Mustang Outsells Camaro for 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mustang Outsells Camaro for 2009

Over 60 thousand buyers wanted a 2010 Mustang. So it wouldn't make much sense to abandon the field to GM and FIAT for the whole model year, would it? I mean, GM's shameful 2003-2009 punt or Chrysler's 1975-2007 hiatus from pony cars didn't really work that well, did it?

Sure, it would have been better had FoMoCo been ready with the new high-powered bullets for the 2010s, but the logical alternative isn't just to quit for a year.

Comment

To all the Bowtie guys, just remember why the new camaro exists. Its because Ford hit something good with the 05+ Mustang.

And i cannot wait for the head to head with the new 5.0 and the new camaro next year...

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
        Over 60 thousand buyers wanted a 2010 Mustang. So it wouldn't make much sense to abandon the field to GM and FIAT for the whole model year, would it? I mean, GM's shameful 2003-2009 punt or Chrysler's 1975-2007 hiatus from pony cars didn't really work that well, did it?

Sure, it would have been better had FoMoCo been ready with the new high-powered bullets for the 2010s, but the logical alternative isn't just to quit for a year.
        I wasn't saying to not make a 2010MY Mustang just that it would have made more sense to wait a year to release with the new engines along with the new body.

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis
          Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot

I wasn't saying to not make a 2010MY Mustang just that it would have made more sense to wait a year to release with the new engines along with the new body.
          Okay. Maybe so. But Ford's traditional pattern has been to redo the exterior one year and redo the engines in another year. The theory is that it keeps the cars fresher. Just look back the launches of the 428 Cobra Jet, the original Fox body Mustang, and the SN-95 (of course the 2005 Mustang was a notable exception to this pattern)

I do agree that sending 315 h.p. Mustangs out to battle 400/426 h.p. Camaros was a dumb strategy destined to lose sales and expand Camaro's beachhead.

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
          To all the Bowtie guys, just remember why the new camaro exists. Its because Ford hit something good with the 05+ Mustang.

And i cannot wait for the head to head with the new 5.0 and the new camaro next year...
          True.

Comment

Yeah the Camaro has more hp, but is also has more weight. And lets not forget in the last years of the Camaro's and Firebirds days they had more hp, and better performance numbers than the Mustang and yet the Mustang outsold both cars combined. You have to remember the general buying public does not care about 0-60 or 1/4 miles times because they are NEVER going to race their cars. All they care about is price, styling, is it quick, and how user friendly it is. And 60 thousand cars sold is nothing to brag about, those are horrible numbers. A couple more years of those numbers and both car lines will be in jeopardy of being cancelled.

Comment

The Camaro sales would've been much improved in total numbers if GM didn't take forever to remove their thumb from their asses and get to building them. GM had 15,000 orders pre paid in full and they still couldn't decide. They needed more focus groups.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Perhaps the lawsuit over the tooling that prevented them from starting to build them when they wanted to had something to do with the delay.

It certainly wasn't "indecision" on GM's part to start production.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  The Camaro sales would've been much improved in total numbers if GM didn't take forever to remove their thumb from their asses and get to building them. GM had 15,000 orders pre paid in full and they still couldn't decide. They needed more focus groups.
                  The presales are non-issue. As far as I know GM currently doesn't have a backlog in Camaro's. I drive by a Chevy dealership everyday and they have at least 10 Camaro's lining the street, SS's and V6's. My point being that everybody who wanted to buy a Camaro this year already has.

Comment

Originally posted by pushrodpower
                    Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    The presales are non-issue. As far as I know GM currently doesn't have a backlog in Camaro's. I drive by a Chevy dealership everyday and they have at least 10 Camaro's lining the street, SS's and V6's. My point being that everybody who wanted to buy a Camaro this year already has.
                    There's a few that have been sitting on our local lot for a while too.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
                      And lots of excitement about the new 5.0...rumours of over 400 hp and possibly even revival of a Boss 302 limited edition? Blue oval fans should be salivating
                      what about a retro-foxbody? ;D :o 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X