Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Find: 1972 Lincoln Mark IV

Re: Roadside Find: 1972 Lincoln Mark IV

I really like these (and to a lesser extent, it's twin, the Thunderbird). Great styling and yes, these barges are seriously optioned out and plush. I think it started with the Thunderbird from The Crow with the blower out of the hood. I want one of these, dropped low, I'm thinking somewhere around 514ci out of the hood, black with red gut. These things to me look like pure evil.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

We've used at least 9 of those for Demo Derby cars....I'll find the pics...we also used a 70 model Mark III ...the ultra rare(after we used it) extended WB version.Apparently the Mark III was offered in 2 WB versions.....not sure why.
      The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

While huge, I always liked this body style because this is a one year only before getting fuglyed with 5mph bumper bits...
        It sucks that they neutered the 460 the way they did, with 72 having the worst heads ever and the pistons being 0.025/30 below deck. (vs previous .005)

If you are bucks down these can be huge fun!!! Slap in a tiny RV cam to work with 7.7:1 compression, nonemissions timing chain, recurve the dist, Edelbrock Performer intake and a 750 carb, 3.00 gears in the 9", good sounding dual exhaust, 35 dollar B&M shift kit in the C6, leave the hubcaps with 15x8 steelies to fill the wheel well and have a blast. It won't lay crazy rubber,(too heavy) but its not slow either. It will get around 14mpg on the highway and run on cat piss gasoline. Expect to get all sorts of thumbs up at gas stations, store parking lots and ball games! Expect to be shunned at real car shows......(the comment "hey man, wheres the curb feelers" while cruising will make you chuckle)

I will mention if you do build a motor for one, Hooker super comp 6126's are almost a direct fit after shortening the collectors and you build your own hook-up pipes to catch the crossmember humps.

They are way to big to do anything super crazy with. I built a younger brother 77 Mark V on a very tight budget for my father in law. Three Power Tours and we're planning on a forth in 2011!
        Build up;

Comment

I love these .Best year for the Mark 4.They had 4 wheel disk's .Id Daily Drive this too if it wasnt for the salty roads here.

Comment

I wonder how much Huggy Bear wanted for this....

Comment

i hadn't seen one of those cars in years till i took these pics.
              The owner scored the car from the original owner..sweet boat.
              u always see the 4doors around, hardly ever the two door

Comment

You guys are nuts.I had to check the calander to make sure it wasn't April 1st...

Comment

The white Continental 2 door is sweet too! New cars suck even more when I look at these!

Comment

Not a bad car but I'm more of a fan of the III or V.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I just stumbled across this forum and the comments on the 72 Mark IV. I have owned one very similar to the Roadside Find for 35 years. Two years ago I put some punch in mine with a rebuilt Mark III engine, UltraDyne cam, forged pistons, ported and polished D0VE heads, headers, Holley 770cfm street avenger carb, Mallory distributor, CompCams roller rockers, K&N airfilter and some dress up. It should be pushing about 430HP at the flywheel with about 550+lbft. I replaced the 2.80 open rear end with a 3.50 Traction-Lok. It will melt street tires, both of 'em. I have some pics of the body restoration and finished car on CarDomain:

If I can figure out how to post some pics here, I'll do it. I have actually won my class in a couple of local car shows in the Houston area, so there is still some appreciation for these land yachts...

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman
                        We've used at least 9 of those for Demo Derby cars....I'll find the pics...we also used a 70 model Mark III ...the ultra rare(after we used it) extended WB version.Apparently the Mark III was offered in 2 WB versions.....not sure why.
                        Yeah, and just imagine how you'll feel in 30 years when the few surviving examples of these cars will probably sell for the kind of money that 1930s "full classics" auction for today.

Comment

Originally posted by hot460
                          I just stumbled across this forum and the comments on the 72 Mark IV. I have owned one very similar to the Roadside Find for 35 years. Two years ago I put some punch in mine with a rebuilt Mark III engine, UltraDyne cam, forged pistons, ported and polished D0VE heads, headers, Holley 770cfm street avenger carb, Mallory distributor, CompCams roller rockers, K&N airfilter and some dress up. It should be pushing about 430HP at the flywheel with about 550+lbft. I replaced the 2.80 open rear end with a 3.50 Traction-Lok. It will melt street tires, both of 'em. I have some pics of the body restoration and finished car on CarDomain:

If I can figure out how to post some pics here, I'll do it. I have actually won my class in a couple of local car shows in the Houston area, so there is still some appreciation for these land yachts...
                          Pretty car man. ;)
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
                          X