1967 Mustang Falls to Third Place in the East African Safari Classic Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 Mustang Falls to Third Place in the East African Safari Classic Rally

Re: 1967 Mustang Falls to Third Place in the East African Safari Classic Rally

Would this event be as super cool if it were open to any year car, I think NOT.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

the safari rally is where I learned of a car that was going to beat the beetles legend eventually, ignoring the crazy non-production vehicles of course....it is an old 90hp AWD subaru. This race is one of the major reasons I kept up a japanese car (of all things- it is still my only foriegn car to this day). This race buried alot of tire burners and madness with fantastically outrageous reality...

..and they did away with the real champions too apparently. Of course the revival of this race after rally stopped using it, banned all version of AWD production cars and made it pre 1974 (the frst AWD sube was 73- simply disciplined for existing) that would make an ass of it....
      nostalgia can be a real pansy sometimes.

After the loss of the Safari Rally from the World Rally Championship in 2002, rally enthusiasts led by Mike Kirkland and Surinder Thatthi decided to recreate the nostalgia of "The Safari" by reverting to the unique characteristics of the East African Safari Rally. The idea was to allow classic cars built before 1974 and to avoid the powerful turbo charged and 4WD drive cars. The stages, or sections would be longer and the service crews and back up would be limited just like in the early days.
      I am glad the race exists, in any version. Thanks for link.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As Aaron just pointed out to me - the old mustang pictured herein WON!

I believe that's a 351W based mill powering the beast - I'd like to learn more about the front end mods.... either way - another win for a classic mustang!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
        X