Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepy: Sacramento Cops Pulling Cars Over For Smog Checks

Re: Creepy: Sacramento Cops Pulling Cars Over For Smog Checks

I said it when Chad went through it and I'll stand by it, "What's the big deal?"
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So my question to the CHP is, since this is voluntary, if I just ignore him and keep going can I be charged for disobeying a lawful order?...Shame on all of them whoring the badge like that!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I think it's more of a stop, say you don't have time (pick your reason), and move on. If they tell you to turn in and you don't you're probably likely to get pulled over.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          I think it's more of a stop, say you don't have time (pick your reason), and move on. If they tell you to turn in and you don't you're probably likely to get pulled over.
          But if it's voluntary and you do just keep going and they ticket/arrest you, what is their probable cause?

Comment

The test is optional, listening to the CHP directing traffic isn't.

If you're going down the street and come upon some guy that rear ended another guy, and the CHP is directing traffic for the tow truck, ambulance, etc. and you drive around the officer directing traffic (blatently ignoring him/her), wouldn't that warrant getting pulled over?

Comment

news flash.
              they've been doing this for years..
              my grandmother lived in hollywood..
              in a condo complex that had macclain stevens and david flicher(sp?) {think popeye}
              among others.. and they did those on side of road stops then..
              I was in my uncle's vw and we got tested..
              this was way back in 1978..
              nothing new.. they are just doing it more and more now
              grandmothers duster 1974 bought new out there, failed the test on side of road 3 times ,once a month after buy'n it..

Comment

Another example:

Sobriety check points, or Registration/Insurance check points. Same principle, if you are waved in, you had better go. The difference is once you're at the check, you can opt out of it, unlike a sobriety or reg/ins check point.

Comment

They are not (the CHP) technically trained on this stuff, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                    They are not (the CHP) technically trained on this stuff, are they?
                    It definately doesn't take a rocket scientist to run them things, I've seen the guys at the smog shops in So. Cal.

Comment

And that is my point.....the epa/whoever is running this crap is pimping the cops, shame on them. Of course everyone is going to pull over that is waved in, but its the point that they are using law enforcement as an intimidation factor to require people tp stop.

In colorado we don't do ins/lic checkpoints, only dui. The statute that allows cops to run the dui checkpoints dictates that the presence of the checkpoint will be announced via signage, and there will be at least one exit point from the roadway for the driver to turn off the roadway as to not have to be subject to the checkpoint.

As to quailifications, in Denver, the admin was always on us to write "smoker" tickets (visible emissions etc), but never gave us the traing to qualify us to testify in court. Cops always lost those cases, so policy was changed. If you wanted to write a smoker, you had to call out someone from the city that was epa certified.

Comment

Cops get "pimped out" to parades and funerals too among other things. In California the ins/lic checks like the dui checks also go in the paper a day or so before and give one exit point prior. I don't think they do that with these smog check points because you can say no, but I could be wrong they may give the same notice and exit point.

Comment

Cops get "pimped out" to parades and funerals too among other things.
                          But thats always an off duty job and they get paid like $65 an hour, at least around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                            Cops get "pimped out" to parades and funerals too among other things.
                            But thats always an off duty job and they get paid like $65 an hour, at least around here.
                            The average guy on the street (like myself) can't tell the difference between off duty and on, they're uniformed either way.

Comment

My point is, if it's not for actual enforcement purposes, they should not be giving the perspective that it is by using L/E to wave cars in. If it's a private company doing this, advertise, have a cop standing by if needed, but let the company run the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X