Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Social Circle, Georgia, Drag Strip debated at Town Meeting

Re: Proposed Social Circle, Georgia, Drag Strip debated at Town Meeting

?Is there anybody here who can say if it was within 60 feet of your house and grandchildren, you would be for it?? asked Paul Duncan, and the ?not in my backyard? theme was clearly on the minds of a lot of possible neighbors.
    I wonder if there is any drag strip in the Free World that 60 feet from anyones' house.

How ridiculous. I wonder what Mr. Duncan would think of the growing Motorsports Club residential development concept? I mean people purposefully buying $500,000 to $1 million+ houses next to racing tracks.

(Of course if I'd have been there I would have probably quipped that 60 ft is too far away . . . .)

?I am very, very opposed to this,? said Cindy Hames. ?I believe this a dangerous sport, not only for the driver but those observing it. I don?t want to be anywhere near it. I can?t see it as a way of life to support in Walton County.?
    Gee, Cindy. Why stop at banning drag racing from Walton County? Why not ban it from the whole state? The whole nation! And what about all the other "dangersous sports." Skating, football, basketball, baseball and even golf can produce life-threatening injuries. Should those deadly pursuits be banned from Walton County, too. Too bad Cindy's apparently never heard of "assumption of the risk," or freedom of assembly, or the concept of self-determination.

The Planning and Zoning Commission will discuss the matter with another public hearing at its next meeting in January. The council is expected to hear the issue again, with another public hearing as well, in February.
    TRANSLATION: a group of almost anonymous, politically-appointed, unaccoutable busybodies, usually selected from the most vocal of the NIMBY class, will try to take some of the heat off of the City Counsel by (a) conducting another "show hearing," (b) ignoring the favorable comments and amplfying the baseless handwringing, and (c) then recommending that the strip be rejected on some trumped-up technical grounds. This will then give the Counsel a figleaf of political cover by "following the recommendation" of the planning experts.

This is SO predictable.

Comment

The woman refrencing the 1969 Yellow River incident is one of the craziest and most desperate things I have heard pulled out at one of these meetings.

Imagine if this were a hot air baloon launching/landing spot and she showed up refrencing the Hindenburg.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I live about 5 miles from the site of the former Yellow River dragstrip, and it's about 20 miles from the site they are proposing the Social Circle dragstrip. It's quite possible whoever brought that up personally witnessed the accident or knew someone who died there. The Yellow River dragstrip is now a trailer park (might make some interesting photos for a lost dragstrip series). There aren't any signs the place ever had any sort of walls along the side of the strip.

Comment

Screw the NIMBY group :P

We BSers need to start our own PRO-Grassroots group the GFTGGOM

"Gearheads For The Greater Good Of Mankind"

Collect food for chow at every track during every event, toys, cloths for tots at every show. Help every broken down motorist you see, help tune-up, wash and wax every local Fire Deptment Rigs, instead of Cash for Clunkers, we will start, Help for Clunkers, offering our skills in the world of auto repair for free for the needie ,lower income, elderly, and disabled.

Just my spin on how we can flip the finger to those who thing they are better then the collective gearhead group
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
            I live about 5 miles from the site of the former Yellow River dragstrip, and it's about 20 miles from the site they are proposing the Social Circle dragstrip. It's quite possible whoever brought that up personally witnessed the accident or knew someone who died there. The Yellow River dragstrip is now a trailer park (might make some interesting photos for a lost dragstrip series). There aren't any signs the place ever had any sort of walls along the side of the strip.
            Matt. please post an address for the trailer park so we can find a sat photo.

Comment

Kind of O/T but here is a group trying to get a track built on Long Island.

I think with anything the squeaky wheel gets the grease and it seem we (those who enjoy motorsports)
              are never squeaky enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                Matt. please post an address for the trailer park so we can find a sat photo.
                Try these coordinates in Google Earth:

33?36'41.17"N
                83?54'52.30"W

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
                  Help every broken down motorist you see, help tune-up, wash and wax every local Fire Deptment Rigs, instead of Cash for Clunkers, we will start, Help for Clunkers, offering our skills in the world of auto repair for free for the needie ,lower income, elderly, and disabled.

Just my spin on how we can flip the finger to those who thing they are better then the collective gearhead group
                  you may have been kidding, but that is a VERY effective way to get things done!!

A local group here in Omaha, participates with a church where they do vehicle maintenance for needing members... and those guys REALLY get their way, this is a killer idea.

Imagine if the NIMBY bitch was up against an organized charitable group - she'd have nothing to say. Gearheads need to be smarter, like you suggest!
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Car clubs in the 1950's while fighting the public hysteria about hot rodders were great at stuff like this. One of the most effective methods used nationwide (and potentially championed by the early NHRA Safety Safari) was to have business cards handed out.

Club members were basically sworn to each other to stop and help any motorist they saw having trouble. When they rendered help, they'd hand the people they just saved a card that read,

"You've just been helped by a member of the Cam Snappers Hot Rod Club" or something to that effect.

Those cards swayed LOTS of people away from the hysterical news-reel films of the day that depicted the "hot rod scourge" as bands of marauding teenagers running down old women and impregnating daughters to "normal" kids just doing what they loved to do and applying their mechanical skills.

It would be effective today like it was 50+ years ago.
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

. . . until some enterprising carjackers faked a breakdown so they could roll you and "kype your kemp" . . .er . . . "rip your rod" . . . uh . . . "lift your leaver" . . . um . . . "strip your streeter" . . . .

I do sort of miss the old days before AAA/motor club membership became almost mandatory.

Comment

Racing is a fine sport. Have any of you been to Social Circle? There are several established neighborhoods that would be near enough to the proposed drag strip that would be affected by the noise. I sure wouldn't want it in my back yard.

Comment

Of course you wouldn't. Nobody wants it in their backyard. :

Question: If that section of land was to be used for...let's say, for sake of argument, a National Guard training area...would there still be this kind of uproar? Not just meet and march stuff, either...Combat Lifesaver courses, with blank rounds being used...Search and Cordon procedures...PT (for the "loud" aspect of it all). Would that be challenged?

*shakes head*
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                          X