Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Magazine Challenges Show Cars to Drive on Power Tour 2010

Re: Hot Rod Magazine Challenges Show Cars to Drive on Power Tour 2010

It may suprise many people that these cars a lot of the time just are not road worthy.

They will certainly find out on Power Tour if they are or not.

Cool challenge,hope it brings more of them out.
    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

"The really killer cars don't show up anymore" the article states. First off, if I was a Power Tour participant, I would be insulted. Second, have they noticed the toilet the economy is in right now? Many people don't have the money to build stuff now, or the luxury to take time off from work to go on the tour. I still like Car Craft's Anti Tour better.
      I'm guessing the show cars do only one thing well...look good. Think anyone with a show dog expects it to run around and play?

Comment

It's cool that they're asking these show cars out to stretch the gears, but did anyone notice this little add on the lower left page?

Sorry, but this looks just like the b?llsh!t Von Dutch and Ed Hardy crap everyone's wearing. Bad decision on HR's part IMHO.
        sigpic

Comment

Some poeple need to be smacked up side the head with a cresent wrech for the amount of money there spending on blue jeans.

Comment

I can see where the line of thought comes from...would be cool to see the SEMA cars prove their worth.

In a way, it reminds me of Rob Kinnan's editorial a while back when he called out show-dogs like the J2000 we all know of......I thought he was spot-on, by the way.

I can also see where this challenge could potentially backfire on HR....yeah, the rent-a-car folks that go along to say they "was there" does take away from the original intent of getting your hot ride out and having fun with it.

But the statement could give those who DO get their rods out the impression that their participation means less to them than the big-name builders trotting out the "superstars", and in turn could cause them to say "screw YOU, HOT ROD" and just stay home/do something else.

Hopefully folks don't take it the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
              "The really killer cars don't show up anymore" the article states. First off, if I was a Power Tour participant, I would be insulted. Second, have they noticed the toilet the economy is in right now?
              First off, yeah, I got one email from a guy with hurt feelings. But c'mon, I think the average guy can look at a million dollar SEMA show car and then look at his $5000 to $50,000 car and realize they are not in the same league. By many arguments, the lower-dollar car that's actually on Power Tour is more cool...ya think that might be what we're trying to show here? Hmm.

Second, the economy does not seem to have affected Power Tour. Plus the guys with lots of money still have lots of money, and a Power Tour trip will cost them 1/100th of what it took to build some of these cars.

Comment

It would be a great statement for these builders to flog their high end cars on Tour. It should be expected that a high dollar car can still function with normal road-going cars

remember the article in HOT ROD of the editors driving those cars all day? Some cars had problems starting, handling stop-and-go traffic. Aren't these expected for a street car?

There was also an article on a Mustang that the editors were track testing and the car broke. Not surprising for many of these builders who doesn't do thei homework. Who puts intercoolers on top of the motor with no air flow?

This call for these show cars to perform will be an interesting test. It could expose some builders for not having cars that actually work, while others can openly show how their product is durable and meant to drive.

I still maintain that many aftermarket companies out there simply don't do the durability and endurance testing of their products. They just shoot it to market to turn a profit and gain market share. 10,000 miles on some guy's products may completely wear them out. I guess it comes back to the concept of what a real street car is and does.

Comment

One other thought/perspective. If you are building a $100k car for a guy that is purchasing a look, with the understanding that he's going to be showing it and possibly not even starting it, do you use different design/build techniques than you would on a $40k-$60k car for a guy that want to drive it a few thousand miles a year. And should that be held against the builder if he's providing a product to someone who's willing to pay top dollar for it, since it may also allow him as a business to also stay in business and provide services for the regular everyday owners.
                  sigpic

Comment

The builder who brings the car on Tour gets tons of PR and looks like a hero, bringing more business. The builders who do not bring the car on Tour still got web, TV, and magazine coverage in an exclusive story, and they can always claim the owner would not bring the car. No one loses.

Comment

I love this, great idea.
                      It's very simple, Cars are meant to be DRVIEN!

Comment

DF I definitely agree with you, I'm just saying to lambaste the owners a little more than the builders that's all.
                        sigpic

Comment

Meh, If high end cars are there thats cool, if they aren't that's OK too.
                          When we go on PT, we drag out the the old '77 Lincoln with mild 460......too much original crap that breaks...and a trunk full of tools.
                          We could take quick, well built latemodel stuff, but we decided long ago thats not the point for us.

I can't blame an owner that sees their car as a piece of art not to drive it. If the love of the road isn't there, you can't force it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                            First off, if I was a Power Tour participant, I would be insulted
                            Originally posted by joebogey
                            DF I definitely agree with you, I'm just saying to lambaste the owners a little more than the builders that's all.
                            If a person worked so hard and he became a successful businessmen, created jobs for so many people, no time to do the wrenching and he has the money to spend $500,000 on a hotrod because he is a car guy, and has always been even before he made it big, he is no longer welcome in the hot rodding community. Because he is now officially rich, and rich people are bad

No offence meant but c'mon, guys aren't you tired of this? Is it really insulting to park next to one of Jay Leno's supercar that was built for him by some of his hired mechanics in a cruise in Burbank? These rich people are just as car guys like anybody here. Let's put it this way, if I inherit $10million dollars tomorrow, the first thing I'd probably do is to contact Troy Trepanier, or maybe Chip Foose or any big name is the business and spend a couple of hundred grand on my car so that I can bring it to SEMA, then drive (or maybe not drive) it to Power Tour...but until then, I'd have to settle with my cars. I have no problem with rich people driving (or not driving for that matter) expensive cars. Ain't crime to be rich

Comment

My point was that if I was a Power Tour participant, and read that the really killer cars don't show up anymore, I might be insulted...they are saying my car isn't "killer". Unless I knew it wasn't killer. I feel the cars that go on the tour are all killer. They are certainly doing more than I do.
                              The few guys I know that "had" big money to spend on cars, now don't. The guy who's cars I worked on, where cost was no object to get what he wanted, and always paid more than the bill, now is worried about making the rent. A couple other guys that once had free time are now doing work employees once did, trying to keep the businesses afloat. So thats just me, and my observation. But I think that many activities are being curtailed all over, not just the car hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X