• Show
Clear All

• New Helmet Removal System Mandated for NHRA Pro Classes in 2010

Re: New Helmet Removal System Mandated for NHRA Pro Classes in 2010

Nifty idea.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I can see where this will help greatly, anyone that has been through first responder training will tell you that c-spine injuries are always made worse by the improper removal of a helmet. Even when done properly further damage can occur.

Comment

I wonder if SCTA (and therefore eventually ECTA) will follow suit? If I had a fast car I would be tempted to go with this system.

Dan

Comment

Sounds like a great idea and a monopoly.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

$60? DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
            JOE TIMNEY, do you stock this? ;D

Comment

so if a racer got a cracked head that you can't see and you use this.....
              sorry a air zip wheel and cut the helmet takes 15 sec's and doesn't chance anything..

Comment

Originally posted by urwurznitmahre
                so if a racer got a cracked head that you can't see and you use this.....
                sorry a air zip wheel and cut the helmet takes 15 sec's and doesn't chance anything..
                I am not an EMT or a member of the NHRA Safety Safari, but I do have a bit of common sense. If a helmet shows signs of impact, ANY signs of impact, I think the zip wheel idea has merit. The EJECT device is a quick and easy way to keep a person's neck stabilized during helmet removal and I think it is a great idea.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

It's a good idea but seems a bit expensive for a plastic bag that expires (I didn't see how long that was). There is a lot of safety equipment out there that is expensive because it's mandated. How much would a HANS device cost if no one required it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon
                    It's a good idea but seems a bit expensive for a plastic bag that expires (I didn't see how long that was). There is a lot of safety equipment out there that is expensive because it's mandated. How much would a HANS device cost if no one required it?
                    All safety equipment has a certain life span. I would think it's designed to last the life span of the helmet.

Comment

This is a great idea. One of those things that seem simple after somebody else thinks of it. I guess expense is a matter of perspective.

Comment

It says it's gonna save the limb functions of drivers in severe wrecks that could lead to neck trauma. Sounds like it's a good investment. My uncle almost been paralyzed because of such untoward event. Is it really $60? I think it's quite expensive, anyone who tried it?

Comment

60 bucks doesn't seem that bad to me - particularily if it lasts a season or more.

Comment

60 bucks that may make the difference between walking and having use of my limbs?

I'd pay 3x that....hell, it's worth whatever the cost is.

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Honestly, I always figured they cut the helmet off in situations where neck trama is suspected. Like cutting a cast off an arm.......
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X