GM Brass Challenges Ford To A Diesel Truck Tug of War, Literally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM Brass Challenges Ford To A Diesel Truck Tug of War, Literally

Gentlemen: Its clear that the replacements for the venerable 7.3 Powerstroke diesel have been dismal failures. Bad enough to break the partnership wth International/Navistar, etc. One of my best friends is a mechanic for the Sacramento Metro Fire District. At one point every one of the new diesel trucks was back at the dealer with engine problems. His advice has been to stay away from the new engines.

For me, I'll either look for a pampered 7.3 or go to a Cummins when I replace Big Red.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
      Gentlemen: Its clear that the replacements for the venerable 7.3 Powerstroke diesel have been dismal failures. Bad enough to break the partnership wth International/Navistar, etc. One of my best friends is a mechanic for the Sacramento Metro Fire District. At one point every one of the new diesel trucks was back at the dealer with engine problems. His advice has been to stay away from the new engines.

For me, I'll either look for a pampered 7.3 or go to a Cummins when I replace Big Red.

Bob
      why a 6.2 gas with 6 spd auto. would tow the same and get better mph when not towing

Comment

You guys can piss and whin all you what about fords diesel programs and you guys are right to some degree.But ford does build a better truck than g.m. and they will last longer than g.m. and dodge for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by kenworth jon
          You guys can piss and whin all you what about fords diesel programs and you guys are right to some degree.But ford does build a better truck than g.m. and they will last longer than g.m. and dodge for years to come.
          I kinda have a hard time considering the Ford as the "better truck" when I have to skip the part about the engine not running.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Now scott you are just bitter towards the ford diesel and my truck has always ran even in bitter -20 below zero with no help starting it. Plus i have plowed thru four foot deep drifts of snow and never, never ever have i been stuck and needed to be pulled out.

Comment

Big Red is an '88 F-350 diesel crew cab dually pickup with 350,000 miles. I'm well aware of the sturdiness of the Ford trucks. But the next truck I buy I hope to be the last truck I buy. And, to DGs point, the engine is the most important part of it.

Kenworth, the points you are making are fine, but I live in California and hope to never again in my life see the conditions you are talking about. I'm also not certain that they have anything to do with the quality and longevity of the engine. They may say something about the quality of the starting system and the drivetrain.

I'd like to stay Ford, I'd just look for a pampered 7.3 powerstroke.

Comment

Now scott you are just bitter towards the ford diesel and my truck has always ran even in bitter -20 below zero with no help starting it. Plus i have plowed thru four foot deep drifts of snow and never, never ever have i been stuck and needed to be pulled out.
                shit, for a Ford fanatic I kinda expected you to claim that it always starts when it's -200 degrees F, and that it'll drive right through a 10 foot snowdrift while towing your neighbor's broken down Dodge. :D
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott i cant lie that much that would be wrong for me to do that.I can only them the truth for what i have done with my f250 in years past.

Comment

Nearly all the trucks that do any kind of 'work' here in N.E. Ohio are Fords. You just dont see any Gm's around in this GM biased area. Sorry if I lean towards Ford trucks, but personal experience shows they hold up better in work conditions. I dont think there would be much to learn having them pull each other. You can go down to truck-nite and watch the kids do it all summer long. Its fun to watch, but proves very little. Just my .02

Comment

Working...
                    X