Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Swedish Video: Ice Racing a 1964 Galaxie 500

Re: Killer Swedish Video: Ice Racing a 1964 Galaxie 500

Gee, Brian, don't all winter beaters in snow country idle like that Galaxie . . . and fishtail around on the streets?

Speaking of fishtailing on snow . . .

As a young Speedzzter-in-training (which was too long ago) with a newly-minted drivers license, I was whipping a 455 Olds around on our little ice racing course (neighborhood streets) on the way to school one January day.

Friday, January 13 to be more specific.

After a particularly awesome fishtail, I floored it and the recap snow tires bit hard. Soon my brother and I were careening down "the straightaway," with the Rochester howling viciously under the flipped air cleaner lid.

Comment

. . . All was going brilliantly well, until it came time to stop.

A '63 Galaxie sat motionless at a stop sign. It did a good, albeit violent job of arresting the Oldsmobile's forward progress.

The Olds' doors wouldn't open. After collecting his thoughts, my brother started exiting "NASCAR-style" through the window. He suddenly disappeared, slipping on the ice.

I howled with laughter and began my own "Dukes of Hazzard" egress through the driver's side window. I landed on my keaster as well. More laughter -- this time from my brother.

The Galaxie's driver, a hysterical young mother with a toddler in tears wasn't amused. Neither were the cops. Or Mom and Dad . . . .

Comment

I've seen Jobergg's videos posted here on the forums a number of times, but it is excellent to see old Nascar rides driven as they were intended. :D ;D ;)
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Those crazy Scandanavians seem to know something about having fun with their cars that we uptight Americans just don't get.

Speaking of which-where's Arild been lately?

Comment

Im here ;).Im on a working trip longer north in Norway,and the hotel puter sucks.Must be powered by a Vega duke engine on its last set of liners ;D.

Cool to see this vid here on the blog.I have pushed scandinavian gearhead vids to show how its done over here.Hopefully you all find out how we do it when we want to have fun with our hobby ;).

Comment

Working...
            X