Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Re: Aussie Spec Ford Falcon is Dead According to Ford's President Mulally

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
      I say shit can the CLI-TAURUS and bring that bad boy to the states
      1,000,000,000x!

Mulally's screwing up on this one.

Comment

Ya - Mr. M has that bass-ackward, he needs to bring the Falcon to the states. So there. Bet 1/2 billion Falcon owners back me on that one. Taurus my assus.

Comment

They got this great car and they dont bring it here then kill it and they are selling in their home market.
          What dumb ass made that decision?
          It looks like a real sharp car too.

Comment

The Taurus was a sales disaster for Ford Australia when they tried selling them in the 90's there, A return would be disasterous as would any FWD derivative to replace the Falcon, they would be out of business down under in a year...
            Stupid ####ing decision....

Comment

Australians love their large-ish, rear wheel drive sedans and any decision to drop the Falcon for the Taurus will not be popular. Interesting that Mullaly said Ford Australia could still be involved in developing the RWD platform for the Mustang which would then be the only RWD car in the Ford line up. Why can?t they produce a 4 door sedan on the same platform as Mustang? It worked well for the Holden Commodore/Monaro - Pontiac G8/GTO.

Comment

Memo to Alan M.:

Sir

Cranial-Rectal Inversion has hit. Remove head and try again. Use supplied crowbar.

-F.of A.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Ford Falcon fans rally to save the make

FORD Falcon fans are banding together to fight for the iconic Australian marque's future.

Ford chief executive Alan Mulally last week gave notice that the Falcon might disappear as the company plans for only one large car platform for all world markets under its One Ford program.

Since he made the comments Save the Falcon groups numbering more than 2000 members have sprung up on Facebook, and Ford owners rallied in Cairns over the weekend.

Neil Newcombe, who organised Sunday's 40-car Save the Falcon rally from Cairns to Port Douglas, said the North Queensland Performance Ford Club would lobby Ford to continue Falcon production.

"We'll let them know how strongly we feel about it,'' Mr Newcombe said today.
                  `
                  "From an Australian point of view we want to keep (the car) as Australian as we can.

"I'd rather be travelling in a car that's preferably Australian designed and made.

"Knowing where Ford are going to go with their One Ford program, if we can get as much Australian design into it as we can, all the better.''

Mr Newcombe said he and others objected to any shift to front-wheel drive, with rear-wheel drive better suited to Australian conditions and for conversion to utes.

"Front-wheel drive utes just don't work,'' he said.

A One Ford model could also cost the Falcon its power plant, Mr Newcombe said.

"If they go front-wheel drive we're going to more than likely lose the V8,'' he said.

Mr Newcombe said new technology meant the fuel consumption of V8s could be kept to reasonable levels.

One Ford fan has even called for support from long-term competitor Holden.

"If they stop making the Falcon, Holden will suffer as well'' because it will mean the end of the V8 Supercars motor racing circus, Steve Li posted on Facebook.

"We'll have some crap front-wheel drive thing from the US, so even the Holden fans should show their support.''

The first Ford Falcon was introduced into Australia in 1960.

Comment

I read today that they will be keeping it. It will have something to do with the next Mustang.I think the article said the chassis will be shared.

The current FG Falcon is safe for at least another four years as Ford's local spearhead and plans are beginning to integrate its replacement into a new-look, globally-focussed One Ford organisation.

Comment

well .ford is going in the correct direction..
                      the falcon.. is 4 door rear drive..
                      the American 4 door family(full size..ha ha) is front drive or all wheel drive..

now I'm a g.m. guy.. but did anybody that's all ford all the time think that maybe it's not that hard to make that all wheel drive car.. only reardrive????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
                      so they'll end up with one under pinning.. for the world markets...
                      front drive/rear drive or all wheel drive...
                      and in doing so.. makes it COST AFFECTIVE TO HAVE A REAR DRIVE SPORT 4 DOOR CAR IN THE STATES....

but that's just my take.. but what to g.m. guys know anyways

Comment

I read that the 2011 Ford explorer is going to switch to a Unibody platform in lieu of a truck-based chassis. Does anyone know what platform they will be using for this?
                        Ford Falcon's unibody platform is also used under the Ford Territory SUV in Australia. The Territory is rear wheel drive or AWD five-door wagon available with f or 7 seats. It's probably a bit smaller than the current Explorer.

Comment

yet another super brilliant move by the non car guy management types
                          the holden LSX keeps on stomp stomping along

Comment

I started down the road today to get me a good look at a Pontiac Holden before they are gone forever. Doors were closed.

sad days.

If you believe the reports, there could be a Holden built Chevrolet in the coming years. At least a Police car anyway!

Comment

Working...
                            X