Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed Drag Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed Drag Strip

Re: War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed Drag Strip

My evil side hopes to have some of them knock on my door with a petition...

Comment

Re: War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed

My home town shot down a track about ten years ago on the issue of 'noise'. Somehow they managed to get a law inplace that specifies that no track can be built within 5 miles of city limits. Thankfully one guy took his paintball course out of their tax jurisdiction and added a motorcross track right at the 5 mile line, on top of a hill that is about 1800 feet higher than town and now you can hear the fun everywhere on race day! The smarties in the city council also shot down a proposed steel mill that would have hired about 1400 people in a town of 30,000. Dumb asses.

Comment

Re: War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed Drag Strip

A guy tried to put in a circle track about 10 west of me, 5 or 6 miles north of town and they shot him down stating noise and traffic problems, there would have been 3 hard surfaced roads to get to the track only one going through the town.

Comment

reminds me of a line from the movie HOT FUZZ - "Its for the greater good"
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

This reminds me of a few other debates:

Everybody says we need more power generation - but nobody wants a nuke plant in their back yard.
            now - some folks dont' even want wind mills within certain distances of towns.... wtf is bothersome about a windmill?

Everybody wants another airport around Chicago - but - nobody wants it in their back yard.

Everybody wants to help small business and promote local commerce - but nobody wants a race track close to their town
            again - wtf?
            can you imagine the increase in hotel and restaurant traffic with a race track a short distance from your town?
            How about fueling stations? - those trucks pulling trailers have to fuel up somewhere...
            and - the track itself - they'll hire at least a handfull of folks, pay taxes on land that was likely otherwise unused, etc.

I guess we're still fighting the "hotrod" bad reputation the GI's had to deal with when they returned from WWII and started this great hobby of ours in earnest.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Windmills create low frequency noise that both travels far and causes a range of symptoms from headaches to upset stomachs. Or so an article I read in North Dakota that was front page news. It's apparently subtle, but there.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Re: War on Racetracks: Social Circle Residents Form Opposition Group to Proposed

What's odd is that Social Circle has a pretty big vintage vehicle cruise every week during the summer. Cars line up and park around the old Town Square.

How horrible that someone wants to set up a money-making venture within the city limits that would bring revenue to the city's businesses.

-Brad

Comment

Welcome to 2010.

Out - NIMBY
                  "Not in my backyard"

IN - BANANA
                  "Build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything"
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                  X