Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR's smash 'em, crash 'em season finisher in Florida

Re: NASCAR's smash 'em, crash 'em season finisher in Florida

I never thought that NASCAR could become a bigger joke, but each day it gets worse and worse. Do I watch it for the fights or something else. Simply put I don't watch it at all. Very simply put there is no class at all in NASCAR. I simply cannot imagine this kind of stuff in any other form of racing. Surely there are individuals who don't like each other in any group including those on a race track, but to consistently base a whole series on who can hurt who the most is just inane. One day somebody is going to get killed during one of these grudge stunts. Now wouldn't that be a great thing to advertise?

Once in a great while I used to stop and watch a bit of a NASCAR race, but it didn't take long to switch the channel to something else. I cannot imagine paying to attend one of these debacles. I'm getting to the point that if something even says NASCAR on it I ignore i t and go on to something that doesn't attach itself to this motorized wrestling sport.

Comment

Ok, I'm putting Joe in the "no" column. :D
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I love to watch it when I can.
        There are guys that I like and guys that I dont like. Im not really a big fan of the crashes bu it was awesome when Hamlin dumped Keslowski.
        Obviously nascar is not for every one but I really enjoy it and I do my best to keep up with whats going on every week.

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Comment

How can one complain that NASCAR is boring, then get exited about NFL,MLB,NHL, NBA or the PGA?
            Truth is any sporting event on TV is boring, and racing seems to suffer this affliction more than
            "ball and stick" events. But, I would much rather watch the cars go round and round than see
            grown up millionaires playing kids games.
            When NASCAR went to the same template cars is when it really started to slide. If one thinks about it
            it happened to Trans-Am, and PRO-Stock too. When the cars loose resemblance to production units,
            interest fades as well. The cars need character as well as the drivers.
            As for smash'em and crash,em? I would much rather watch the right pass at the right time.
            And the fights? Go out in back of the gym, and duke it out there.

Comment

It used to be NASCAR stood for STOCK CAR auto racing. There's nothing stock about these cars. I saw the new Mustang for next year's Nationwide series - WHAT???? Without the decals of what looks like a Mustang headlight and taillight, it could be a Honda! Bring back the Stock cars and if a manufacturer cries that they can't compete, go back to the drawing board and design a car that will. Make them start with a factory shell and add the safety equipment to it and then we'd see some interesting racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon
                It used to be NASCAR stood for STOCK CAR auto racing. There's nothing stock about these cars. I saw the new Mustang for next year's Nationwide series - WHAT???? Without the decals of what looks like a Mustang headlight and taillight, it could be a Honda! Bring back the Stock cars and if a manufacturer cries that they can't compete, go back to the drawing board and design a car that will. Make them start with a factory shell and add the safety equipment to it and then we'd see some interesting racing.
                I think they already have that, but took it off speed for the most part to show nascar 24/7

It's called SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT series

See exclusive in-car footage from the SPEED World Challenge GT race on the streets of Belle Isle in Detroit.

Comment

I'm certainly not one of those who watches the races to see wrecks. Especially, after watching Earnhardt die in a crash. Now that I've met and spent time with three of those drivers; I don't want to see them in accidents either. (Waltrip, Earnhardt Jr, Newman.)

I watch the races for exiting races. Even though the coverage has improved ten times just in last decade, the races are still a bore. Anyone one remember the first Daytona 500 coverage from flag to flag in '79? Besides Allison face accidentally hitting Yarborough's fist? There were a total five cameras on the track and about two more on pit road. Now, they have more than fifty cameras and I fall asleep before lap 20. Maybe, it's because nearly half the field has already been lapped by then. Don't get me started on this Chase crap. They might as well have those 12 guys race all by themselves because no one else gets any coverage at all in the last ten races. Why bother having them on the track? If one of the 31 other guys accidentally takes out one of the chasers, or worse yet, takes out Jimmy Johnson; all holy hell would break loose in the Nascar suite. Why risk it? Oh yeah, a race with 12 cars is boring. Guess what? All of the races are boring.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

funny how it seems everything repeats, so I'm just going to quote a post of mine from a while back...

Last april 20th or so I was trying to tell my friend what is below but I couldn't make myself really clear to him, the videos help alot and if you read what's below watch the videos also.

There was a time when racing was 5 mph, nothing had ever been seen like it before, a mechanical horse.
                    what brand of oil, what brand of car would make it to town and back, it was really important. It meant something.

Movie clips from the first Vanderbilt Cup Auto Race,1904.A 300 mile race,the first international automobile race on American soil.

And it got faster, what tires could run at 60 mph without disintegrating. Racing was not only fun and exciting but it was causing serious advancements in auto technology. It was a legitimate worthwhile endeavor.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And there was big money in it.
                    Race on Sunday, sell on monday...

For a brand to show they had the best products, the products that could get you to town and back the fastest.. and not fall apart or cook meant something. And to show they had the "best" they needed the "best".. a good driver.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It meant something to be a good driver in those days.
                    As technology advanced and cars got faster the driver became more important. Companies were paying big money.
                    Some cars like the f1 were open cockpit pushing 1000+ hp weighing in under 1500 lbs... think driving a 2500 hp camaro to the limit with your head hanging out the window.. it was fast and dangerous. the drivers had to be good and they needed big balls and nerves of steel.
                    But by this point the cars were fast enough, faster than most any man was. It was the heyday of the racing driver. He had lightning fast reflexes or he couldn't drive the car, had to be almost psychic, nerves of steel and the balls to match. fans loved it, but there wasn't much else to do. no direct tv to watch, no gameboys and psp's... and the best were strutting what they had... and knowing the tiniest mistake would mean death

Amazing driving, this is the last 3 laps, of the French Grand Prix, the Renault (yellow car) is attempting to take the lead of the Ferrari, but it's not what...

around this time racing is getting the scrutiny b/c it's so dangerous, the cons outweigh the pros. Most advancements needed for your daily driver to make it to town and back have been done. They cap the technology and the benefit for the road cars is limited. GTP comes out, closed cockpit and more open rules. we get traction control and a few other tidbits from it (FI IIRC). My old boss told me before they raced street circuits they had to wed the manholes down or they would get sucked up.
                    Footage of the horrendous crash at the 1986 IMSA GT LA Times GP. From my racing video collection.

it was super fast and still dangerous..
                    and the technological advancements that were so vital start to die out.

nascar fills the void for a few years but by this point in time it is an ego show, the cars are super super safe, tuned down to pussified versions of them selves, no longer "represent" the manufacture they represent. The drivers are pretty faces meant to do one primary thing.. sell products. they can't race w/o the sponsor and the sponsor needs the pretty face to sell products. so here we are, a corporate car with corporate drivers. send them to any race track around the country and there will be two or three at each that will give them a run for their money or beat them.

so auto racing is no longer a viable sport, the cars are slowed, the drivers are pretty faces and the technological advancements are no longer there.. stifled by rules. (f1 tried KERS but it stopped there.)

there was a day it worth dieing for it, but now we might die to keep it, but surely not to advance it as it is good enough where it is. Gameboys and DTV are too nice.

You want the last real wordwide racing with divers that still have balls and skills to match? watch WRC.. oh, that's right FAUX network bought out speedvision and replaced it with speed channel and nascar... not that WRC didn't get it's same share of the safety nazi's back in the early 80's with the killer B's..

Group B regulations made the construcion of the most powerful rally cars of all time possible, but they also made rallying very dangerous. After serious acci...

3:10 says it all....
                    This video shows the darkside of Group B rallying and the most important events that lead to the cancellation of the series from the rally championship: spe...

and I can't blame them, again, my old boss had a helmet hanging on his wall. I asked him about it a couple times and he just smiled. he also had an uncashed $300K check hanging there too. finally I came to know it was his friends helmet that died racing rally.
                    it's not just from the safety nazi's as i call them, it's even from people like Alf .. and myself. People that have had to see or experience their best friends or family dieing while racing. and when the Big E died it was basically a sign of the times for nascar... even with the big faux push.

at least that's my take. hope you watched all the vids and understood what I meant and am coming from here.
                    RIP Eric Rivas 72-09

Comment

Ho hum ....

I can watch "Days of Thunder" or "Driven" and get the same thing, with better acting.

Comment

Working...
                      X