Camaro May Outsell Mustang By Year End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camaro May Outsell Mustang By Year End

Here's the first taste of L.A. Auto Show Week goodness . . . FoMoCo's press release on the '11 V6 Mustang:

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

For 2011, Mustang makes sports coupe news with a new, high-performance, all-aluminum Duratec 3.7-liter DOHC Ti-VCT V-6 that delivers 305 horsepower and an expected best-in-class 30 mpg highway with six-speed automatic transmission - no other vehicle in the industry can beat that combination

Six-speed transmissions - manual and automatic - combine with newly standard limited-slip differential and revised suspension for road-carving driving dynamics and handling

New technology and convenience features include standard integrated spotter mirrors, message center, MyKey(TM) programmable vehicle key and Universal Garage Door Opener

The 2011 Ford Mustang puts 305 high-performance horses in the hands of V-6 coupe buyers with a new, all-aluminum dual-overhead-cam engine that delivers a projected 30 mpg on the highway with six-speed automatic transmission.

For 2011, Mustang's new 3.7-liter Duratec? 24-valve V-6 uses advanced engineering to deliver its power and economy: Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds. Aluminum construction means light weight. It's an engine designed to crank out torque down low, rev to 7,000 rpm and deliver the mechanical music sports coupe lovers crave everywhere in between.

"Mustang is completely transformed with this new engine," said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development. "Everything people love about the car is still there, and now under the hood is a V-6 engine that uses premium technology to deliver the power, the feel, the fuel efficiency, even the sound of the best sports coupes in the world."

With Ti-VCT operating its four valves per cylinder, the new Mustang V-6 powerplant sends significantly more horsepower and torque (305 hp and 280 ft.-lb.) to the rear wheels than its predecessor - despite its smaller displacement. Drivers can get the most out of the new V-6 engine's output using either an all-new six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed automatic transmission.

Projected class-leading fuel economy also is a standard feature:

19 mpg city/30 highway with six-speed automatic transmission, up from 16 mpg city/24 highway on the 2010 model with automatic - a 25 percent improvement

18 mpg city/29 highway with six-speed manual transmission, up from 18 mpg city/26 highway on the 2010 model with manual

Chassis enhancements maintain the outstanding balance and driving behavior Mustang owners expect. Damper tuning and spring rates were revised to provide a smooth highway ride, while a new rear lower control arm and stiffened stabilizer bar bushings improve stiffness and handling for better cornering response.

A standard limited-slip differential provides better handling and more sure-footed grip in poor weather conditions by directing engine torque to the rear wheel with the most traction. The 2011 Mustang is also equipped with larger four-wheel ABS disc brakes, with 11.5-inch front and 11.8-inch rear rotors.

A new Performance Package, which will be available in August 2010, includes:

A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
    Firmer Mustang GT suspension
    19-inch wheels
    Summer performance tires for improved grip
    A strut tower brace for increased chassis rigidity
    Unique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance driving

Mustang technology advances also are incorporated in the structure of the vehicle to improve safety. The 2010 Mustang coupe earned the U.S. government's top five-star crash-test rating, a designation the 2011 model also is expected to achieve.

About Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F - News), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 200,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.

Comment

so it'll equal the f body v6 a few years late..
      I'm thinking the g.m. guys are not gonna stand still..
      he's hope'n this ford 6v isn't like the older ones..

Comment

How do you figure it will be "equal?"

The curb weight for a 2010 V6 Camaro is a whopping 3780 lbs. The Mustang will be ~ 300 pounds lighter. The Mustang's also narrower and shorter than the "plus-sized" Holden . . . er . . . Camaro. The V6 'Stang is also going to pound out more torque than the V6 Camaro. And the Camaro will be saddled with a fragile IRS instead of a Bangshifter-Approved, rock-solid beam axle. The Mustang's already winning the comparisions for ergonomics, build quality, fit and finish.

And Ford's always got the EcoBoost mill on the shelf for an SVO-style equalizer . . . .

Comment

Speedzzter to many people evan if the Mustang makes the same power or more weighs less and is better to build up they will still want the bowtie and claim it to be the best. Too each there own ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

The curb weight for a 2010 V6 Camaro is a whopping 3780 lbs. The Mustang will be ~ 300 pounds lighter. The Mustang's also narrower and shorter than the "plus-sized" Holden . . . er . . . Camaro. The V6 'Stang is also going to pound out more torque than the V6 Camaro. And the Camaro will be saddled with a fragile IRS instead of a Bangshifter-Approved, rock-solid beam axle. The Mustang's already winning the comparisions for ergonomics, build quality, fit and finish.

And Ford's always got the EcoBoost mill on the shelf for an SVO-style equalizer . . . .

like everything, one guy ups the other and then vice versa..
            if the irs can take the 427hp ls
            I'm sure the ft lp of a v6 isn't gonna break it..
            my wife loves the ford..
            we'll more than likely end up with one..
            but... not a v6 and not an unknown v6 first year anything never is all that great..
            no matter who makes it.. japan just gets to test new stuff at home first so the american(blind) buyer never hears about it..
            like I said. I hope this v6 is better than all of fords others..
            it took years for them to get the 3.0 right(ok somewhat right)
            g.m. is no better..
            I hate the weight of all three pony cars..dam safety laws
            I'll take (please g.m. gods) a camaro 427hp/stick a stear wheel/4 tires and brakes.. oh and 2 seats..thats it.. and street legal..
            or a ford.. what ever..
            no pony car should be weight'n in at over 3300 lb unless it's got a bb in it..
            come on g.m. le1 is a calling..
            ford.. you can call your an lx
            make it light, make it fast..
            over and out

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

Haven't we already gone around of how great Ford looks on PAPER and comes up short in real LIFE? ;D (I refer to the OHC Mod Motor discussions)
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                if the irs can take the 427hp ls
                I'm sure the ft lp of a v6 isn't gonna break it..
                "The V-6's ring-and-pinion is smaller than the V-8's . . . ." http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl..._v6_model.html

And anecdotal reports of Camaro driveline failures are already starting to come in. See http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=30226&page=2
                my wife loves the ford..
                we'll more than likely end up with one..
                Smart woman!

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

Haven't we already gone around of how great Ford looks on PAPER and comes up short in real LIFE? ;D (I refer to the OHC Mod Motor discussions)
                You mean the ones that feature the anvil-tough FRPP "Aluminator" crate mill, the 2003-2004 "Terminator" engine, the Shelby GT500/ GT500KR/GT500 Super Snake and the production block antics of turbocharged Mod motor racers such as John Mihovetz (http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...rid/index.html)

While I fully support the move to wider bore centers (mainly just to clearly put to rest the "cubes versus multi-valves" debate that has marked the competition between the LS and the DOHC modular by permitting big-cube stroker DOHCs), I agree with those stubborn Mod Motor stalwarts who regularly demonstrate that cube for cube, a properly outfitted modular is more than a match for obsolete two-valve pushrod lumps.

I also understand that technological superiority is not necessarily a guarantee of market success . . . and that GM's nurturing of the performance aftermarket during the past five decades has created an ideological bias against Fords.

However, if Ford makes good on the "promise" of the "Coyote" and rumored "Road Runner" mills (which is still a big if at the moment), open-minded Bangshifters will have to admit the inherent limitations and obsolescence of pushrod designs.

And I expect that many fans of "Government Motors" will blindly cling to their simple, familiar pushrod engines, even in the face of real, World-class progress at a working-man's price point. Even if the Coyote and Road Runner DOHCs are unquestionably superior in terms of power density, emissions, powerband and performance, many in the nostalgia contingent will never accept the "death" of the OHV (just as many Ford traditionalists never gave up on the Flathead).

And as the junkyards are filling up with old LS truck engines, the monied interests invested in pushing Chevrolet power at all cost will make sure that the LS stays vibrant in the hidebound "low end" of the sport.

So perhaps the realization of mass-produced, high R.P.M., wide-bore center four valve DOHC V8s may end up as a pyrrhic victory in the twilight of the Second Supercar Era. But most Ford fans hope that FoMoCo takes the chance that it's not and makes some history.

Comment

with a vette and a shelby going out the door for the same money..
                  and the vette walks away from the shelby
                  that new powerplant better be dam good,,
                  and if it make a new mustang 5-10k more than the f body..
                  it better fly..
                  4 valves per cyl only means more parts to break..
                  no matter if it a g.m. a ford, a redhead ital.
                  Keep It Simply Stupid
                  that outdated tech is still taking names and kick'n @$$.
                  cheap, simple, oh did I say cheap..
                  a gto all alum ls crate 5k..
                  thats only a mod motor ford mans wet dream..
                  the gt40 5.4 was this great engine, quite short lived, for so much greatness..
                  wish ford great luck with this new motor..
                  but hytech costly isn't the word of the day in an economy that isn't moving..
                  ford gonna look bad if a old school injected 5.0 runs circles around it..
                  even if it only runs with it.. or almost with it. the new hytech wonder will be a big "F"
                  fords got alot of new engines all coming at the same time..
                  this one and the oil burner better be right on the money the first time.
                  or sadly their goose is cooked..
                  they can't loose anymore truck sales..

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                    with a vette and a shelby going out the door for the same money..
                    and the vette walks away from the shelby
                    that new powerplant better be dam good,,
                    and if it make a new mustang 5-10k more than the f body..
                    it better fly..
                    4 valves per cyl only means more parts to break..
                    no matter if it a g.m. a ford, a redhead ital.
                    Keep It Simply Stupid
                    that outdated tech is still taking names and kick'n @$$.
                    cheap, simple, oh did I say cheap..
                    a gto all alum ls crate 5k..
                    thats only a mod motor ford mans wet dream..
                    the gt40 5.4 was this great engine, quite short lived, for so much greatness..
                    wish ford great luck with this new motor..
                    but hytech costly isn't the word of the day in an economy that isn't moving..
                    ford gonna look bad if a old school injected 5.0 runs circles around it..
                    even if it only runs with it.. or almost with it. the new hytech wonder will be a big "F"
                    fords got alot of new engines all coming at the same time..
                    this one and the oil burner better be right on the money the first time.
                    or sadly their goose is cooked..
                    they can't loose anymore truck sales..
                    Old school 5.0's are great cars but since when in stock form can they hang with a 05+ 4.6 3v?

Comment

my .o2...
                      I was a Ford guy when I was young. Then I started working on them. It was fist to see how much simpler a chevy was. and how much easier it was/is to make power with one. now I'm a chevy guy 100%.

With that said, is what one of out domestic auto makers needs to do is make a rock solid v6 and put twin turbos on it.
                      Ford did a decent job on the 3.8 S/C's but they were for boats, i did put on in a mustang and it would walk all over a 5.0 like it was nothing... but working on the thing was a nightmare. A SIMPLE rock solid 6 with turbo('s) needs to hit our market, and soon.

IF I was a big wig at GM or Ford it would already be in the works, if not in production.
                      A lot of auto manufactures forget simple, but that is partly why some cars reach near cult status and some don't. Honda? SIMPLE, easy power.. hehe for what it is. same with the Supra turbo's (one of the fastest head changes I ever did).
                      Same with the SBC.. EASY, SOLID, POWERFUL.

that equals a strong and loyal following.

we NEED a simple, turbo'd 6 cyl making around 450-500 hp box stock and getting 30 MPG off the show room floor.
                      It's not hard, just look at the 90ish Supra...

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
                        we NEED a simple, turbo'd 6 cyl making around 450-500 hp box stock and getting 30 MPG off the show room floor.
                        It's not hard, just look at the 90ish Supra...
                        A turbocharged, direct-injected DOHC V8 of ~ the same cubic inch capacity as the "Supra" engine you advocate would be more "All-American" . . . and would sound a lot better, too. Even smaller V8s in the ~ 2 liter range could prove to be excellent all-around performance engines.

We should note that the turbo Supra wasn't all that fuel efficient:

MPG (city) 16
                        MPG (highway) 21
                        http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/8819.shtml

Under the 35 m.p.g. CAFE standards, performance cars will need a full array of efficiency technologies to survive. The following are likely necessary and/or desireable to increase power density with efficiency:

-- Intercooled turbocharging (initially single staged, but ultimately multiple-staged/VATN or combined with part-time fixed displacement supercharging (http://www.volkswagen.com/vwcms/mast...incharger.html);
                        --"Electric nitrous" (integrated electric hybrid assist motors);
                        --"Start/stop" systems (probably the easiest way to improve city mileage);
                        --On-demand direct ethanol injection (http://www.ethanolboost.com/)
                        -- Acoustic supercharging via variable geometry manifolds;
                        --Variable valve timing & cam phasing (until full electric valve control becomes practical);
                        --Increased RPM limits;
                        --Multiple valves per cylinder;
                        --Waste heat driven turboalternators or turbo-electric compounding;
                        --Cylinder deactivation;
                        --Weight reduction for improved power-to-weight ratios and fuel economy (6 to 8 pounds per horsepower provides striking performance)
                        --Transmissions with six or more speeds (seven and eight speed twin-clutch transmissions are likely)

These technologies are the future of the performance car. Merely revisiting the 1990s Supra or slapping an antique full-time Roots on a two-valve OHV small block (i.e. the 14/20 m.p.g. $22,869.95 LS9 in the $100,000 Corvette ZR1)won't get it done.

At least Ford is moving the right direction, even if it is a bit slow.

Comment

The supras got bad miles for a few reason, one of which was factory 4.30 gears...

I'm not saying build a supra, I'm saying use some turbos on our performance cars.
                          look at the 2010 SHO for example, why doesn't an engine like that make it to the stang? that's my point here....

Comment

Is that not the motor slated for 2011?

Albeit w/ 315hp, not 365.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                              Is that not the motor slated for 2011?

Albeit w/ 315hp, not 365.
                              Unturbocharged, of course.

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
                              I'm not saying build a supra, I'm saying use some turbos on our performance cars.
                              I'm all in favor of that . . . especially if they're V8s!

I'm just mildly critical of most paeans to the idyllic, "simple" past because the regulatory "box" OEM engineers are forced to work in. 35 m.p.g. CAFE is the proverbial "800 pound elephant" that controls near-term performance car development.

Comment

Working...
                              X