Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Big-Block Chevy Was Built Today at the Downsized Tonawanda Engine Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Big-Block Chevy Was Built Today at the Downsized Tonawanda Engine Plant

Re: The Last Big-Block Chevy Was Built Today at the Downsized Tonawanda Engine Plant

We'll remember it as "The day the thunder died"

So bye, bye Miss American Pie
    Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye singing "WHO WAS THE IDIOT THAT KILLED THE BIG BLOCK?"

:'(

Comment

Re: The Last Big-Block Chevy Was Built Today at the Downsized Tonawanda Engine Plant

Sad day indeed.....you would think that with all the PR/brand image that motor gave the General over the last 45 years, someone (anyone there??) at the top would have employed a more dignified swan song

The King is Dead, long live the King :'(
      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

On the bright side, now we have LS motors, which are way better.
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

While I am a fan of the LS series of motors and some of them are rather torquey,it seems wrong for there not to be a BIG BLOCK option for a truck. Double cab duallie w/even just two wheel drive with a car trailer/horse trailer (pick your poision) just seems to need one!

Comment

Re: The Last Big-Block Chevy Was Built Today at the Downsized Tonawanda Engine P

I'm sure the enviro-wackos are happy. At least I've got a 454 and my ZZ 502 and the aftermarket will continue.

Comment

It's called GOVERNMENT Motors for a reason, folks...... > > > > > > > > >
              http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

I hope Spidey doesn't see this :'(
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                  While I am a fan of the LS series of motors and some of them are rather torquey,it seems wrong for there not to be a BIG BLOCK option for a truck. Double cab duallie w/even just two wheel drive with a car trailer/horse trailer (pick your poision) just seems to need one!
                  I love the ft lb of a bbc but, no truck needs one anymore oil burners are the way to go, and if you want gas, new trucks with 6 speed trannys, will out pull a 4 speed automatic bbc , it's all in the gearing..
                  and with ls engines at 6.2 liters now,
                  sad day indeed, but the greenies are happy as a clam (bastards)
                  be there is a run on bowtie blocks, and they sell out of them soon

Comment

Its a sad day for New York as well. People think of Detroit as the home of American muscle but, as a New Yorker its cool to know how much Bow-tie HP came from our state over the years.

Once all this Global Warming sham is over, maybe us Americans can get back to building big inch OEM powerplants again.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I grew up on rat and mouse motors like just about everyone else in their 30's and up, and they will always occupy a really warm, fond place in my heart, but LS engines ARE amazing, and rat motors had been frankenstein-like propositions since they started screwing with the archetectures in the 1990's. There was a time when all I wanted in the world was one of those 454SS pickups in the 90's, until I saw the power ratings after they had de-tuned the poor motor...

RIP Tonawanda and thanks for almost 50 years of awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sport
                        I grew up on rat and mouse motors like just about everyone else in their 30's and up, and they will always occupy a really warm, fond place in my heart, but LS engines ARE amazing, and rat motors had been frankenstein-like propositions since they started screwing with the archetectures in the 1990's. There was a time when all I wanted in the world was one of those 454SS pickups in the 90's, until I saw the power ratings after they had de-tuned the poor motor...

RIP Tonawanda and thanks for almost 50 years of awesomeness.
                        I am right with you on this. @230 hp it was pathetic by regulat 5.3 ls standards. I'm sure the torque wasn't too shabby but after you get the thing moving it needs some hp .

Comment

Working...
                        X