Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick to Your Prius: Canadian Reviewer Pans Camaro

Re: Stick to Your Prius: Canadian Reviewer Pans Camaro

So any review that doesn't automaticaly heap nothing but praise on a GM product is worthy of derision? Has bang shift become Popular Hot Rodding,s site overnight or something? ;)

Seems to me that some of the points he made might be valid - particularily as they relate to the cheapness and poor fit & finish in the interior. (A shortfall the camaro shares with the challenger IMO)

The review sounds like the comments of a potential enthusiast who was mildly disapointed that the car didn't meet his expectations. Not sure how "stick to your prius" applys....

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
      So any review that doesn't automaticaly heap nothing but praise on a GM product is worthy of derision? Has bang shift become Popular Hot Rodding,s site overnight or something? ;)

Seems to me that some of the points he made might be valid - particularily as they relate to the cheapness and poor fit & finish in the interior. (A shortfall the camaro shares with the challenger IMO)

The review sounds like the comments of a potential enthusiast who was mildly disapointed that the car didn't meet his expectations. Not sure how "stick to your prius" applys....
      maybe because it's a sports car..
      and it's nut jobs like this , that have killed the stripper v8 car..
      the door pull come on.. even if it was a ford, a door pull..
      thats what he's worried about in a sports car..
      maybe a caddy or buick or lincoln..
      the media shits on the guages and placement in the interior of everything forgetting they are try'n to give the feel of 1969..
      and to do that you have the flaws that those cars had..

Comment

Why is he citing the "heft" of an LS engine when he's driving a sixer? I kinda wonder how "big" Derek McNaughton is, as I don't recall having any issues closing or openning the door of the Camaro I got in.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah - but when you are paying over 40 grand for a car is it really too much to ask that the plastic peices not be falling off inside and that all the screws are fastened tightly?

Comment

Yeah - but when you are paying over 40 grand for a car is it really too much to ask that the plastic peices not be falling off inside and that all the screws are fastened tightly?
            no ? there, but by the same token, media cars get beat to death, inside and out, and treated like a rend a wreck..
            you have to take that with a grain of salt..

Comment

The review was weak.

If you are comparing apples to apples (V-8 to V-8) then you can draw those conclusions.

He clearly doesn't know the GT doesn't come with a V-6. Comparing a GT and LS isn't real bright.

I'd say the reviewer knows his cars about as well as I know the leaves on the trees.

I have to agree on the door pull thingy.... What...? On a pony car...?

I too have read about the chincy interior panels. So. The originals have them too.

Gauge placement was more for aesthetics than ergonomics. Its a niche vehicle which is something this reviewer clearly doesn't understand. He'd most-likely wet his pants at the first clutch-dump in a C6 Z06.

He should be reviewing the Prius.....Cube.....Accord and other humdrum, boring, lemming vehicles and let real car folk review cars that are more than transportation.

fail.

Comment

Again, we agree...

I'm not sure urwurztwetdream is reading the entire article.... but if I pay $43,000 for a car then it damn well better not have "plastic trim pieces falling off"

Don't get me wrong, I love GM products because they always hit the junkyards fast and leave really good parts for the budget hotrodders / DIY crowd. But no way would you catch me being suckered into making payments on a new one. Not ever.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have to agree that at any price, a new car should have it's bits and pieces secured. Should be part of the prep as much as taking off all the plastic saran wrap. I'm aware that press vehicles take a pounding, CC had a Camaro get plowed by another motorist, not to mention what editors to do these things in order to make the job more fun.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    I have to agree that at any price, a new car should have it's bits and pieces secured. Should be part of the prep as much as taking off all the plastic saran wrap. I'm aware that press vehicles take a pounding, CC had a Camaro get plowed by another motorist, not to mention what editors to do these things in order to make the job more fun.
                    ah, magazine cars!

reminds me of a few years ago when Ford came out with their 6.4 TT diesel truck. They had a "special one" for the magazines. Diesel Power's guys brought it over to test on Spectre's chassis dyno.

That thing laid down about 300 more wheel horsepower than it should have. It was ridiculous. It got crazy good economy, made *unbelievble* horsepower, and was totally, absolutely, tuned especially for the magazines. Nobody got the same power or economy out of any of the production models. I thought our dyno was broken, it was so ridiculous!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I haven't driven a new Camaro, but I have sat in the v6 and heard it run. I thought it looked really cheap inside. A sea of grey plastic with poorly matched seams...

for 40g's ?

not in my lifetime.

great motor specs. It sounded like an import to me. good styling. gas mileage is better than I get through hypermiling. But imagine the performance and mileage you could get if the car was 1000 lbs. lighter. Like it should have been. eh?

nice car. just too fat and too cheap looking. and 15g too expensive.
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Again, we agree...

I'm not sure urwurztwetdream is reading the entire article.... but if I pay $43,000 for a car then it damn well better not have "plastic trim pieces falling off"

Don't get me wrong, I love GM products because they always hit the junkyards fast and leave really good parts for the budget hotrodders / DIY crowd. But no way would you catch me being suckered into making payments on a new one. Not ever.
                        well d/g it's a media car..
                        it be like you buy'n a used car and blaming the builder for faults at a hard run of 26k mile
                        and buy the way d/g the camaro SS2 is 33k
                        he tested the base v6 that is 21k
                        totally different interiors
                        oh and none of the camaros are 43k

Comment

d/g
                          snap +fail

Comment

I don't know if Canada has a mark up or not over US prices, because $43k is a bit out there.

To further sling a bit of mud. I googled the author hoping to find a picture to see if "size" was an issue with the door handle before I posted, AND it seems he is the Car Journalist for that publication. He has written a couple dozen or more car reviews in the past.

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                            ah, magazine cars!

reminds me of a few years ago when Ford came out with their 6.4 TT diesel truck. They had a "special one" for the magazines. Diesel Power's guys brought it over to test on Spectre's chassis dyno.

That thing laid down about 300 more wheel horsepower than it should have. It was ridiculous. It got crazy good economy, made *unbelievble* horsepower, and was totally, absolutely, tuned especially for the magazines. Nobody got the same power or economy out of any of the production models. I thought our dyno was broken, it was so ridiculous!
                            Glad to see some OEM shenaigans still go on, I was afraid they stopped in the 70's.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I drove my friends.I have no problem with the door pull and it seems to be put together pretty well
                              hes had it a few months and hasnt had a problem .Hes very satisfied with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X