Hot Rod Magazine Challenges Show Cars to Drive on Power Tour 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Rod Magazine Challenges Show Cars to Drive on Power Tour 2010

I don't mind people spending money on cars, even if it's crazy money. What I'm talking about is cars that are over-designed to the point they aren't useful anymore. I like cars, I like cars that drive. Who remembers Scott Sullivan's Cheez Wiz '55 or Troy Trepanier's [sp] '60 Impala. Those cars were as clean and polished on the bottom as they were on the top, but they were driven. I even remember part of a story where Troy had to build cycle-fenders for the front wheels on the '60 because the engine compartment was so nice and he had taken out the inner fenderwells. That's cool that they built a car and drove it. I just don't get building a car to a point where it no longer drivable.
    sigpic

Comment

Agreed, I hate trailer queens.

IMO, the rich folk drove the prices up, so
      only they can afford the cars "real" car guy's want.
      So, in that respect, I do hate rich guys.

Comment

My opinion, a car guy is a car guy no matter how fat his wallet is! If he has the passion, then how much his bank account is should not matter in a decision on wether you like a person or not. Too much now we tend to segregate in our hobby. Street machines cant go to hot rod shows, 4x4 trucks not welcome or frowned upon at car cruises. My opinion, all are cool and I love all things automotive, no matter what year, make, etc. Cool is cool no matter what form or make it is, or how much money the owner makes!

Comment

My problem really isn't with how much money the person has or how much the car cost. As an example, a guy in the car club my parents belonged to growing up had a '32 Ford pickup with a blown small block, he owned it for a long, long time. Was a dark burgundy color, with dark gold striping, except for wheels it looked like it came right out of the late 70's. When prices started going up he painted it bright-ass pink and sold it for a good chunk of change. In it's place he had built a 'glass '41 Willy's coupe with a blown 502 BBC, and requisite M/T Sportsman's. He took it to the strip once, got on it, it got squirrely and he shit his pants. The longest drive it goes on now if from the trailer to the parking spot. What a waste, he drove the snot out of the '32 pickup. Similarly, another guy in the club, Richie, would wheel and deal cars, buying one, fixing it up a little, selling for a profit and using that to buy a nicer car. Well he worked himself up to purchasing the '37 Ford cabriolet Yogi's built when they came out with their 'Yogi blue' color paint. Custom chassis, 'glass body, EFI 502 BB, and of course M/T Sportsman's. Well, he drove that car, I was personally in it when he showed me the power in the thing, flooring it at 55 mph and laying a good 50+ feet of rubber.

It's not weather the car cost $1500 or $150,000, but if it's built to be driven.
          sigpic

Comment

On power tour I saw the Ring brothers comaro, if you think "your" car is as killer as this thing you are mistaken.
            It looked great and I understand showing a car like that looking its very best to display your talent (in this case, a great deal of talent!).
            The point here, given my example, is that if either the Ring brothers or the cars owner would drive that thing for the entire power tour it would place that car at an even higher level of coolosity.
            There are other top tier cars that have done long hauls, the first to come to mind is Cadzilla!

Comment

Originally posted by 1970NOVASS
              My opinion, a car guy is a car guy no matter how fat his wallet is! If he has the passion, then how much his bank account is should not matter in a decision on wether you like a person or not. Too much now we tend to segregate in our hobby. Street machines cant go to hot rod shows, 4x4 trucks not welcome or frowned upon at car cruises. My opinion, all are cool and I love all things automotive, no matter what year, make, etc. Cool is cool no matter what form or make it is, or how much money the owner makes!
              I totally agree, although I'm not a big fan of trailer queens either, but sometimes I'm just tired of all the articles and the rants that the rich made the hobby unaffordable. Last time I checked AutoTrader Classic, you can still buy a lot of cars under $5K. The expensive cars are the rare ones, it's a simple law of supply and demand principle. Well, if you want a '71 Hemi Cuda Convertble, be willing to pay $2M for that because only 11 (?) owns that and not everbody is willing to sell it. Barret-Jackson for instance has been subjected to so much rants, but what we see on TV are the high end numbers matching cars, add the emotions to it makes it really expensive. But if you go to B-J, you can actually buy a lot of nice decent old cars that's fairly cheap.

I'm also a Mercedes guy, and what's ironic, in a Mercedes show, a guy driving a clean 1980 W123, gets the same respect with a guy driving a 1955 300SL without anybody blaming the rich why gullwings are so expensive

Comment

A car was originally built to be driven, so why don't people drive their cars? We come to expect that Riddler winning cars won't be driven, but a high-end car should still be driven. Its not our say as to whether or not someone wants to drive their car on Tour, but this highlights the fact that some cars, whether they are high-end or normal build cars, are not roadworthy and can't handle a long-term trip. I think this event will highlight that

Comment

Working...
                X