Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am Action

Re: The Parting Shift: Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am Action

I love the freakin movie! My brother has a y82 TA just like that. Real POS right now but hes got everything for it and its
    going to the bodyshop soon.The story behind his car is great too.

Comment

That's exactly why I don't like the ride height and low profile tires on new car. I honestly wonder how a new Camaro, Challenger or Mustang would handle the road to off road to back on the road transitions seen in the video. It would be entertaining to see for sure.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

When filming on Two-Lane Blacktop was completed, the three '55 Chevys were relegated to the Universal Studios prop car storage lot. A studio mechanic spotted the three '55 Chevy hot rods on the back lot and bought the camera car since it was in the best condition of the three. He pulled out the Chevy big block for use in a boat and his son ended up with the car. The son repainted the car white with a candy-colored stripe down the sides and over the back, dropped in another 454, and drove it to high school as a daily driver. The car saw movie duty again when, during filming of Smokey and the Bandit, it was used to record motor sounds that were dubbed in for the TransAm. The '55 was sold to a new owner and it then passed through a succession of owners until 2000 when it was located in Canada. It has since returned to the United States where it has been returned to the on-screen appearance with most of its original components intact - including some of the original camera mounting brackets that had been welded to the frame.

Sorry no poncho sounds that good ;D

Comment

The sound you hear in the movie house and the actual sound of the cars made on set in most cases have nothing in common what's so ever. Half of the stunts filmed don't even use mics at all. Explosions have a tendency to blow mics. All the car sounds are usually added in by the sound effects guys in post production. Since most sound guys don't like noisy cars on set because it means they may have to go back in and re record actor dialogue in post as well. They do that in an ADR lab. My guess is that the cars had stone stock exhaust setups.

That said, I often thought a few of the cars caught a bit of rubber going into second. Maybe, we can get Bearphoto to video tape his 4 speed T/A on the throttle to compare.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Anybody ever noticed the Can Am scoops on a couple of the Pontiac cop cars? 4-door cars with Trans-Am style hood scoops.

The car that jumps the bridge had a really hot small block Chevy in it. Apparently they nosed over a couple trying to make that jump, because the Poncho motors are so amazingly heavy. Actually, the whole front end of a Trans Am is amazingly heavy.

They went to Lamar Walden and had him screw together a really hot small block Chevy, and gutted the nose of the car to make the bridge jump. I think Lamar did the installation and nose gutting too, but don't remember what he said now.

-Brad

Comment

Thanks Brian, I needed that today. The most unashamed beating of a '77 TransAm that I've ever seen... Greatness!
              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Yes, the glory days for Poncho fans.

Comment

The "Bandit" T/A.....good stuff.

Always knew the engine sounds were dubbed in, but knowing one of the 2-Lane Blacktop '55s provided the soundtrack makes it all that much cooler.

I like the T/A, but honestly?

I'd rather have that sweet old W900 KW with the "Clatterpillar" 1693(gotta have the painted-up fruehauf behind it)......word has it that Joe Klecko(of NFL fame, and had a cameo role with a NICE 359 Pete in S&tB II) has this very rig stored away somewhere in Pennslyvania(hasn't been seen in many years).

Comment

I loved that movie! Ihaven't seen it in so long I forgot hov badly they abused that car. I wonder how many they used .
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Perhaps the soundtrack is dubbed, but a few of the cars used HAVE to be four-speeds. I can think of the scene where the car does a burnout at a light (obviously a clutch dump) and another where it lays 5 feet of scratch in second gear (and where you can see rubber marks from the first take).

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                        Perhaps the soundtrack is dubbed, but a few of the cars used HAVE to be four-speeds. I can think of the scene where the car does a burnout at a light (obviously a clutch dump) and another where it lays 5 feet of scratch in second gear (and where you can see rubber marks from the first take).

My uncle Randy has a 78 Gold Edition that is an auto.....and it lays 5 feet or more in second gear when you are on it. I love that car.

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

If Buford T. Justice were here he would say:

"you see when i get you back home im gonna find the talleset tree in the country and then im gonna hang you from it."

by the way, I agree, definitely a 4-speed with a seriously juiced-up set up...

Comment

Buford T. Justice rules all....a friend of mine and I still quote Buford T. to this day...LMAO

......moose twit.

Comment

"YOU WANT SOMETHING?"
                              off camera "Hushpuppies"
                              "We aint time for that shit!"
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X