Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was This The Coolest Dirt Track Race Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was This The Coolest Dirt Track Race Ever?

Re: Was This The Coolest Dirt Track Race Ever?

Reminds me of a night at the late great Santa Fe Speedway near Chicago. They had Spectator Racing, mostly a demolition derby going in circles. This was before they had a class for smaller cars called Lightning Rods. Most of the cars were 60's land yachts, except one night the Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiast brought out a few Corvairs. They were weaving around everyone, lapping the field twice in one race. I think they were modified, where as everyone else just broke out the glass and raced. The Corvairs would have won every race, except that any contact from the big cars ended their racing day.

Comment

Brian,Langhorne Speedway was right across the Road(known as Buisness RT.1...)from REEDMAN Cheverolet/Cad/Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler...you get the picture...BIIIIGG Dealership,a place I work on the weekends(been doing it for over 20 years...). Anywho,nearly all of the old heads who work there remember the Track,and they all say that yes,it WAS dangerous,even a few of the folks who worked at the Dealership raced Cars(and Bikes...)got injured in accidents,ect,but many folks also have fond memories of the Track. Even the Dealership,pitched in over the years and providing various 'Pace Cars',Pit Vehicles,ect. Even a couple of workers with their own Cars got sponsership from Reedman. Today,the Track is gone of course,replaced with a small-ish Mall(which is takin' a serious beatin' from the crap economy...LOTS of closed Stores...)complete with a HUGE 'PACE' Beer distributer. Lots of famous Racers also payed a visit to Langhorne Speedway,even Mario Andrette,who's origionally from nearby Nazerith,P.A.. ~J/W.

Comment

I bet that was a riot to watch. I would like to see the Ferrari after the race. I imagine the body work needed was extensive. I wouldn't think that Porsche would have a chance in a race like that. Still it would have been a hoot to watch.

Comment

Working...
        X