe time to start looking for a new thing to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbie Kincade
                NASCAR is still very popular, Jimmie Johnson is one of the best drivers ever in the sport. Period. Thanks to Ashley Force Hood, NHRA is getting better and the future looks bright. If you enjoy motorsports and still can't see anything good about these two series, maybe time to start looking for a new thing to follow.
                well...I've seen nothing good about NASCAR for a few years now - NHRA is better, but still not what it was, especially with the new points system and the loss of any vehicular indentity in funny car (And pro stock these days as well).

Wanna see some real stock car racing? Head down to your local circle track - dirt or asphalt - beats the crap outta millionaire racing any day.

Comment

I suspect that the next time Jeff Wolf tries to pick up his credentials at a NASCAR race, they will have trouble finding his name on the 'cleared' list

Comment

Working...
                  X