Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Schools Adding Trade Education Option

Re: Louisiana Schools Adding Trade Education Option

That's very good news! And something that I hope more school systems follow through with.

Schools today preach to the students that they MUST attend a 4 year college in order to earn a solid living. Well, truth be told college just isn't for some people. And that's a good thing. Because there are numerous jobs out there that need to be filled for skilled trade. But these are not options given to the youth nowadays so many leave HS without any sense of direction. They didn't chose college.....so now what? I was one of these kids. I graduated in 2000 and I was literally left to figure it out on my own after graduating. I worked several jobs and one long term gig that through experience netted me some pretty solid welding and fab skills. And the rest is history. I would have loved to have at least a shove in the right direction coming out of the gate.

Not to mention the fact that there are FAR too many college degree jobs out that are flooded with qualified applicants. it's not always as lucrative as it once was. Leaving you earning 35k a year with 100k+ in student loans.
    www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

"Of course there are detractors of the program who claim it is a cop out and a way for kids to take the easy way out of having to study hard. These are the same idiots who think that anything less than a doctorate qualifies one to be the afternoon fry cook at the local burger joint."

How true!

These are the very same people that have the attitude, what little bit they know about a foreign topic to them, is all that there is to know about said topic. But just try to simplify their field and they'll go ballistic.

For a trade program to be effective, it needs to be treated on an equal basis as other subjects. Students should have to have prerequisite subjects such as geometry and trig. It can't be a place to baby sit delinquents.

I work in an inner city school system. My office in is one of the high schools that have students that are in gangs or ankle bracelets. I had one of the teachers come up and ask advice on behalf of a student that had interest in becoming an electrician. I gave him some advice and brought in a book about refrigeration because it has an excellent, in depth chapter on electrical theory. I explained to the teacher while the student was learning electrical theory, he might as well learn refrigeration at the same time because the EPA refrigerant license is a lot easier to get then the NJ electric license and the kid could get established in a good field easier. Once the teacher saw the book I brought in, he was blown away. He didn't realize that there was so much to know! This is what we have to contend with and have to change.

Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

As this society draws the purse strings tighter due to the economy, many folks are looking to refurbish/repair/remodel rather than buy new. Those of us with tools and the knowledge of how to use them will be the ones who reap the benefits.

If a bank goes belly up, how will the bank employees make a living?

If the business I work for goes belly up, I have no doubt I can use my tools to make a living.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That's some of the best news I've heard come out of that state.

BRAVO to them.......I've nothing against a well-educated person, wish I'd have had the patience for it.

But there's something to be said for someone skilled in a trade.....be it masonry(my late paternal grandfather did this his whole adult life, ran his OWN business....lived comfortably, and the beauty of his work is just amazing) metalworker, carpenter, mechanic, machinist, you name it.....this country was built upon the skills and hard work/sweat equity of skilled tradesmen.

Hopefully the jackasses don't derail this effort....the program sounds like something more schools need.

Comment

the HS I went to had a program like this. You started in 10th grade, they were 3 year programs, or 1 semester electives if you just wanted a taste, and in your senior year, if you took it seriously, you could go out on a co-op and miss half a day of school and make money doing it. Most co-ops usually netted a job after graduation. They programs were everything from welding and machine shop, to construction, electrical, and HVAC, to culinary and cosmetology. There even was a CAD program, though that one usually didn't lead to any local jobs because there are none in that field.

Comment

I think trade schools are great things. I remember the Dean of the University I went to said in a speech (and a paraphrase a bit as I remember..), "This is a University, where you get a diverse education, if you want to focus on one subject go to a trade school" I pretty much lost respect for the guy right there because he knew damn well there aren't trade schools for the Sciences, and probably not for many of the other degrees offered at the University. I recall telling many people that I would go to a Geology trade school if you could show me one.

I'm ashamed to say Cal Poly Pomona after I left has let their general ed curriculum turn to crap, as I was leaving they started to require so many general ed classes the college departments were getting mandates to cut core course requirements to make room for more general ed in the requirements for a degree. That's bull, a core course shouldn't be cut to make room for "Music History" or other bull like that irrelevant to the degree.

Trade schools are good for focused education.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

these teachers , insulated from how the world really works , are clueless
                they also feed the lack of respect that the general public has for the tradesman

vo ed is a joke

Comment

I am taking classes like this right now on Long Island at a technical school (BOCES) and so far it's been great. The school offers everything from auto repair, welding, HVAC to cooking (chef). During the day its all high school kids but at night its all adults. It's all hands on, the classroom has 3 bays with lifts and mostly Snap On tools.

Comment

people in long island pay sometimes 50 k + a year in property taxes to pay for fun time at boces

Comment

Originally posted by 67sunbeam
                      I am taking classes like this right now on Long Island at a technical school (BOCES) and so far it's been great. The school offers everything from auto repair, welding, HVAC to cooking (chef). During the day its all high school kids but at night its all adults. It's all hands on, the classroom has 3 bays with lifts and mostly Snap On tools.
                      Good on you got getting some more education.

Got any photos of your Sunbeam?

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

@SpidergearsMan

You have no idea what your talking about the average property tax is about $9000.00.

Comment

That "debate" is going on right here, right now. The voters just told the school board to stick it with their $24 million trade school program. Not because they don't want the program - they do. The board got the thumbs down because they have no good plan for the money. Maybe because they are all too edumakated to identify with trade school curriculum. That and the same board (maybe not all the same folks, but a similar mind set IMHO) sold off all the VoEd stuff from the schools and closed the programs a few years back. After a few years, then industry comes back and says basically that they can't hire many of the graduates because they are too stupid and not trained to do any real work.

Comment

Working...
                          X