Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedzzter Says: Why Do Automotive Engineers Hate Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedzzter Says: Why Do Automotive Engineers Hate Us?

Re: Speedzzter Says: Why Do Automotive Engineers Hate Us?

LOL...maybe one of those John Milner-types can help you get the tank off your chest... ;D
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

If ONE GUY engineered the whole car if would turn out OK...
      You forget it's a committee of thousands that contribute to the whole.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Amen!! I'm in total agreement, I have cursed my share of engineers working under a car or in a server/ disk array farm...sometimes it seems they never considered anything beyond even general maintenance.
        Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

I like the "Emotion" "Logic" dialogue style, pretty good.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
            If ONE GUY engineered the whole car if would turn out OK...
            You forget it's a committee of thousands that contribute to the whole.
            Oh stop being so logical!

HE HATE ME! ;D

Comment

Yep, he hate me, definitely.

Or its benign indifference fostered by being a cube hog in the great corporate gut.

Comment

lmao....great story!

and of course we all know the answer:

Now it just about takes a friggin? college degree to keep one of these modern wonders of planned obsolescence running.
                They don't want you to keep it running.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  lmao....great story!

and of course we all know the answer:

Now it just about takes a friggin? college degree to keep one of these modern wonders of planned obsolescence running.
                  They don't want you to keep it running.

It's all about the Benjamins, as they say. Planned obsolescence is very true. And to implement such obsolescence, they can use less expensive materials when building things than ones that would last longer, or they go with a bolt that's one size smaller than you think it should be but satisfies the design, or material thickness that's a little thinner than it could be but satisfies the design, and so on. If you plan on a part lasting for 100,000 miles or 5 years or so, it can be built for less money than a part designed to last for 1,000,000 miles. It's all about design tradeoffs, and with the auto companies making the least expensive product possible while holding together well just long enough to not piss a lot of people off is the overarching design requirement.

Comment

although things have changed, working on the 99 silverado (200k miles on it) is a lot easier than working on the 87 Suburban (140k miles on it and needed a lot more work).

Generally that 80s stuff really sucks from a repair viewpoint. Ever count vacuum hoses on a 80s hondacar?
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Generally that 80s stuff really sucks from a repair viewpoint. Ever count vacuum hoses on a 80s hondacar?
                      You have to use calculus, as it approaches infinity :P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Reminds me of my stupidest purchase (and trust me, I've had some doozies).... I bought a CVCC that the PO had taken all the hoses off to clean up the engine compartment...... after several weeks of trying to fix it, I finally parted it out (then used the shell for target practice with my 300 mag ;D)
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

<<<<<<<<<<<<Maybe you've been there. The in-tank fuel pump on some aging EFI car has quit. You're in the shop lying on the frigid concrete. The cheap plastic siphon pump you bought to drain the nearly full tank just made a huge mess before it broke. (In-tank fuel pumps never seem to poop out when the tank's empty--in contrast to Chinese siphon pumps that blow out when the tank's about full.)

The tank strap bolts are somewhere in the dark void between the rear axle and...who can see what?s up there? The ?rough service? light bulb in your trouble light just quit, so you?re working blind again!

It doesn?t matter much anyhow because there?s so much corrosion on the strap bolts that the ratchet (fitted with a huge ?cheater? pipe) can barely turn them a quarter turn.>>>>>>>>>>>

All that describes my last job at work, changing a fuel pump in a rusty 2002 Chevy pickup. The cage nut for the back tank strap spun in the frame, and of coarse its in no-mans land. I tryed everything (the bad lanaguage tool didn't help at all) to remove it WITHOUT using the torch, only to give into the blue tip Gods.

My biggest fear, a plastic gas tank, and a red hot cranberry crossing paths.

The pump took 30 seconds to swap once the tank was on the floor-but it took me three hours to R and R the tank.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

you need to move to AZ, we never get rusty tank strap problems here.

But of course every tank gets filled up when the car acts like it's out of gas because the pump died
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

a good read, I liked it!

Reminds me of last Thanksgiving where replacing a simple fuel filter on my brother's Yukon (03 I think?) turned into a seven-trips-to-the-parts-store pain in the butt.

Special tools required for ONE of the two fittings on the fuel filter. The filter was a part number that WAS NOT the same s the one all the computers said it should be (Autozone, Advance, and O'Reilly's). Who knows, maybe it had been wrecked by previous owner... anyways, finding the right tool became quite the challenge, took us about 3 hours to get the job done...

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X