Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you pay $5,000 to go 200 mph?

Re: Would you pay $5,000 to go 200 mph?

I have $5000, but I have too many other fun things to spend it on in mind....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Maybe if it involved strapping a JATO to a Pinto for a closed-course pass down . . . Las Vegas Boulevard . . . Woodward Avenue . . . Cross Bronx Expressway . . . Van Nuys Boulevard . . . The Ted Williams (watch-for-falling-concrete) Tunnel on I-90 (a/k/a the Big Dig) . . . Okay, maybe I'd need something that handles better than a Pinto for that one ;D

Comment

I can't even tell you how much money I've spent to go 200 mph and I'm still almost 15 mph away from it!

Comment

If I had that kind of money laying around, I'd build/buy something that could. I'd want it to be more than a one time thing if I'm spending money on it. Hell, you could pick up a viper or something else that someone let get away from them for under 20K that still drives, if you don't mind a little body damage.

Comment

A few years ago, I had to change my drawers after going 168mph. No thank you, I have no desire to go through that experience again.
            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

It would be tempting - but then again, it might be just as much fun to build a 24 Hours of LeMons car, or grab a 125 cc shifter kart and take it to track days.

Comment

No. With whats laying around the garage and a ta on hand I think I could make it hit 200. It just wouldn't be legal by any sanctioning body. Hey there's plenty of road in Montana. They don't tecknically have a spend limit on the Interstate do they ?

Comment

Originally posted by 457Brodix

I can't even tell you how much money I've spent to go 200 mph and I'm still almost 15 mph away from it!
                  That's how it is for most Bangshifters (although most of us are probably further than 15 m.p.h. away from the magical Duo Centro)

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
                  If I had that kind of money laying around, I'd build/buy something that could. I'd want it to be more than a one time thing if I'm spending money on it. Hell, you could pick up a viper or something else that someone let get away from them for under 20K that still drives, if you don't mind a little body damage.
                  I'd hate to see what a $5,000 Viper would look like.

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                  No. With whats laying around the garage and a ta on hand I think I could make it hit 200. It just wouldn't be legal by any sanctioning body. Hey there's plenty of road in Montana. They don't tecknically have a spend limit on the Interstate do they ?
                  Sorry Bro. The last time I was in Montana, the speed limit was a wussy 75 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l..._United_States) . . . of course 75 on ice is plenty fun . . . .

Originally posted by jcharliem
                  A few years ago, I had to change my drawers after going 168mph. No thank you, I have no desire to go through that experience again.
                  For some reason your comment reminded me of A.J. Foyt's "shorts changer" at Riverside in '65 (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMt0LhpJGlE at approximately the 5:31 mark). Yet Foyt came back to win Daytona for the Wood Brothers, four Indy 500s and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Montana had a posted limit of 75 but for several years (starting in 1995) police were allowed to enforce the speed limit on a "safe and prudent" basis.

That was reversed in 1999, (they had the largest increase of highway deaths in the country during the "safe and prudent period) but there were some funny magazine articles written with people doing wacky stuff during the "outlaw" period. Namely Car and Driver who took a Pontiac Montana and drove it at full throttle (106mph) for long periods of time to test gas mileage (6mpg).

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Car and Driver . . . took a Pontiac Montana and drove it at full throttle (106mph) . . . .
                      That sounds about as fun as when I ran a Hertz "rentaracer" V-6 SN-95 Mustang flat-out for a handful of miles (several passes) on the access road to the Bonneville Salt Flats late one winter's night (top speed 115 m.p.h. (electronically limited)).

The whole time I was thinking: (a) there isn't a cop within ten miles of this place; (b) If I somehow manage to go off the pavement and tumble onto the then-flooded salt flats, there isn't ANYBODY within ten miles of this place . . . .

Comment

My "beat up a rental Mustang story" took place in Orlando. I was down there in 2005 for work and got a brandy new V6 Mustang. I bracket raced it at Speedworld that weekend. (Went three rounds!).

This was when the cars were just starting to show up on the roads so people were really gawking at the thing .Major disappointment for the crowd when they saw one legged burnouts and weenie six popper elapsed times.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Just sayin', here's a $15,000 viper

Little bit of body damage, good chance it's not stable at high speed, but whatever speed you do achieve, you could hit it whenever the mood suits you and more than once, probably.

Comment

They're offering some pretty neat cars but I'm pretty sure Zainfield and Bell is cheaper - and you have a chance to set a real record with a certificate to prove it. Sounds like a way for someone to pay off his fancy cars - not that it isn't cool.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 457Brodix

I'm with you on this, I was 18 mph short of that goal. The worst part is I know how much I spent, and it ain't pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X