Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker! GM Chief Resigns At Behest of Board

Re: Shocker! GM Chief Resigns At Behest of Board

Shape up (the company) or ship out. I'm all for some shake-ups at the top. GM has been sliding for a long time, they need new people running things. That said, not sure the guy who will be in charge after this latest deal is the best either. If you look back at GM history, they used to be run by "car men" and not people that used to sell dog food, or women.

We need car men at the top of GM and the various divisions. People that understand cars and the market, and don't leave the building at 5:00 bell. John DeLorean and people like him are needed now, before it gets even worse.

JMO

GM is no longer on the "fritz?"

Comment

HMM lets see how this played out.

Hey Fritz, we all got these new brief cases and it seems there is no cash in them, whats the dillio?
      Well, i am saving the company and reinvesting all the money that you normally steal!
      OH, that wont do at all, it cost $500 an hour to have the ricotta massaged in my wifes ass. you are fired!

Comment

Originally posted by FANTASY FACTORY
        HMM lets see how this played out.

Hey Fritz, we all got these new brief cases and it seems there is no cash in them, whats the dillio?
        Well, i am saving the company and reinvesting all the money that you normally steal!
        OH, that wont do at all, it cost $500 an hour to have the ricotta massaged in my wifes ass. you are fired!
        Thats pretty much it.

Comment

Why shouldn't the "Government Motors" Board be frustrated with Fritz?

The Penske/Saturn deal crashed. The Konnigsegg/Saab deal collapsed. The Board reportedly spiked the Magna International/Opel deal. GM's still losing money, even after stiffing all of the shareholders, bondholders, and other "unsecured creditors" in that travesty of a bankruptcy. GM even lost money during the ridiculous "Cash for Clunkers" give-a-way. About the only vehicle GM sells that's exceeding projections is the Camaro. GM trails a substantial portion of the industry on quality and reliability. Some claim GM's costs STILL aren't inline, despite the new union contracts. And some have suggested that China may eventually end up with a controlling interest in GM when it returns to public trading.

About the only tangible results of Fritz's term is that they killed Pontiac.

Not that "Mr. AT&T" from Texas will be any better . . . .

We probably should point out that John Z. Delorean is dead . . . and that he signed off on such product wonders as the Chevrolet Vega . . . thought a 130 h.p. naturally-aspirated PRV V6 was sufficient for an expensive sports car . . . allegedly tried to finance auto production through a cocaine deal . . . .

Comment

I was going to say something, but Speedzzter pretty much nailed it. Having three deals fall through so quickly is pretty much the death sentence for any CEO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbie Kincade
              Shape up (the company) or ship out. I'm all for some shake-ups at the top. GM has been sliding for a long time, they need new people running things. That said, not sure the guy who will be in charge after this latest deal is the best either. If you look back at GM history, they used to be run by "car men" and not people that used to sell dog food, or women.

We need car men at the top of GM and the various divisions. People that understand cars and the market, and don't leave the building at 5:00 bell. John DeLorean and people like him are needed now, before it gets even worse.

JMO

GM is no longer on the "fritz?"

car men at the top of a car company? thats crazy.
              thats like dell or hewlett packard having a computer builder at the top.

why would people want something that works?

damn, crazier than a 5 main boxer engine....

benz crank v8?
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                About the only vehicle GM sells that's exceeding projections is the Camaro. GM trails a substantial portion of the industry on quality and reliability.

You need to do some more research on that and separate the perception from the reality.

The board killed the Opel sale-nobody at GM wanted that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                  The Board reportedly spiked the Magna International/Opel deal.
                  Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                  The board killed the Opel sale-nobody at GM wanted that to happen.
                  It's been my experience in business that pushing deals the bosses "don't want to happen" doesn't usually result in continued employment.

As to quality, I seem to remember Tom Peters writing back in the 1980s that it's primarily based on customer perceptions. "Quality is what the customer says he needs, not what our tests indicate is satisfactory."

He wrote in Thriving on Chaos " I have owned a GMC truck for over a year. Nothing major has gone wrong with it . . . it's worse than that: About eight little things have gone wrong . . . . The problem is that even collectively these irritating problems aren't enough to warrant the inconvenience of a visit to the dealer. Therefore . . . each time I get in the truck, its as if a brhightly lit map of GM's falure to attend to detail flashes before my eyes. Frankly, in terms of my perceptions, GM would have been better off if the transmission had failed. I would have gotten it fixed immediatel, it would have been done with, and my memory of it would have dimmed."

In J.D. Powers' 2009 Initial Quality Study, it ranked the brands as follows:

Lexus
                  Porsche
                  Cadillac
                  Hyundai
                  Honda
                  Mercedes-Benz
                  Toyota
                  Ford
                  Chevrolet
                  Suzuki
                  Infiniti
                  Mercury
                  Nissan
                  Acura
                  BMW
                  Kia
                  Volkswagen
                  GMC
                  Buick
                  Audi
                  Pontiac

And in the hated "Consumer Reports" rankings (which sadly form the basis of a lot of "appliance motorists'" perceptions of quality) GM still gets regularly shelled. For example:

"The Malibu has been quite reliable in its first year. Both the four-cylinder and V6 versions we tested compete well with the top family sedans out there, but they do give up about six-to-nine points in overall score compared to the best-in-class cars. "

"It?s too bad that Cadillac has hit-and-miss reliability. The CTS and STS are both fun to drive sedans, but they haven?t been reliable."

"Both GM?s modern three-row SUVs (the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Chevrolet Traverse score an 80 with their new direct-injection V6) . . . . Unfortunately, the GM vehicles haven?t been reliable . . . ."

"Although the Corvette scores extremely well (92 for the awesome Z06), reliability has been much below average."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/03/consumer-reports-american-top-picks-2009.html

Comment

Working...
                  X