Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Rant: Peter DeLorenzo Fires a Salvo at Shelby

Re: Great Rant: Peter DeLorenzo Fires a Salvo at Shelby

A very well aimed one, too. What races has Shelby's team won lately?

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
        A very well aimed one, too. What races has Shelby's team won lately?
        The race to the bank

Comment

DeLorenzo's just copying me . . . .

http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2008/...be-partly.html

http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2008/...r-what-is.html

http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-gunfight.html

(just kidding. The "Autoextremist" himself likely has no knowledge of the foregoing criticism).

However, to be fair:

1. Shelby is a brand. A lot of premium brands coast on past racing glory. Bentley, Bugatti, and Aston-Martin immediately come to mind as having periods of substantial coasting. Some brands, such as Lamborghini have never done much in motorsports.

2. Sports branding really isn't all that tied to current competitive success or active involvement of the namesake. They still sell "Air Jordan" shoes notwithstanding that Michael Jordan's been retired from the NBA for years. Converse still sells "Chuck Taylor All-Stars," too. Does anyone really think that long-retired boxer George Forman knows anything about engineering an electric hamburger grille?

3. Shelby was a pioneer of the American tuner car market. But for the Shelby cars of the 1960s, would there have ever been later tuner cars from Saleen, Roush, Hennessey, Lingenfelter, etc. Or kit cars from Factory Five and the other Cobra knock-off companies? Maybe, but it's clear that many of the concepts behind the tuner car busines in America were first proven by Shelby.

4. The Shelby brand appeals to "brand aspirational" buyers. To a hard core Bangshifter, buying a new Shelby may make as much sense as chicks blowing hundreds of dollars on shoes from Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo or handbags from Louis Vuitton or Coach. But to those who want to be noticed for their discriminating, relatively exclusive taste in brands, Shelby remains the ne plus ultra of American tuner brands.

5. Because the market supply of 1960s Shelbys obviously outstrips demand, it's only common sense that Shelby Automobiles would "cash in" on the heritage.

Comment

So DeLorenzo is faulting Shelby for...what??? Making money when/where he can, selling something that's completely legal to folks who are more than happy to pay whatever it costs?

I'm not advocating for Shelby products here, but its been a sweet gig for Carroll Shelby, Shelby owners and -- I suspect -- a lot of blue collar folks too (presumably the darn things don't engineer and build themselves).

I say feel free to bash the 'hype' and even the cars, but leave the man alone. He's earned his icon status -- it wasn't handed to him on a silver platter.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

and most of that "silly money" is going to heart transplants and studies...

Comment

Peter DeLorenzo - I really like the guy and tune in each week. While we all have our own opinions, I have read the guy for a few years and IMO the guy is a prophet, situations he predicts usually happen within 12 to 24 months (e.g., GM bankruptcy, Cerberus & Daimler investing near zero in Chrysler resulting in few desireable products).
                a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by arrowhead
                  Peter DeLorenzo - I really like the guy and tune in each week. While we all have our own opinions, I have read the guy for a few years and IMO the guy is a prophet, situations he predicts usually happen within 12 to 24 months (e.g., GM bankruptcy, Cerberus & Daimler investing near zero in Chrysler resulting in few desireable products).
                  wow he can see what everybody else saw coming..
                  did he say that those German rats were gonna suck mopar dry, money wise then sell off the carcass

Comment

I'm a total middle class guy that saved his money and bought a used GT500.
                    Its crazy when I get on the Shelby boards what people will pay to have stuff signed and then are so happy for it.
                    I bought the car because of how easy it is to get into the 11's and still commute it 60 miles a day.

Don't blame the man you say? I'm not sure how much he knows about the day to day operations but the "$20,000 KR hood" fiasco shows where their head is at when it comes to customer service.
                    One would think spending $30,000 for the KR conversion after buying a $47,000 GT500 would get some help after the sale in the unfortunate event of an accident.

Check it out and be scared....

I'd never buy a GT350, you could never get it repaired if it was wrecked.

Comment

for 23.5 you could get harry's glass to make you one..

I'll take a zo6 please ,
                      and all this does is make insurance co. say nope we're not insure'n that

Comment

23.5 for what?

Do you mean Hairy Glass?
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          23.5 for what?

Do you mean Hairy Glass?
                          thats what a road kind hood goes for,,
                          and you have to ship the smashed one back on your dime

Comment

Shelby would sign your left butt cheek if you gave him a $100 bucks. It's all about the money and the legacy. I wonder if his kids or grandkids, if he's got any, will keep the name rolling along.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                              Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              23.5 for what?

Do you mean Hairy Glass?
                              thats what a road kind hood goes for,,
                              and you have to ship the smashed one back on your dime
                              Considering you can buy an entire pro mod body from those guys for $6,000 bucks, there's no way they'd charge 23K to make a hood.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X