Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin College Kids Get Engines to Run on (Mostly) Water

Re: Wisconsin College Kids Get Engines to Run on (Mostly) Water

wtf? I guess they don't teach the basics of physics to freshmen until after they take their ENG 101 course?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      wtf? I guess they don't teach the basics of physics to freshmen until after they take their ENG 101 course?
      x2

And I'm disappointed this even made a blog item :'(
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

*cough* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...thermodynamics *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          Originally posted by squirrel
          x2

And I'm disappointed this even made a blog item :'(

Note the tone and tenor of said blog item.

Hell, you and Jim eat shit like this up! :D
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'm crying bullshit on several things here, but I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the students because I am fairly certain the reporter on this is an idiot and didn't write this correctly. So, even though this is a poor plan, and won't really work right, I give credit to the students for thinking.

With that said, can you believe the reporters statement that "Hydrogen is a more efficient fuel than gasoline, according to scientists." Wow, what scientists? They must have gone to really good schools.

Or, "Frankly, if Wisconsin got behind this, we could convert the old GM plant (in Janesville) into an electrolyzer plant and turn out vehicles that run on water," he said.

The technology could hold more promise than electric cars, which have a shortcoming of batteries that can only store a limited amount of energy.

"It's conceivable that we could get a lot of energy out of water," Anderson said.

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. Am I the only one in the world paying attention to the fact that we are running out of water? In the mid-west as well as here in California, where most of what the U.S. eats comes from, we are having water shortages. In California, salt water intrusion is a serious concern, as we continue to pump more water out of the ground. The oceans are then higher than the fresh water aquifers and so they start leaching into the fresh water. You can't water tomatoes with salt water.

So instead of using alcohol, or biodiesel, or something else renewable, lets instead suck up even more water. Great plan. Oh, and the fact that hydrogen just plain sucks at all levels, except with regards to it's exhaust, shouldn't matter. Oh wait, has anyone figured out how bad all that water vapor would be for the planet if we had millions of hydrogen powered cars running? Hmmmm. Better go ask for a multi-million dollar grant to figure that one out.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Better go back to horse and buggy. Anything else is bad for the planet.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The energy does NOT come from the water...it has to come from somewhere else. There's plenty of solar energy in California to split all the salt water you can pump from the ocean into hydrogen, oxygen and brine. It just costs too much to make the plant to do it.

and good luck getting the huggers to allow that much land to be used for something beneficial to mankind
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                  Hey man, Horses emit methane! :D
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                    Originally posted by Schtauffer
                    Hey man, Horses emit methane! :D
                    And they crap into are water run off :P

There is more energy stored in Salt Water than in Distilled Water, and short of finding a catalyst currently unknown to us, getting the energy from salt water is not energy positive either (and there would still be a waste of some kind for some one to bitch about).
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So is this the Hucksterism and Snake Oil Salesmanship 201 class? What we have here are the next generation of "Zmax" engineers.

Bob

Comment

How the heck do kids even get an education anymore in college?
                        Who is teaching this class? Not a science teacher!
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

There was a guy in Erie that actually burned salt water. I think he was trying to do something with cancer using different sound frequency to try and kill it and accidently discovered he could burn salt water. I see if I can find it, I read about it a few years back.

Found it

Comment

There was a guy in Erie that actually burned salt water. I think he was trying to do something with cancer using different sound frequency to try and kill it and accidently discovered he could burn salt water.
                            I remember.
                            But it used more power than it actually produced.
                            (back to the old drawing board)
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Anybody remember the HHO guy Jimmy Klein? Here is the link:

Jimmy Klein builds a car that runs on water. Here he converts H20 to HHO and integrates the technology into a hybrid car that run on both gas and H20. The ca...

Comment

Working...
                              X