Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have to Own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have to Own

Re: Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have to Own

it might be a little bit of a stretch calling the SVT Focus a future collector car, but the rest of the list looks pretty good.
    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Re: Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have

"...Brian Wolfe?s masterful return to factory-supported sportsman racing through a limited run of supercharged Cobra Jet drag cars was undoubtedly the Bangshiter/collector highlight of the short 2009 model year."
      ;D ;D ;D
      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Re: Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have to Own

Originally posted by cobra
        it might be a little bit of a stretch calling the SVT Focus a future collector car, but the rest of the list looks pretty good.
        According to the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports, SVT Foci are already commanding a premium over their more common bretheren.

While I predict FWD cars from the "00's" will generally have below average collector interest, there will be SOME interest. Along with the SVT Focus (and possibly the Fusion Hybrid), there will likely be a niche of collectors interested in "pocket rockets" (e.g. some FWD Hondas, Cobalt SS, SRT-4, and some Mini variants).

Comment

If you WERE going to include the Focus I would have thought maybe the Focus Saleen version.
          I can't think of ANY other car that came NEW with a Nitrous Kit and a warranty!

Comment

Re: Ranking the Top 11 High Performance Fords From the Last Decade That You Have

I just blew up engine #3 in my 2002 Focus SVT on newyears eve.

I'm not that big a fan of them anymore...
            Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Sorry to whom I may offend

But calling a tie between a Marauder and Mach 1 is outright crazy. I cant recall the magazine test to determine the best daily driver of three Mustangs, maybe Hot Rod, but the Mach 1 beat out the Cobra and GT. I owned a Mach 1 it ran a 8.75 in the 1/8 w/ a 5 speed. It would top out at the factory cutout at 152, spin the tires at 100 shifting to 4th .It would also knock down over 20mpg with the 3.55 gears,It might only carry 4 adults but I guess thats why its called a 2+2.The only thing a Marauder do is sit in the driveway and hurt your eyes. They might as well and added the cop car Interceptor
              as well. I have busted a few of there doors also.

Comment

Woohoo, I made the list......well sort of. My L is a 02 but it is a one year only color and mine is 1 of about 1100.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Thought-provoking list.

Not that I resent or have any hard feelings toward the folks that own them (I don't), but I've always thought of GT40s (and Vipers for that matter) as 'fantasy' cars -- not really part of the world that I inhabit.

WRT Shelby's, appreciate the performance and unique styling (not to mention desire to cash in on the never-ending nostalgia craze), but a stratospheric price for a glammed-up Mustang leaves me cold.

Bullitts, Mach I w/shaker scoop re-visit, etc, all good. Power for the masses and lots of potential. Still think it was madness that GM completely abandoned the pony car field to Ford for that period of years when they ditched the Camaro. Thank God they've seen the error of their ways.

As for the Marauder, disappointed that the head office types didn't see fit to give it a little more pizazz, both in the styling and power departments. A good idea that didn't catch the wave I thought it could have.
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                    I just blew up engine #3 in my 2002 Focus SVT on newyears eve.

I'm not that big a fan of them anymore...
                    They don't take too well to turning past 10,000 rpm ;D (see milkovich's icon and you'll understand)

Originally posted by Boss69
                    If you WERE going to include the Focus I would have thought maybe the Focus Saleen version.
                    I can't think of ANY other car that came NEW with a Nitrous Kit and a warranty!
                    Most Bangshifters probably say "Saleen built a Focus?" Yep. And it reportedly earned them a $700,000 fine from the California Air Resources Board for tampering with emissions control systems.

Most any Saleen will be collectable. Even one festooned with as many tacky and unnecessary wings, vents, slats and Pep Boys gewgaws as Saleen's N20 Focus.

I was trying to give the list a more factory/factory-authorized slant.
                    Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                    Sorry to whom I may offend

But calling a tie between a Marauder and Mach 1 is outright crazy. . . . The only thing a Marauder is sit in the driveway and hurt your eyes. They might as well and added the cop car Interceptor as well.
                    Spoken like someone who has never spent any meaningful time behind the wheel of a Marauder. I suspect the folks over at Motor City Marauders (http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/) would disagree with many of your conclusions.

If the list were based strictly on factory-stock quarter-mile times or skid pad performance, the Mach I obviously wins. And most agree that Mustangs are generally the most sporty-looking Fords for almost any given year.

But as a milestone Ford muscle car, and the last of a breed (Oh no, here comes the SRT-8/G8/CTS-V fans to argue that point), the Marauder WILL be a collector car. The real point of the tie was to compare different-yet-suprisingly-similar retro rockets.

For a traditional Ford muscle fan with a family, or who needs a practical business sedan, or is over about 6'3", Marauders were much more useful than a Mach I.

BTW, here's a Marauder "sit(ing) in the driveway and hurt(ing) your eyes" to the tune of 9.759 @140.1mph . . . .

Originally posted by BluLightning
                    Woohoo, I made the list......well sort of. My L is a 02 but it is a one year only color and mine is 1 of about 1100.
                    Every year of SVT Lighting probably could have made the list. To narrow it down, I took a first/ last/biggest splash approach.

Originally posted by mlcraven
                    As for the Marauder, disappointed that the head office types didn't see fit to give it a little more pizazz, both in the styling and power departments. A good idea that didn't catch the wave I thought it could have.
                    Well said! The car was nearly a decade too late to market, looked too much like an ordinary CV/GM/PI Panther, was too expensive, and didn't quite have the stock sounds or power-to-weight to become an instant legend. GM had similar problems with Lutz's GTO. But unlike Pontiac (RIP), Mercury wilted at the first hints of domestic competition.

BTW, if you don't think such history tends to repeat itself, you haven't thought much about the tardy, expensive and understated new Taurus SHO (see http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/search/label/SHO)

Comment

Nice comparison on the Marauder thing, I guess tuned up with nitrous and or a supercharger? Do the same on the Mach, still blows the doors off of it. I am not impressed, I saw them run, yawn! All marques have a specialty group of people with 101 reasons why there car is, could be, should be on the top of the list. I don't think it matters of it being the last of a breed. The timing thing really don't cut it for me either, Impala SS did it in the 90's, Dodge is doing it today with the Charger RT ( I am not including SRT-8).
                      Sorry , I don't like the Marauder, I see them collecting dust on used car lots or Gramps garage, surely not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                        Nice comparison on the Marauder thing, I guess tuned up with nitrous and or a supercharger? Do the same on the Mach, still blows the doors off of it.
                        Well, YEAH! Losing 900+ lbs. of extra weight will do that everytime.

That doesn't make the Marauder any less of a milestone for Ford. It's just like the difference between a bruising left tackle and a wide receiver. Both have roles to play. Not every performance fan can live with a pony car. Some need 5,000 lb trucks (SVT Lightning) and some need/want fast, luxurious, practical sedans (Marauder).

I am not impressed, I saw them run, yawn!
                        I guess I'm not that jaded.

My theory, formed back when the original musclecars became collector targets, is that just about any V8 American car with limited production that has 100+ m.p.h. quarter-mile potential will probably sell at some point for a premium in the classic car market. And I also approve the theory that rich old car collectors tend to gravitate toward the fun cars they owned or coveted in their youth. The youth-motivated collectors will tend to trend Mach I. But some of the limited production muscle collectors will go Marauder, if for nothing more than to be different from the herd.

All marques have a specialty group of people with 101 reasons why there car is, could be, should be on the top of the list. I don't think it matters of it being the last of a breed. The timing thing really don't cut it for me either, Impala SS did it in the 90's, Dodge is doing it today with the Charger RT ( I am not including SRT-8).
                        Of course the Dodge is not a Ford product, so it wouldn't be on a collectable Ford list.

And the Dodge isn't really a traditional body-on-frame musclecar. It's a smaller unibody car with a Mercedes IRS and wheels-at-the-corners proportions. It doesn't much trace its mechanical evolution back to 1960s-style American muscle (except perhaps through the Gen III Hemi under the hood and the retro name). Marauder is arguably the last in a body-on-frame evolutionary line that dates back at least to the 1932 Ford V8. That being said, Dodge had a better business plan in the big RWD sedan niche than Mercury. Sadly Mercury didn't pump up the Marauder to take on the Mopars. BTW, the last of the V8 RWD Mopars (whenever that happens) will likely be collectable.

As for the 1990s Impala SS: Although the Marauder is a better car in virtually every measure, the RWD Impala SS will likely remain more popular among enthusiasts. And it's GM's last traditional body-on-frame musclecar, so why not? Without the Impala SS proving that some American buyers would accept a four-door musclecar, there would never have been a Marauder. Had Mercury hit this niche about seven or eight years earlier, they might have been more successful.

Sorry , I don't like the Marauder, I see them collecting dust on used car lots or Gramps garage, surely not mine.
                        Your experience is different than mine. I seldom see a Marauder for sale, and when I do, it commands thouands more than a CV/PI/GM/TC of the same age, mileage and condition. That suggests supply and demand is already at work.

But then other "oddballs" collected dust before collectors took notice. Edsels used to be a hard sell. But now they've got a dedicated following. Superbirds were almost impossible to move when they were late-model used cars. I'm not saying a Marauder will ever be as collectable as a Superbird (they won't). But when 95% of the cars from the 2000s have been scrapped, Marauders will have a higher percentage of survival than most sedans of the same era. That's because they're of interest to some folks (other than you).

As regulations and technical developments move most mass-produced new cars farther away from big RWD sedans, cars like Marauder will benefit from a "time capsule" effect. That often boosts collector interest as well.

Comment

My original post , Sorry to whom I may offend still stands, but still not sold on MM.

Don't skip past the issues ,
                          It wasn't about 900#, and your MM running whatever, it didn't do it stock. It was a barge, still is as long as Ford produces a Crown Vic. How is it a milestone? OK so its got a frame, whoopee.

Once again ,that select few(the mine is special crowd) will go to a MM ,the masses of Ford fans will go Mustang (cars Ford made,not Saleens or Roush), 1)Cobra 2)Mach1 3)Bullitt 4)GT and on down the line

I do fairly well in reading comprehension, I know Dodge isn't a Ford product, it was in reference to the fact of fullsize type cars doing well in the marketplace , MM never missed its place in the market, it never came close to even getting a grasp on it.

And while you do acknowledge the Impala SS as a 4 door musclecar and being accepted by the buying public, as you can see the MM wasn't accepted and therefore a failure of sorts, except to that special little group of MM friends.

I just think a Mach1 has enough balls, and is a car to stand on its own as a daily driver that gets the job done to be on the list by itself.

MM a retro rocket ?,namesake only ,rocket no, it would have to have some serious tuning.

It is a High Performance list, not a stuff your family of 5 in it list, if that was the case a 5 door Focus wagon should have made it also.

You can buy seat track extensions for the Mustang's if your to tall.

Amazing how double spacing my sentences makes my post bigger.

Comment

Lots of neat stuff there, but the '08 Bullitt is the only one that I really want to own, and I want one a lot. I never really warmed pu to the looks of any of the SN95's even though they are very nice to drive. I like the Maruaders-good for them for making them, but I'd rather just admire someone else's. I would still rather have an '86 SVO than everything on the list besides the '08 Bullitt.

Regarding the Superbirds-they were hard to sell when they were brand new. Many languished on the dealer's lots long after all the rest of the '70 models were gone.

Comment

The Edsel was a epic failure. Look now after all these years and there are plenty of folks going nuts for the damn things. The MM will, in all probability, take the same path. It may have failed when new, but will gail popularity with age. Personally, the MM is one of very few cars I would like to own from ANY era.
                              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X