Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Trucks, Cool Ads: 1986 Ford F250

Re: Cool Trucks, Cool Ads: 1986 Ford F250

haha, that's 190 hp really getting after it!

4Lo is a life saver!
    www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

I think I see the Chevy already starting to rust . . . . :D

Comment

Too bad they can't do the same these days ;D 1800lbs of dirt in the bed about do in our F-250 climbing out of pit.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Hummm, seems like alot of Toyota adds these days ;D
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Don't know how many will remember, but back in the early '70's, Ford made a truck commercial using film footage from Charles Bronson's "Mr Majestyk" film. Of course, the commercial was made to showcase Ford trucks toughness; apparently, they figured that they couldn't do any better than what had been filmed for the movie. Pretty cool commercial; the movie wasn't too bad, either!

Comment

Birdman, thanks for joining up!

I just scoured YouTube and couldn't dig up that ad. It sounds awesome.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Ford's better idea....the TTB front end, nothin' but junk!
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Bamf, please elaborate on that thought. Why is the twin I-beam suspension garbage?
                  President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                    Bamf, please elaborate on that thought. Why is the twin I-beam suspension garbage?
                    IMO...its a weak design that does NOT lend well to what I expect from a truck. We all know that the dana 60 is the hot ticket, and even the dana 50 in the 99 and newer trucks is a better design (solid axle).

The TTB, which is based on the dana 50 center section, does not have alot of options when it comes to lockers etc. Lift kits are another headache as far as alignment goes after the truck is lifted, which brings up drastic ball joint wear.

I have a '94 F250 w/TTB front end. Skyjacker 4" lift and a lockright locker. I do fourwheel the truck a ton, probably more than I should a truck of this size. I normally do balljoints every 30-40k and tire wear is bad even after the new alljoints. Uppers have to be special order offset ($118 each) to get the right camber so the inside of the tires don't wear too bad. The other major weak spot is the front shackles. With all the funky axle movement when off road, it tends to bend/break/mangle the shackles and kill the bushings.

If I even show a set of chains to the front axle, It breaks axle shafts. More often than not, it's the outboard driver side stub around the ujoint.

I'd do the D60 swap, but putting $2k plus in this old of a truck isn't gonna happen. I'm holding out for my bro to sell his Dodge, that'll be my next truck.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I never really thought of the Twin I-beam front suspension as anything other than a non-driven axle and it's hard for me to see how it would work with the front wheels driven! I know that one drawback to it is that it doesn't lend itself to being raised or lowered, so you're SOL if you want to do that properly. I guess it doesn't seem to be very good for a work-horse truck, especially a 4WD. I have one in my Econoline van but it's a RWD only (Dana 60 in the back) and so most of the drawbacks don't seem to apply in my case, where the van is not off-roaded anyway.
                      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X